HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2018 : Group Stage Matches - Final (12-16 December)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2018.

1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

i surmise the shuttles travel just fine....just that they aren't fast through the air....

here in indonesia cheap shuttles are everywhere with dozens of different brands and with environment condition being relatively constant being it's a tropical climate country i can definitely tell which of the cheap different shuttles go fast or slow....not that i said they use cheap shuttles.on WTF just that shuttles do differ

2. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

No, currently slow halls/shuttles (just like fast halls/shuttles) are perfectly acceptable for BWF tournaments -- what is up for discussion is HOW slow...

BWF might want to tighten up the permitted "range" for their temperature/humidity/speed requirements.-- and prevent BOTH extremely fast AND slow halls/shuttles...

3. It'sMeMeMe

i happen to agree somewhat with this last paragraph.... however lets look at tennis for a moment.... nadal rules on clay and federer sucks on clay.... so nadal n federer are not complete player ?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

So since shuttle speed is the easiest of all the variables to control, can't BWF carefully select the proper shuttle speed that is more appropriate for slow halls so that smashes still retain their sting?

I mean, BWF says they are the fastest racket sport in the world. But they are on the verge of failing that with this WTF and very likely the Tokyo OG since it'll be held in a slow hall too.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

$!#$#!%$! it minions!! You withdrew and took Zhang Nan down with you haha:p

That sucks. They had played 2 matches and in the first one Marcus got injured. The same goes for CYF and TTY. Not really fair that they had to be at the bottom when they had at least won a match (except CYF)

6. minions

minions Regular Member

Okay, let's get back at the main topic. One hour later, the SF matches will begin.

As usual, WS remains as the most competitive category. Even without the world number one, TTY and the world champion, CM, the SF matches are still interesting. One is all JPN match between AY vs NO. The other one is PVS vs RI.

For the match between AY vs NO, it is the battle for JPN WS1. Whoever win this match will get the status as JPN WS1 and occupy the second rank at the world ranking at the end of the year.

7. It'sMeMeMe

hmmm you kinda misunderstand....hmm how to explain this ...as far as i know the shuttle speed rating is related to temperature ...like if you search through google about shuttlecock speed you'll get a table about speed 77 shuttle is used when temperature of the hall is between 20-26 celcius or something for example or speed 75 is used when 30-36 celcius maybe....however this speed rating doesn't account for how fast it travels through the air, it's more of travel distance....hmmm maybe someone with more experience can explain better duh...

8. It'sMeMeMe

ye better get back on topic before Mod with big pitchfork comes:D:D:D

9. minions

minions Regular Member

Hahaha, sorry, my other half is injured. Injury is the real nightmare. I should wear an anti-injury accessory throughout the match. :D

Btw, I am wonder what if the points from WTF will follow the ATP World Tour Final format from tennis. Does it make the WTF better?

I never see the Mod's pitchfork. :D

Now that INA has none in this SF, I will become JPN supporters for today and tomorrow. You surely want to root for JPN ladies, right? :rolleyes:

10. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Can you tell me if the points will be added to the players who have retired ?

11. It'sMeMeMe

ye i'll root for matsunaga probably...the tall girl is one of my favorites though i kinda doubt they can win WTF...

as for the rest i only hope.they give entertaining fights.... 1+ hour matches pls and i'll cheer for whoever playing

12. minions

minions Regular Member

Yes, I have checked about the players who retired during SSF/WTF in the past few years. The players who retired in this WTF will get points equivalent of R16 WT1000, which is 4800 points. However, the players need to actually play in this WTF to get points. CL qualified to SSF last year, but didn't get any points because he withdrew just before his first match began.

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

A really bad ending and unexpected result that all INA representatives can't advance into knock-out stage. Japan surpasses host China to secure their spot in all five categories.

Kento Momota has revenge mission over his defeat to Son Wan Ho in HKG Open semifinal last month. This time the fresher world champion will be favoured to snatch final ticket considering his excellent form. Practically, the Japanese star has comfortable way to dispose group-stage opponent, giving single digit scoreline in second game for Verma, Wangcharoen and Sugiarto. Interesting to watch whether Son WH has another game plan to face the crafty Momota. Home leading man Shi Yuqi will take on Indian darkhorse Sameer Verma, the agile and resilient Indian overcame Shi in Denmark Open first round last October, so it's possible to repeat the successful here. All England champion assured group A top position after edged out Chou Tien Chen in two tight games while Verma frustrated Thai young star Kantaphon Wangcharoen yesterday.

Japan has guaranteed one final ticket through WS, former World Champion Nozomi Okuhara against defending champion Akane Yamaguchi. These two Japanese ace facing off each other frequently with head to head stats favours to Okuhara. The other semifinal clash will pit the in-form Pusarla V.Sindhu opposes Ratchanok Intanon, last year beaten finalist Sindhu has superb run, thanks to her persistence and determination. The skillful Intanon has on-off performance along 2018 including her showing in group-stage, had promising start then followed to be error-proned in next game. With Tai Tzu Ying injury and the absence of Carolina Marin, these four semifinalists have equal chance to progress.

A quite patchy if we look MD semifinal draw, reigning world champion Li JH/Liu YC are favoured to clinch final berth, the Chinese towering duo won six times of seven encounters over Taiwanese pair Chen HL/Wang CL. A good prospect for home favourites as biggest stumbling block the Minions are already out of competition following Gideon unwell condition. European champion Astrup/Rasmussen will be extra motivated as independent pair to do well in this most lucrative tournament, the only Danish representative will up against Japan senior-junior combination Endo/Watanabe.

Who will stop Japanese pairs to extend WD triumphant, a repetition of group-stage matches that witnessing Matsutomo/Takahashi and Matsumoto/Nagahara will face once again Du Y/Li YH and Lee SH/Shin SC respectively. The Koreans will be potential candidate to deny all Japanese final tomorrow, Lee/Shin losing three games to world champion and they should have better tactic this time to thwart Japanese ladies score two consecutive victories.

Mixed doubles goes to China unless Thai pair Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai or Watanabe/Higashino could spark the big upset, defeating Zheng SW/Huang YQ also their teammates Wang YL/Huang DP. A slim chance if we looked their convincing feat prior to semifinal stage, won all three matches with two straight-sets in group-stage. Well, it's challenge for others to shake Chinese domination in this discipline.

SEMIFINAL 1 (11.00am)
    upload_2018-12-15_9-32-11.png

SEMIFINAL 2 (06.00pm)

upload_2018-12-15_9-32-53.png

azorjon, yuquall and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  14. minions

minions Regular Member

NO takes G1 21-17. Well done. Let's go, NO!

15. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Typical game between the two. AY virtually scores all the winners, but also all the (unforced) errors. No really just needs to keep it in.

16. minions

minions Regular Member

NO and AY keep chasing after one another. At one point, AY is in the lead. But, after some time, NO is in the lead. The cycle continues.

17. minions

minions Regular Member

NO wins the match in straight games. She advances to the final. Nice!

18. azorjon

azorjon Regular Member

We'll see NO in the final folks!

Also we're witnessing the umpire recovering from his flu throughout this week.

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Shocking performance. At this point, opponents just have to keep it in and AY will do the rest for them. She'll score a few nice drop shots and stick smashes, but nothing that should worry a good player.

20. It'sMeMeMe

ouch.... expected better from AY

oh well i wouldn't mind PVS vs NO final i guess.... that is if PVS can beat RI...