HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2018 : Group Stage Matches - Final (12-16 December)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2018.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Hmm Steen is staying until the last match today. Usually Gill commentated on her own for the last 2 or 3 matches. Overtime? I wonder how the commentators get paid though.

Wang/Huang won the match in straight games.
    So how's the group standing here?
    Okay Gill just said it. Wata/Higa through to SF.

When will the SF draw take place?

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I expect that in the future, BWF creates a calender of the tour with an indicator on the condition of the hall

That is whether it is slow or fast, or other type of condition

This kinda gives extra variables on the tour, such that people say:
    'I am expecting the match up between Minions and Li/Liu in this particular tournament because of bla bla bla'

Creates more variation and expectations in the same calender year

Forestal and wade like this.
  3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    It is smart by Momota to warm up by playing slow pace in the early stage of the match

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Huang Dongping's name is 'want don't pin', Widjaja becomes 'Vijaya' or 'we jaya' - on the subtitles of BadmintonWorld.tv, and now and then you get strange words that don't make sense in the sentence.

Makes me wonder how the English subtitling is done, if I may venture a guess, computerised when the English commentator speaks into the microphone link to a device that reproduces the sound into words on the screen.

5. minions

minions Regular Member

All of JPN players (7 females and 3 males) advance to SF. None of INA players (3 males and 7 females) advance to SF. What a complete reverse of fortune. It's sad to see INA fails like this.

Guess I will become JPN supporters for the next two days. Sorry, INA fans, I root for JPN not because of the fact above, but I simply like JPN in general. Time to move on from INA's failure in this tournament.

stanleyfm and Michael V like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Semifinalists : (# is the group's top)

MS : #SYQ, #KM, SWH, SV

WS : #PVS, #NO, AY, RI

MD : #Li/Liu, #Endo/Watanabe, Astrup/Rasmussen, Chen/Wang

WD : #Taka/Matsu, #Matsu/Naga, Du/Li, Lee/Shin

XD : #Zheng/Huang, #Wang/Huang, Pua/Tae, Wata/Higa

7. azorjon

azorjon Regular Member

I scanned through the document (thanks for the pdf, btw), and I've found only two of the requirements can contribute to the slow/fastness of the hall. The air movement and shuttlecock requirements. As for the air movement the requirement mostly says about how the air drought needs to be limited. So a slow hall maybe can almost eliminate the drought over the court so there is no push on the shuttlecock. I was also thinking about air density but not sure whether that can be climate controlled by the organizer.

Though the most interesting is this point:
    At least three speeds of shuttles must be available throughout the Tournament. The middle speed nominated by the organisers, shall be the speed which would normally be used for the majority of the matches, and there shall be at least one speed faster and one speed slower.

So, in this case maybe the chosen middle speed shuttles is pretty slow?

8. azorjon

azorjon Regular Member

Thanks for the explanation, I missed this post previously.

I suspected air density but not sure of how much of it human controlled/designed.

9. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Calm down justin I am sure it was just a joke :D
    Yes I can understand the words sound like a serious allegation and one which is completely uncalled for. But he has previously innocently enough agreed himself that his english isn't great, and the choice of words might be wrong.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Still, it could be a bit problematic,for example, the crowd-size can affect the temperature and wind condition as you turn the airconditioning to a certain capacity as when it's near-empty, half-filled or packed.

Anyway, the players get practice sessions before the start of the tournament and warm-up sessions before each match so they can get a feel of the playing conditions which, in the first place, are supposed to meet the technical specifications stipulated in the BWF statute 5.3.4.

I mean, how far can one venue differ from another as to affect a particular player's real standard as to favour or disadvantage him/her to a significant extent ?

I remember, even Chen Long who said he get to practise at the Fuzhou China Open stadium a few days earlier - more or less empty of spectators - found the drift has changed on the actual playing days with full crowd turnout. He still had to adjust to the wind condition on competition days during the match itself.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, basically, air movement and shuttles , and I 'd add the temperature which affects the air density, thus the flight of the shuttle.

Here are the BWF approved shuttles https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/events/approved-shuttles/

12. minions

minions Regular Member

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You don't watch many MD matches, do you? It might not affect much of the single players. But it differs a lot and very significantly in MD.

Most people complain about the slow condition when double matches are going on, hardly on single matches.

wade likes this.
  14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yeah of course
    I understand the problem with aircon output power and spectators presence

But I would like bwf to still standardize it
    some research will have to be done
    but I am sure it is possible to do

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Be specific, MD or WD or XD ? Who are 'most people' ? Which doubles players ?

And do you know the difference between singles and doubles ?

#815 Justin L, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So, if a particular doubles player claims he can't play well in 'slow' halls, always a disadvantage to them, and the Tokyo 2020 venue happens to be a 'slow' one, then how ?

17. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I think it’s painfully obvious for anyone with a sensible mind here to see your obvious bias towards China players. Firstly, when someone suggested Gideon’s injury as a possible “excuse”, you were completely open to it.

But when others suggested the possibility of Chinese influencing court conditions, you replied with a bombastic paragraph as if you were personally insulted.

I agree that both suggestions have no merit behind them, but the inconsistency in your replies regarding allegations towards different countries would make you seem not as neutral an observer as you make yourself out to be.

It’s okay to have a healthy enthusiasm for one’s favorite country or players, but yours is going a little far in terms of your replies towards any posts that disagree with your view, especially when Chinese players get involved. Your reply towards Yuquall was at best condescending, as if you had moral high ground, where he was making an effort to reply towards your previous post

yuquall and wade like this.
  18. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

some players said the shuttles during practice were different from the ones.used.in the actual tourneys....

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Most people as those who watch doubles and I said MD because that's what I watch the most, hardly watch WDs nor XDs except Wang/Huang's or Zhang Nan's. Why don't you read the whole posts and you will know who said it on which players.

It's enough to know Singles are 1 player covering the whole court while Doubles have 2 players covering the whole court. Which means slow conditions making it hard to kill shuttles when there are 2 players each in half of the court who are ready to return any shuttles coming at their direction.

If players can't play in slow hall then Boohoo to them, who cares? What we want is better quality of MD matches and this is too slow. Why don't you ask the other posters of what they think?

#819 yuquall, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  20. leophu

leophu Regular Member

All japanese players through to the SF :D and secure a WS final slot.