HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2018 : Group Stage Matches - Final (12-16 December)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2018.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    don't hold your breath on that one. conditions in any hall can go through subtle changes on any given day.

the host/organizer picks the hall since they are paying for it.

bwf referees pick the shuttle speed.

i like the variety in hall conditions throughout the year. definitely makes the tournaments more interesting. it also creates better all around players at the top of the ranking.

#841 samkool, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    fnd80 likes this.
  2. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Higa/Wata and the Danes advance with just one win? :D

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Seriously, you said it was hard to exchange views or whatever, when it was you who twist words and not making any sense.
    You asked questions, I answered.

You said double players themselves that really matters, but when players complained about the condition, you brushed it off. Watching the matches yesterday, even Li/Liu would have wished they were playing with faster shuttles. But of course you don't care, it doesn't matter to you when players got injured or fatigued. Because Chen Long never complains about fatigue.

Stop being defensive. It's too slow for MD, and that's that. Even Gill and Steen mentioned it many times about how slow the condition was for MD. That's what this argument was about all along. WE, the spectators and commentators etc, would prefer some hall or shuttle that is not too slow for doubles. Not a word on suspecting any foul play behind it, you were the one who kept defending the hall or the shuttles selection as if there were something fishy about it, just because someone made a joke.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

If anyone thinks it's too slow for MD, then what about WD? Man, I almost fell asleep watching WD!

Supposedly the Japanese hall for Tokyo OG is also slow. That doesn't bode well.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. wade

wade Regular Member

Birmingham arena are still my favorite venue.

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

exactly, I want this variation to be exposed further by explanation and indication for more audiences to have even better understanding and a certain type of reference on the influence to the performance of the players

right now, newbie badminton lovers cannot fathom why they play 'badly'. only said, yeah the hall is slower
    that does not help at all in increasing the excitement of expectations (which is an important aspect when regarding entertainment)

I certainly understand how fluctuative weather in certain part of the world. Like here in Netherlands, suddenly the next day the temperature drops 10 degrees just because it was an extremely cloudy day. Not even talking about the influence of

However, you certainly can do it in a table format for an average value for yearly information:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaExpected avg hall temperature aaaaaExpected avg hall humidity aaaaExpected drift aaaaaaCondition with low spectators
    All England aaaaaaaa23
    Indonesia Open aaaaa27
    Changzhou China aaa??

Then AT THE MATCH TIME, another indicator shown again for the real number. Just like in football match.
    Make the game a bit more scientific while at the same time gives more understanding to the variables in the matches

Provide the information regarding the shuttlecock before the tournaments begin: type, weight, speed, whatever those variables are (I am not a shuttlecock expert, so the variables here are not representing the actual variables)
    Another variable that provide understanding to the game given to the audience

I don't really care about the smaller tournaments yet. We can focus on the biggest tournament for the moment

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

WD and MD duration time are about the same here. Average time for MD match is 53 minutes and for WD is 52 minutes.
    So it is not that much difference in WD, perhaps partly because we are missing some of the top pairs who couldn't qualify.

It's not about the duration itself, but when the strongest MD pairs are doing clears within rallies in almost constant basis it says something about the playing condition. Even Li/Liu had to hit extra 5-6 shots to kill a loose shuttle. I don't think it is because suddenly everyone has the defense level of LYD.

wade and visor like this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Hmm final prediction

MS : Momota vs SYQ
    WS : NO vs PVS
    MD : Li/Liu vs Astrup/Rasmussen
    WD : All JPN
    XD : All CHN (Wang/Huang as personal favorite)

#848 yuquall, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  9. minions

minions Regular Member

Umm, KM vs SWH is in SF. Ideal MS final will be KM vs SYQ. I agree with the rest, except that I favor Endo/Watanabe over Astrup/Rasmussen. For XD, I think Zheng/Huang will prevail again. Hope Yuta/Arisa can give their best against Wang/Huang.

10. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

That was changed after the London Olympics fiasco, because everyone can control who they will be facing in the knockout by playing better or worse.

So now, only the top qualifying pair/player from each round-robin group get a "seeded" spot (i.e. "spread out" to avoid facing each other in the first round of the knockout stage), the other qualifying pairs/players are then randomly drawn against the group "seeds" or top qualifying pairs/players...

ebcd and fnd80 like this.
  11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

@yuquall & @Justin L you both have more in common than you think, starting by your stubbornness. ;)

Joke aside it’s too bad really that a few players got injured, that the game is too slow and the hall is that red (although I like it personally) but it’s the last event of the year gentlemen, let’s not get too heated in our arguments and enjoy the last few matches of this season! :)

skhai91 and gelopisan like this.
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Ah.. right. My mistake. I thought SWH played against SYQ in SF,

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Duh, they are the top 3 world-ranked XD players (ZSW/HYQ, WYL/HDP, YW/AH) -- OF COURSE they will keep meeting each other...

Anyway, fixed spots for the knockout stages was changed after the London Olympics fiasco, because everyone can control who they will be facing in the knockout by playing better or worse in the group stages.

So now, only the top qualifying pair/player from each round-robin group get a "seeded" spot (i.e. "spread out" to avoid facing each other in the first round of the knockout stage), the other qualifying pairs/players are then randomly drawn against the group "seeds" or top qualifying pairs/players...

However, you can still control who you don't want to meet in the first round of the knockout stages -- Li/Liu fought like hell to beat Astrup/Rasmussen for top qualifying spot in their MD group to avoid meeting the other MD group's top seed Hiroyuki/Watanabe, whom they've lost to in their previous 2 meetings (& can defend/rally forever in the slow conditions)...

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Are you trying to start a debate with me with that first statement of yours? Because I take it as a personal insult. :D

LenaicM likes this.
  15. minions

minions Regular Member

By the way, with minions' withdrawal from WTF, minions will be placed last. This means Han/Zhou, who never win in WTF, will finish at the third rank in MD Group A. Han/Zhou will get 6600 points in WTF and it is enough to replace Liu/Zhang as CHN MD2. It turns out that Han/Zhou don't need to win to replace Liu/Zhang as CHN MD2. :D

@yuquall I hope you don't get heart attack seeing this fact. :D

16. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Kevin said the hall is a bit cold and the shuttle is heavy.
    Complaining about the slow/fast hall is just ridiculous.

Justin L likes this.
  17. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

The humidity/temperature is standardized by BWF, but within a "range" -- because BWF wants it the WORLD tour to be organized by as many different countries as possible -- and because not every organizer can afford (to use) a weather-control satellite for a badminton tournament...

I mean, BWF is still using double Perspex glass for judging service height instead of lasers... so we'll have to rely on air-conditioners and wait for a breakthrough in air-conditioning/ weather-control technology for civilian/commercial uses...8^P

What we have here is something like the tennis-equivalent on playing on concrete vs traditional earth (where players must control for slipping, but can do cool sliding moves), a really "complete" player can usually deal with both.

stanleyfm and Justin L like this.
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

About a slow hall... can't they use a slightly faster shuttle to compensate? Somehow I can't wrap my head around why a slow hall causes smashes to be slower, but clears are still able to reach the baseline correctly?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

19. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

i don't understand and don't really care about the terminology and distinction about slow hall slow shuttle...... what i do know is what i saw and hear and read and that it's ridiculously hard to kill the shuttle and it's not normal.... think whatever you want everyone in this forum is definitely entitled to their opinions...i only happen to agree to the pros that said it

20. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

The WORLD TOUR Finals are suppose to reward for the hardworking/ consistent -- "top" players resting on their laurels and winning "important" tournaments once in a while do not deserve to be in the World Tour Finals...

BTW, these push-overs have all beaten so-called "top" players before...

Michael V likes this.