Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

While I never noticed it before when KGJ was with Sarang, this latest tournament in Macau revealed KGJ's (current?) ineffectiveness at the front. It was curious to see how often LYD was smashing at the back, but distinctly disturbing to see how KGJ let everything go by to LYD, especially the half-chances where he could have done a block. Very few people have the reaction speed of Sukamuljo (maybe setiawan, who in his peak had telepathic abilities), but just the basic front court play to cut/block the shots within reach KGJ failed to do. Had it been LYD, he would have used those chances to set himself up.

There are two distinct concerns: one is ability and one is form. While their form can certainly be improved (probably B+ at the moment) I don't think KGJ had the ability to be a sufficiently effective front court player (a la Gideon, or even Yoo at his peak) to partner LYD. On the other hand, I think his back court play is good enough, at least when he's not smashing it into the net, and yes, the minions can soak it up but if they can soak up Liu Cheng's smashes, then no Korean player, including Ko, can smash through either. They will have to rely on hard work and LYD's smart play and overall counter-attacking defence.

I have long given up on hoping that LYD will learn how to do a proper drop shot. He never uses his, and on the rare occasion that he does, you can read it a mile away. I'm sure we all miss JJS's awesome check-smash drop shots.

2. hieu nguyen

hieu nguyen Regular Member

You need to keep watching badminton. They'll figure out how to play against the minions like most Japanese pairs have figured them out.

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I think it's unfair to compare Liu Cheng and Ko Sung Hyun as back court players. As is I dare to say that KSH is a far more complete player at the back and front. He has much more variety and better accuracy. Sure he tends play shots with too much risk factor but at least he dares to try. Liu Cheng I feel is generally a one trick pony most of the time who is held up mainly by just how good Zhang Nan is around the whole court.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

4. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Anyone managed to find out why YYS and LYD has not paired up together since both of them back to intl tourneys?

My best guess must be sponsor contracts tying them down at the moment...

stanleyfm likes this.
  5. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I think you got distracted from my original point where I was responding to the notion that KGJ is not strong enough in his back court play to support LYD. As for Cheng being less complete than Ko, I wouldn't disagree with you there, they are both awesome above the net, and sub-par below, though Ko (being older) has gotten much better than he used to be (i.e. when he was partnering LYD). I suspect Cheng will get better all-around, as Fu Haifeng did in the latter years. If not, Zhang Nan could ask to be switched, Hong Wei, or Zheng Siwei both being good candidates (if they decide for Zheng to do both MD and XD). Anyway, this is not the right thread to delve into the Chinese MD players.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I do agree with you very much. KKJ is not the best fit for LYD. Not if their goal is to top the world rankings. There are too many natural holes right now that I feel is more a result of their conflicting play styles. I'm sure they could iron most if it out over time, but I still feel there will always be gaps because of their nature in approaching the game.

Just watching KKJ and KSR playing together in the past, their play styles just blend so well together. They're much more used to the game style where there's speed and constant movement and coverage of each other. Whereas LYD has always had the fortune to have partners who were able to cover his shortcomings damn near completely so he's free and able to hunt at the front court.

I don't feel that there is any true fault with either party with the excessive point loss they've had in their recent tournaments. You people are blaming KKJ way too much when equal blame lies on LYD's shoulders. Remember, the discipline is DOUBLES, and that means both parties have to carry each other. You cannot blame one just because he cannot conform to the needs of the other. They have to compromise for both their sakes.

Granted we may never know why YYS isn't partnering LYD instead despite our sincerest wishes. But to me the pairing of LYD and KKJ is a solid one even if its one where you take what you can get, and just work with it to the best of your abilities.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

7. wade

wade Regular Member

I wonder why lyd and kgj didn't play in korea masters S300..

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

and instead they register in India
    Interesting choice

visor likes this.
  9. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Expectation, pressure... They didn't handle it too well @ Korea Open...

stanleyfm and wade like this.
  10. event

event Regular Member

This is why.

pierreyj and wade like this.
  11. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Is lee yong dae playing in hong kong open?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

12. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    Woah now this tournament is going to be interesting then

13. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    We could have the most anticipated match day after tomorrow. If you all know what i mean

14. wade

wade Regular Member

15. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Well, after watching the two HK matches, I think if they have a good chemistry bt each other, esp LYD supporting if necessary as he is the stable player, if they are positive, esp KKJ, they are very dangerous for all established pairs!
    One reason is KKJ, if he is confident he is awesome all around the court! When nervous we all see that LYD can have a hard time.

But well, tomorrow will give us a first hint what this pair is capable of
    Could be nice, bc the pressure is on the Indonesians as well as it was today vs Boe/Mogensen...

wade likes this.
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

Looks like we've got our wish...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah but I suspect it will not end well for LYD fans. :(

18. Master

Master Regular Member

Amazing! The SF also probably another interesting match, IF LYD/KGJ manage to overcome the world No.1 pair since Ahsan/Setiawan is likely have no problem against the DEN pair (their last meeting in GER Open is their 4th consecutive wins).

19. wade

wade Regular Member

What a fantastic match that was against world number 1 kevin/gideon, probably the best md match this year...with the best rally at the end of game 1.

I agree with @KB@TB Em , when kgj are playing well...he's so fun to watch. there's at least 3 times he's playing a beautiful drop shot in the first game.

LYD still has it, although a little bit slower...but the shot quality are still there...the defense are still there...minions never got their point easy.

They're still not in the best shape though (especially KGJ), so hopefully they work on that and we could see the best version of this pair next year.

Saru, KB@TB Em and stanleyfm like this.