Korea Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by blabl, Jan 30, 2016.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah this was so touching. There are things that are much more important than sportsmanship in life, Gratitude is one of them.
    Many people complained about bad sportsmanship of players who celebrated without shaking hands with the opponents first, but you never know what the stories are behind those gestures. These players had gone through probably one of the hardest time of their career life to be get here. They knew without their coach effort and patience none of these would have happened, it was an understandable high emotional time for all of them.
    I am glad for them. It was a thoroughly great performance in the tournament by the Korean ladies.

samkool, apple_pie, stanleyfm and 2 others like this.
  2. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Thanks for the sharing!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

This post by SSC indicates how big the victory means for them

Michael V, Bieffe and nizze like this.
  4. Master

Master Regular Member

Yeah, they've just secured a slot in World Tour Finals by their first round win in Hong Kong Open.

5. khoai

khoai Regular Member

6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Now Victor no more with Victor, I guess it will be either Yonex or Li ning be the next Sponsor for korea team

7. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe their local brand. They have a few brands that's making some headway in Korea. So much so I wanna get their stuff.
    Almost all the design pawns what's offered by the big boys.
    Hope is not Apacs....Cos some ex Korean national team are playing under Apacs now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. minions

minions Regular Member

Korea has finally earn the WT500+ titles this month. Lee/Shin won in Fuzhou while SWH won in HK. They also qualify to WTF. Their achievements have to be appreciated especially when they were out of the safe zone in the Race to Guangzhou for most of the time until recently.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There has been quite a bit of news. The coaches have said the selection of players for teams has been interfered with hence the poor showing at Asian games. Especially at Asian games where the coaches wanted the retired players to be recalled and help out the team.

Also, senior executives have been taking business class tickets but not turning up to support the team in matches (sounds like Malaysia’s commonwealth games).

Got this from some Chinese publications for which I unfortunately haven’t got the links.

samkool and stanleyfm like this.
  10. Master

Master Regular Member

BKA top execs spend lavishly, blame coaches for their failures
    November 22, 2018​

The former BKA chief coach Kang Kyung-Jin, told Korean media on Tuesday that top executives in BKA have intervened in Korea’s Asian Games player selection, but put blame on the coaches when the Korean team suffered their worst performance at the 2018 Asian Games, in which they returned home without a single badminton medal for the first time in 40 years.

Kang Kyung-Jin and other coaches had realized that it was not enough to rely on only young players in the Asian Games. The coaches preferred to call back some players who already retired from the Korean national team such as Lee Hyun-Il and Lee Yong-Dae, but some top BKA executives rejected the coaches’ proposal and said they would like to provide more exposures to young players especially when they were aiming for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Ultimately, the final Asian Games roster list was changed by the BKA execs, and six out of the twenty Korean team players were replaced. Kang said the coaches were under a lot of pressure to participate in Asian Games with a group of young players. Even though it was probably a good intention by BKA execs, but the reality was cruel, as the Korean men’s team was knocked out by Japan 0-3 in the men’s team quarter-finals while the Korean women’s team lost to Indonesia 1-3 in the women’s team quarter-finals. Son Wan-Ho was able to make it to the quarter-finals of the men’s singles individual event, but he eventually lost to Kenta Nishimoto of Japan 17-21, 11-21.

Kang further revealed that during the 2018 World Championships that was held in Nanjing, China, although there were only six Korean players participated in the tournament, but there were total of eight BKA execs followed them to Nanjing. While the coaches and players were flying in economy class, those BKA executives flew to China through business class.

Things got even more ridiculous after the 2017 Sudirman Cup quarter-finals, when five BKA executives boarded business class that cost more than USD 22k heading back to Korea from Gold Coast, Australia, because they thought the Korean team has no chance of winning the prestigious mixed team badminton championship.

The funding from BKA were not enough to support all Korean players until the end of the Sudirman Cup, Kang was forced to spend his own money to continue supporting the players all the way to the finals.

Amazingly, the Korean team pulled off a huge miracle to beat badminton giants China 3-2 in the final, preventing China’s run of its seventh straight titles in Gold Coast, Australia.

Ironically, none of the BKA executives were in Gold Coast, Australia when their team won the Sudirman Cup.

Source: http://www.badmintonplanet.com/badm...cs-spend-lavishly-blame-coaches-failures.html

Baddie lover, khoai, R20190 and 3 others like this.
  11. minions

minions Regular Member

In the end, it's BKA executives who are behind Korea's downfall, huh? If this problem doesn't fix immediately, many Korean players will get affected and more talented players will be wasted.

12. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Sadddd
    Inequality at it's best.....

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't think inequality is the right word here.
    It's excessive abuse of power by the thick-skinned so called executives.:cool:

14. visor

visor Regular Member

South Korea is well known for abuse of power by it's corporate executives...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

stanleyfm likes this.
  15. minions

minions Regular Member

And goverment too. Just look at former president Park's case.

stanleyfm likes this.
  16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Yeah, but it is one indication of inequaliy
    well, let's just skip the discussion hahhahaha

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    So sad, but the truth has to come out one way or another.

I feel so sorry for the coaches and the players. Why are execs intervening in the way BKA is run, player selection and yet demanding results?

It's a bit like saying I want you to cook me the perfect meal but you can only use junior chefs of my choice. Oh and then I'm not going to pay you properly for it.

Now we know why so many Korean players left the national team and all the coaches left at the same time.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a mess, the management scandals,abuse and misuse of power or authority, and the players and coaches suffer for it.

19. event

event Regular Member

It does sound like a Catch 22 but I don't think it is necessarily the executive being mean-spirited. After all, they might have been hoping for a pleasant surprise like at the Sudirman Cup. Also, calling Lee Hyun Il and Lee Yong Dae up won't help the younger players in the long run if they are trying to get them ready for the Olympics. It looks like they were trying to push the coaches to play the long game and there is some merit in that. I'm guessing they didn't expect the results to be as bad as they were, nor that the press would have been so bad. 2004 was a huge shock to the Korean system, too, but the team still got several medals in Doha in 2006. Still, firing someone else when your own strategy fails doesn't make sense.

The sponsor factor is a Catch 22 not of the BKA's making. Two articles cite that as a reason why the non-Victor veterans couldn't be on the team and yet Victor dropped the team completely. However, the articles that mention the sponsor talk mainly of the fact that the star players retired, rather than the medal-less Asian Games, as the reason for rescinding the contract. The trouble is that all but Yoo Yeon Seong, Kim Gi Jung, and Kim Ha Na had already left the national team by the time Victor renewed its contract in 2017.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Convenient excuse for Victor if Victor has cashflow issues.

stanleyfm and samkool like this.