HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2018 : Group Stage Matches - Final (12-16 December)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I would say that was a big big point. Surely one of the factors the game got changed. If possible, check that in video. Verma had to fight against himself psychologically . But it was too late to happen . And shi yuqi rightly attacked and took advantage as any player would do in the third game to win the match.

However , no one can 100 percent say that point would have defined the winner. But yes a crucial point. I hope bwf reviews and fixes this such that in future , nothing like this happens.

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Sindhu will become the new champ. It is about time that she wins a trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anks and Baddie lover like this.
  3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

This BWF final tour is made to give huge advantage to CHN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. azerez

azerez Regular Member

5. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Definitely something wrong with the newly commissioned red flooring -- not the color -- but perhaps TOO new? As in some chemical film from the production process hasn't been quite cleaned or worn off?

They should have an additional process or requirement to "roughen up" the surface before the actual tournament begins -- so many players have problems braking/sliding... Okuhara pointed out that she had to move more carefully/ slowly during her first match against Michelle Li; that's why it was so close...

6. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

So advantage to CHN for familiarity because Li Ning sponsors the Chinese badminton league as well?

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    1. yes, it sucks the courts were slippery, but they are slippery and dangerous for everyone. i see no distinct advantage/disadvantage for anyone. they get a chance to practice on the courts before the tournament starts.
    2. the color? again, no distinct advantage/disadvantage for anyone because they get a chance to practice on the courts before the tournament starts.
    3. referees can't do anything except allow/request more frequent mopping of the courts.

8. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Only those shuttlecocks that the majority of the tournament entrants vote for should be used as in this way, there is no room for complaints afterwards when the matches are being played.

The colour of the flooring should not have any bearing on the play of any particular player but it should not be of a material that will cause the player to have to change from playing their normal way as they do in other tournaments.

There should be technical video replays available to the umpire when there is a good possibility that a player has infringed when playing, for example, a net shot such as the one played by Shi Yuqi when his racket clearly went over the net onto Verma's side before the whole of the shuttlecock had had an opportunity to go over the net to Shi Yuqi's side.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Momota
    Sindhu
    EndoWatanabe
    LeeShin
    ZhengHuang

I think 1 of the match can be decided by retirement or something like that. Closest will be MD.

10. minions

minions Regular Member

I hope JPN team can win today. Three years ago, KM and NO won SSF together. It's nice if they can win together again. As for Endo/Watanabe and TakaMatsu, they will prove that they are as worthy as the teammates that they "sacrifice" in India last month. No hard feelings. I like JPN team in general.

Forestal likes this.
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

It's not only 'Developing' countries. Any country whose people know about proxy can watch it. Hope Japan has that capability.
    Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I like TakaMatsu and I think they deserve the WTF title despite the controversy. Momota is definitely the top favorite here. They deserve the best of the bests title if they won the finals today.

But I just can't say the same about Endo/Watanabe however I look at it.
    As for the WS, TTY as Top seed and world's no.1 plus CM as WC withdrew. Though both NO and PVS deserve their slots in the final.

This year's year end finale has been off in many ways, it's not living up to what their supposed "the best of the bests" this tournament to be all about. And with the hall condition, shuttles, unfamiliar court, players injuries etc, not exactly a perfect way to promote badminton's Best Tournament of the Year. Well, I guess that's just my personal opinion.

13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

So, this is mine:
    Okuhara
    Momota
    Yuta/Endo
    Tak/Mak
    Wang/Huang

14. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Really don't see much hope for Okuhara or Takamatsu.

PVS
    KM
    No clue, probably Li/Liu
    Shin/Lee
    Zheng/Huang

15. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

this is lame. Its his prediction, he spoke no hateful words

16. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I see his hate
    He said he hate Momota because of his fan. I agree, love or hate is normal, very normal in sports.
    But he hates even Nishimoto, the man who hasn't title yet, not many fans.
    If this is someone else, it's normal, but with him, I can see it clearly.

I try to keep peace, but with him I will enjoy his angry by the result today.

#1236 terrynguyen121988, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  17. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

I think Okuhara stands a chance. TakaMatsu could stand a chance if they get a good start. Endo/Watanabe have a positive head to head against Li/Liu though (2-0), and with an injured Li, Watanabe can get the most out of his deceptions even in a slow hall.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINALS (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...D25C8F-6A9A-49DE-97FC-E58E3DB74CF1&d=20181216

The rivaly between China and Japan described in finals day, securing four representatives each, following by India and Korea to fill two remaining slots. China has guaranteed XD title while Japan is favoured to pick MS crown, equal chance in women's category also men's doubles as well.

WS, Pusarla V.Sindhu (IND) v Nozomi Okuhara (JPN)
    H-2-H : 6-6 / WR : 6 v 5
    A titanic clash and rematch of memorable 2017 World Championships final in Glasgow, high possibly will be long match yet entertaining for badminton enthusiats. Starting from Rio OG 2016 Sindhu had cruised into some major events after that, 2017 & 2018 world meet, 2018 Asian Games, 2018 Commonwealth Games and last year Dubai Finals. But unfortunately, she failed to top podium for that many attempts, this time another chance for the Indian darling to make it happen. She overcame several top guns en route to final, Tai Tzu Ying, Akane Yamaguchi at group-stage. Against Ratchanok Intanon in semifinal, she lost focus despite had good lead in early stage of second game then regained her form to edge out Intanon at the end, 25-23. Former champion Nozomi Okuhara powered past her compatriot Akane Yamaguchi yesterday with accuracy and steady play as both players have good retrieving skill, just Yamaguchi committed more errors while Okuhara played neatly.

XD, Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong (CHN) v Wang Yilu/Huang Dongping (CHN)
    H-2-H : 7-0 / WR : 1 v 2
    An imbalanced stats that indicating the world number one pair are the clear favourite to add title collection and conclude their magnificent season, 8 BWF World Tour titles plus Asian Games and World Championships gold medal. Zheng/Huang dropped opening game to familiar rivals Thailand dynamic duo Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai then back to business at next two games to speed up the tempo combined with some excellent placement. On earlier day, Wang/Huang were forced to work harder by All England champion Watanabe/Higashino but still the Chinese number two prevailed, took the hefty leading in deciding game, it's too little to late for the Japanese to catching up as Wang Yilu seemed exhausted at end of match.

MS, Shi Yuqi (CHN) v Kento Momota (JPN)
    H-2-H : 0-3 / WR : 2 v 1
    An ideal final according to both finalists world ranking but there's a wide gap that differentiate Momota and Shi YQ in terms of technical skill, mental department and experience. The very consistent Momota in cruise control destroys his opponents including Son Wan Ho who couldn't do too much to trouble World Champion who dictated whole match with his element. Contrary with home favourite Shi, almost tasted the defeat, he needed to dig deep to eliminate Sameer Verma, little bit of luck to force deuce in 19-20 position. Verma outplayed the nervous Chinese in opening game easily, 21-12 then Shi came back to lead 8-3 but shortly the Indian back to surpass him and neck to neck until crucial second game. In final game, Verma lost concentration, psychological impact that he almost won the match as Shi released his burden and starting to play freely, Verma saved three match points before he smashed wide to give Shi a final ticket, 21-17. An uphill task for reigning All England champion to topple solid and confident Momota, China is desperately to seek their new number one MS player towards Tokyo 2020 but it's still doubtedly whether Shi Yuqi is the right one.

WD, Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN) v Lee So Hee/Shin Seung Chan (KOR)
    H-2-H : 3-5 / WR : 2 v 7
    Korea WD pairs suddenly pose biggest threat to shake Japan domination in this category, it's the resurgent Lee SH/Shin SC who stun some Japan formidable combination lately. Lee/Shin knocked out world champion Matsumoto/Nagahara convincingly in semifinal with powerful smashes that flat footed their opponent. Next, another Japanese pair will await them as last hurdle, the Koreans won over the Olympic Champion in last three encounters so a worriying sign for Japanese fans that would be sad ending here. Matsutomo/Takahashi had big difficulty to take first game against Chinese debutants Du Y/Li YH, only vast experience that brought them to seal definitive set, 22-20 then home pair retired at second game as Li Yinhui got right knee injury at 11-3 position.

MD, Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen (CHN) v Hiroyuki Endo/Yuta Watanabe (JPN)
    H-2-H : 0-2 / WR : 2 v 8
    Endo/Watanabe made superb comeback to dispose Danish combination Astrup/Rasmussen after trailed behind 5-12 / 12-16 then won first game, 21-19. It's one-way traffic in second game as the European Champion lost the energy and psychologically hard to regain their focus, ended the semifinal tie, 21-13. Home towering duo Li/Liu failed to take opening set, thanks to Chen Hung Ling unpredictable placement to balance fast paced Chinese pair. The World Champion who never won any World Tour title in 2018 played much better to apply their normal gameplan to grab next two games. A close contest is projected for last match of final day, surprisingly the Japanese won their two previous meetings, Li/Liu need better strategy this time to answer their losing.

It'sMeMeMe and yuquall like this.
  19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Got most predictions right except for Astrup/Rasmussen and All JPN final. Not bad.

My prediction according to their performances in this tournament so far
    WS : PVS
    XD : ??/Huang :D ?? : mind says Zheng but heart says Wang
    MS : Momota
    WD : Lee/Shin
    MD : Endo/Watanabe

20. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Lol. Actually you are in depression / angry or whatever you call it.

This is just a game. Don't be so emotionally involved .

Take good care of your health. Cheers.