Victor CHINA Open 2018 : Round of 32-FINAL (18-23 September)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Sep 17, 2018.

1. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

and i was talking abt the sportmanship from the fan

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

SEMIFINAL (12.00pm & 06.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...F7CA6C-2774-46F8-8AB2-8D43429AE297&d=20180922

Men's Singles
    • Match of the day at quarterfinal round is presented by Anthony Ginting against defending champion Chen Long, high quality 85 minutes. Chen Long did well to take opening game, 21-18. then interesting part throughout whole match occured in second game, a rollercoaster fashion when Chen led 8-2 then Ginting took over 11-9 until 19-12, suddenly the defending champion bounced back to level the scoreline, luckily Ginting didn't panick to seal it, 22-20 and forced rubber games. At the deciding game, the Olympic Champion faltered to Ginting game plan. The unseeded Indonesian will face Chou Tien Chen who looks highly motivated here, Asian Games semifinal rematch. Ginting has really tough draw to meet prominent names starting from opening round, Lin Dan, Viktor Axelsen then Chen Long. Tomorrow's match will be stamina test for him after experienced gruelling quarterfinal match. Chou defeats Son Wan Ho convincingly, 21-17 / 21-14.
    • Hot favourite Kento Momota has very smooth path en route to semifinal, all two straight-sets with longest match only hits 35 minutes only including destroys Srikanth Kidambi, 21-9 / 21-11. His semifinal opponent is going to the script, home last man standing and China number one Shi Yuqi who displays modest perfomance to overcome Ng Ka Long, we'll see how the struggling and below-par Shi could balance full confident Momota tomorrow even the Chinese stated he's not in best physical condition.
    Women's Singles
    • Carolina Marin is on course to reach final again, the roaring Spaniard tames local teenager Gao Fangjie in two straight-sets, competing experience plays the role in second game when Marin prevails, 24-22. As predicted earlier, Marin-Okuhara showdown will be WS semifinal highlight, both of them met last Sunday on Japan Open final. Former world champion Okuhara defeats the Indonesian blossoming talent Gregoria Mariska Tunjung, thanks to Japanese superb fitness to conquer the tiring Tunjung at deciding game.
    • Chen Yufei, the most consistent Chinese WS rekindles hope for home fans as her two compatriots downed earlier. Chen fought hard to eliminate Pusarla Sindhu in three games and will take on second seed Akane Yamaguchi who edges past He Bingjiao, 21-19 / 21-16. Yamaguchi-Chen faced off last week in JPN Open quarterfinal which saw the Chinese progressed.
    Men's Doubles
    • The Minions eye China Open hat-trick and have bright prospect considering their semifinal opponent and final hurdle the day after tomorrow. Gideon/Sukamuljo continue to stamp authority, outclass teammates Pratama/Suwardi in two quick games. An uphill task for China back-up pair Han CK/Zhou HD to topple the unstoppable duo despite pushed world number one into three games at recent World Championships.
    • Out of prediction on bottom-half draw, second seed Li JH/Liu YC succumb to 8th seed Astrup/Rasmussen meekly, 12-21 / 13-21. Next, Danish number two will up against Chen HL/Wang CL who halt the promising Chinese youngsters He JT/Tan Q in close contest, 19-21 / 21-12 / 22-20.
    Women's Doubles
    • Japan WD squad are back to business and looking all Japanese final, the Olympic Champion once again played rubber games here against the unheralded Danish combination Fruergaard/Thygesen. Matsutomo/Takahashi have Polii/Rahayu to secure last round ticket, head to head statistics favour to Japanese pair, won 6 times of seven encounters.
    • The surprising package in this category, Stefani and Gabriela Stoeva stun local favourite Chen QC/Jia YF in long duration match, which means no China WD representative safely through to last four. The Bulgarian pair have tall order to do another magic moment as reigning World Champion Matsumoto/Nagahara will be their next stumbling block. MatsuNaga beat fellow countrywomen top-seed Fukushima/Hirota at last eight.
    Mixed Doubles
    • Zheng SW/Huang YQ pass sternest test at quarterfinal stage, almost sent packing by Thailand dangerous pair Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai, 17-21 / 21-14 / 21-19. An Asian Games final rematch will pit the Chinese aces against HKG pair Tang CM/Tse YS who outmaneuver INA pair Suwardi/Susanto previously. China best chance once again relies on their mixed doubles pair.
    • One more Chinese pair Zhang N/Li YH knock out All England winner Watanabe/Higashino comfortably and will meet teammate Wang YL/Huang DP. World number two almost blow away their semifinal ticket, made blunder at 20-15 and Christiansen/Pedersen seized momentum to come back then force deuce, luck factor favoured to local pair, 28-26 at the end.
    SESSION 1 (12.00pm) - three singles + two doubles matches
    1) Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (INA) v Chou Tien Chen (TPE)
    2) Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong (CHN) v Tang Chun Man/Tse Ying Suet (HKG)
    3) Kento Momota (JPN) v Shi Yuqi (CHN)
    4) Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (INA) v Han Cheng Kai/Zhou Hao Dong (CHN)
    5) Chen Yufei (CHN) v Akane Yamaguchi (JPN)

SESSION 2 (06.00pm) - one singles + four doubles matches
    1) Mayu Matsumoto/Wakana Nagahara (JPN) v Gabriela Stoeva/Stefani Stoeva (BUL)
    2) Carolina Marin (ESP) v Nozomi Okuhara (JPN)
    3) Zhang Nan/Li Yinhui (CHN) v Wang Yilu/Huang Dongping (CHN)
    4) Greysia Polii/Apriani Rahayu (INA) v Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN)
    5) Chen Hung Ling/Wang Chi Lin (TPE) v Kim Astrup/Anders Skaarup Rasmussen (DEN)

3. konak

konak Regular Member

I agree with you in this case. But China has history....

"Badminton-centric blogs and online message boards are riddled with cheating allegations, some more substantiated than others. Chinese players are often at the center of these claims. As Tarek Hafi put it in Badzine (“The World’s No. 1 Badminton Webzine”), “crowds and badminton fans around the world have become accustomed to some trepidation before any match between two Chinese sides.” At the world championships in 2003, Chinese doubles players Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen were accused of tanking a match so their opponent—another Chinese doubles team—would have a better chance of advancing. In the women’s semifinals at the 2004 Summer Olympics, China’s Zhou Mi was allegedly instructed by her coach “not to work too hard” in her match against teammate Zhang Ning. Zhang went on to win gold. The same thing is said to have happened at the 2000 Sydney Games, when Ye Zhaoying was told to lay down against Gong Zhichao. Gong eventually won gold."

https://slate.com/culture/2012/08/b...ng-to-lose-and-why-is-the-sport-so-dirty.html

This is why I said in another thread, Asian Games's system is the best. It cannot be cheated. you can only meet player from the same country in the final.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

How nice that you ignore the rest of my comment regarding fans then....

5. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I know that China has its black history, but most of them happened under LYB's management and different situations.

But this time it is different with the XD domination. Most of the time both XD pairs reached the final without any aid from the other pairs. They are not that dominating anymore in any other disciplines to have the team order works.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Your wording was ambiguous, hence my cautionary sentence at the end. The point really stands on its own, and your post was merely a trigger so to speak.
    Seeing how you explained your meaning now, I can only agree with you. Personally I wouldn't change anything about my serve in that situation, but IF you do - rather serve more conservatively, or this might happen :D

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm still waiting for laser markers and a camera, similar to Hawkeye. Laser marker can be turned off after the serve to avoid any irritation for crouching players etc.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

History, how long ago ? Allegations? Allegations are unproved statements or assertions made with little or no proof.

Never mind, let's not rake up the past , about 15 to 20 years ago. How about the recent past ? Any other country involved, are you sure only CHN ? Most importantly, if true, why didn't BWF take any actions against CHN? Or were those tactics regarded as internal matters involving the use of stratagems to maximise their chances of winning gold without directly breaking or violating the rules and regulations as no other interested parties were involved?

I'm pretty sure you are also aware of matches between two players of the same nationalities other than CHN that could be suspicious or dubious, care to mention them ?

But, anyway,I'm not sure if it's worth flogging a dead horse. Serves no purpose, except for some sore losers who still live in the past. Time to move on. Exciting times ahead, esp in MS as LD-LCW era is over, and also WS, WD as well as MD, for all the top players in each of the discipline are beatable, no one is really dominant, only briefly at most.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

With Axelsen's dethronement already a certainty, Momota and Shi Yuqi will be battling it out for the top spot tomorrow. It should prove an interesting match.

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

CYF can definitely win vs. Akane tomorrow -- CYF defeated Akane in JPN open -- so CHN has 1 WS representative in the final.

12. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I've had it with Ricky and Angga.
    As Singletary once said "It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."

13. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

This is what I see as lacking in AngRick, Ihsan (nowadays), HafizGlo, Praveen and Anggia, and possibly some others but I forgot who they are

SpursIndonesia likes this.
  14. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Yup. Didn’t really fault it on the Chinese players for playing so well but on the others who are taking so long to challenge them.

Also the fact that ZSW/HYQ are barely even troubled by Wang/Huang doesn’t really help pique interest and excitement during their matches.

#1074 Michael V, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    yuquall likes this.
  15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Xi Jinping came to power in 2012. He has initiated a massive anti-corruption campaign since then, which is still on-going I think. A lot of people (including those involved in sports, especially in soccer) have been arrested. Xi Jinping is an avid soccer fan.

Because of the London Olympic women's doubles scandal in 2012, LYB had been a target of intense criticism and scrutiny, both domestically and internationally. The president of the IOC was there watching the women's doubles match when the incident occurred.

Since 2012, the performances of the Chinese badminton team have declined quite a bit. Allegation of "not doing one's best" against the Chinese team has abated considerably.

#1075 pcll99, Sep 21, 2018
  16. konak

konak Regular Member

how can you say "no other interested parties were involved?" when Camilla Martin had to fight hard to defeat Dai Yun, while Gong Zichao was only involved in a "drama match" with Ye Zhao Ying. As a neutral, I think it is a clear disadvantage to Camilla Martin.
    Not to mention it also deceive the paying audiences. They didn't come to stadium to watch that kind of drama.

The most interesting is match between misaki matsutomo / ayaka takahashi VS Naoko Fukuman/Kurumi Yanao.
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/match.aspx?id=79570B8E-D2AA-401B-96B5-D873594B6690&match=735

As a result of that match, Japan can only send one WD pair to the Rio Olympics.
    You can follow the discussion here:
    https://badmintoncentral.com/forums...ps-finals-1st-may.163732/page-25#post-2454689

If it happened before, it can happen in the future. That's why I like Asian Games. No Cheating.

#1076 konak, Sep 21, 2018
  17. nizze

nizze Regular Member

@JustinL this question has been niggling at the back of my mind. Not sure if it is a sensitive or correct question. But thought of getting your opinion.

Team CHN' dominance is slowly declining in recent years. I can't help but wonder if part of the reason is due to the change in coaching/leadership bench?

During LYB's time, IMO, CHN has a such strong dominance in almost every discipline. This is particularly evident in team matches, where their fielded pairs are all top players. Fast forward now, it's a rather scene.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

18. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

Will Yuqi finally crack momota code?
    Will ginting get back at chou tien chen for spoiling party at Asian games?
    Will Carolina ever stop shouting?
    Will minions reach yet another final ?

Find out today at the China open .

#1078 Metaphysician, Sep 21, 2018
  19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think ShiYuqi can upset Momota. Just like HanZhou, i'm sure he doesnt want to lose at China against their respective opponents again and it wont be easy this time.

But yeah, when it comes to this later stages, some of Chinese players are not favourites anymore. It speaks volume of the development of badminton there.

20. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Given the h2h record, I think only Minions and Ginting who have a good chance to go through to the final.

Greys/Apri are going down. They always lose in semifinal. :rolleyes: