3 tooth fixed clamp

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Yong, Sep 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant

Around 2002 I bought an Arfaian (family of pro’s pro, Eagness) crank stringing machine that came with 2 fixed clamps as in the picture.
    Recently I digged through the forum reading all kind of stringing threads and I came across a comment (sorry, cant recall by who or what thread) that 3 tooth clamps would be tennis clamps.
    These clamps were sold to me as badminton clamps so I wonder if these clamps are an exception or if any other is using 3 tooth clamps for badminton.
    Tonight I cleaned them with benzine and I must say that I am impressed that they hold the string quite well now at 30 lbs. before cleaning they were slippery on the higher tensions.
    Also I was thinking about upgrading, but now they seem to hold well I am not sure anymore. I must say that I never used any other clamp so if otters are way easier / better in use... that somerhing I am not aware off...
    any thoughts?

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As long as the teeth fit in the gaps between the mains when you do the crosses and they hold the string well without damaging it, I don't see a reason why you would have to exchange them.

Yong likes this.
  3. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Thanks, sounds very reasonable. As soon as I expierence damage I will replace them.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You should only upgrade to something with diamond dusted teeth. I went from perfectly good "normal" clamps to double-roller diamond dust clamps and I would say my string jobs gained two pounds.

ucantseeme and Yong like this.
  5. PsyPryss

PsyPryss New Member

Any links or recommendations for such clamp? For future reference of course.

6. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Wow two pounds thats a lot! I am puzzled thought about that big difference ... would that be because of slippage occuring with the normal clamps (although not visible to the eye while clamping?) or due to difference in damage to the strings?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Don't take him too literally. ;)