Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What you describe is actually arrogance

skeksis, Saru and yuquall like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So its either Minions 17th title or HanZhou 1st title.

So funny its like so difficult for other to win 1 title they can run around like AstrupSen, everyone deserve their moments.

HanZhou must be telling minions just give me this title lol.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't know about you, but I am very curious to know what Dictionary he is using:D

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Thats what my chinese friend told me. I always think confidence just comes from skills and talents but that is only half truth.

Thats why someone like SWH can hardly win titles. He is just too passive in natures.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Theres innate and 'earned' confidence, one is ingrained in your personality, the other is gained through things like practice and wins (in the context of a competitive sport).
    Looking down on others is arrogance and is almost entirely separate from confidence, i.e. you can be both arrogant and insecure at the same time (or confident and not arrogant)...and as with all things, different players will be different in both aspects. KSS seems to be a very confident player, but also comes off as arrogant (and not well-mannered, although that is a different topic). MGF I find harder to peg, the way he celebrates sometimes reminds me of guys lacking confidence, who try to boost it by overtly celebrating every point in an attempt to basically trick themselves into thinking they're good (or at least the opponent), but then again the minions have this uncanny ability to come back from behind at almost hopeless scores....that takes (some) belief as well. He rarely ever appears arrogant to me though, except when addressing service judges who fault him :D
    LD is another example of a supremely confident player, who is arrogant to an extent, and LCW, while less innately confident, appears very confident and even arrogant in certain contexts (especially in 2013-2014 when playing anyone ranked below 10, the Japan Open courtside camera videos are a good example).

Anyhow, while they're very different things on paper, it's often hard to tell apart those character traits, as they can manifest in very similar, or even the same way - I. E. playing extravagant shots could be either because you believe you don't have to take your opponent seriously, or because you are confident you can make that shot and just enjoy playing 'beautiful'.

Sdrqaz and Saru like this.
  6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Why talk so much? 16 - 1 is the score.

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Tough match for minions. Sad that they lost today. :(:(

I guess they still need to work more on their game in slow conditions.

8. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

Yea more reason to practice more and get used to the slow hall, after all the court for olympic is very slow (although they have won there)

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

imo cant win all the time. Just give 1 to opponents, no big deal. The weird thing is they havent given 1 to LiLiu.

10. wade

wade Regular Member

They've improved if we compared how they play in nanjing, but yeah, need to work a lot more. I also think they need to learn how to play in a slower tempo. whenever the tempo are becoming slow and there's long rally I always got the feeling that minions gonna lose the point.

Regarding the match against han/zhou, I don't really like the tactics in the third game where minions (especially kevin) were trying too hard not to lift and keep playing the shot to the midcourt (even from pretty low position) when clearly han and zhou were already anticipating time and time again. I think they should lift a little bit more and trust their defense (even morten said it).

PS : hope gideon could stop throwing his racket everytime he make a mistake, it's annoying.

11. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

Not too worried about their lost. good for han chekang/zhou haidong that they beat minions 2 times in a row, but I'm pretty confident minions gonna beat them next time (probably should've in this match if kevin didn't make so many mistakes at the end of game 1).

Couldn't agree more.

#1851 Thunder Hand, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    ebcd likes this.
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Wonder how it feels if HanZhou lost this final again lol..

Of course , a loss is a loss. Gideon just be a man and accept it instead of throwing rackets into the air. I know he is ruing when they were 20-18 up in G1. Had they won it they will have won the match. But that is life. Knowing that they trailed 15-19 in G3 and 14-18 in AsianGames, they will have picked AG 100/100 times so i hope they realise that.

#1852 Yoji, Oct 28, 2018
  13. TheAhlang

TheAhlang Regular Member

Were minions losing at drive match? I wonder is it bc coach's advice?

14. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

yeah should have won that game one if not for those mistakes,
    and maybe won the match if not for those easy mistakes by Gideon after G3 interval

15. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

On the lighter side of things, so Kevin stopped his antics altogether? Or is he saving them for Yuchen or V-Shem?

Kind of missing the earlier days when they were up and coming, fearless and reckless. Being on top is hard, and less fun.

16. wade

wade Regular Member

I would say so in the third game. and both the chinese also so good at taking out the pace after the drive exchange.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I still think Marcus is the weak link in slow halls, like in other previous matches before. Though in fast halls he is more consistent and he moves much better. In the end Marcus just couldn't keep up with Kevin I am afraid. Honestly I have been quite frustrated with him whenever they play in slow conditions.

After a fine display from Kevin in this tournament, too bad they had to face Han/Zhou in the final here:(. After a bad G1 and not a good start in G3 I think Kevin did well but I guess he didn't expect that Marcus kind of went off boil, he couldn't keep up with anything Kevin tried out. The CHN pair did everything right in the end, they made sure Kevin couldn't outsmart them.

AND!! To make thing worse, they lost in those bee jerseys. I implore you Yonex, time to change design!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

18. wade

wade Regular Member

Idk what happen but he's becoming more friendly in these last 4 tournaments :D I don't even remember when the last time he's swinging his racket to taunt the opponent (probably against li/liu in asian games teamevent was the last time?)

Yeah kinda agree with you on that, 2016 was fun although they weren't that consistent back then.

#1858 wade, Oct 28, 2018
  19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Me too. It was much more fun back then. With all the attention on them now, I guess Kevin received so many criticism and warnings on his behavior on court. It was all part of the show which makes things more entertaining and interesting.
    They are much better being the challenger than the defending champions, that's for sure.

20. wade

wade Regular Member

In terms of level of play I think they're much better now (ofcourse), but I do agree for some reason I feel like they're enjoying more when they were the challenger, not thinking too much about anything. I don't remember marcus being that frustated back then when he was making a mistake like he is now.