Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

Congratulations for Gideon/Kevin! They delivered the 8th INA MD Gold in Asian Games.

INA always win MD gold for the last 3 consecutive editions of Asian Games.

(Guangzhou) : MD Gold by Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan
    (Incheon) : MD Gold by Hendra Setiawan/Mohammad Ahsan
    (Jakarta-Palembang) : MD Gold by Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

The 2018 All-Indonesian MD Final itself creates a history repeat after 44 years, the first Asian Games with All-Indonesian MD Final was in 1974 (Tehran) when Tjun Tjun/Johan Wahjudi met Christian Hadinata/Ade Chandra and the Gold won by Tjun Tjun/Johan Wahjudi.

yuquall likes this.
  2. wade

wade Regular Member

once again minions being tested mentally and once again they prove to be strong in that aspect. they're trailing like what, 13-18 in game 3 ? and somehow still win it.

I hope they can improve their defense after this, it looks to be the weak part of their game...look how fajar/rian just easily penetrate their defense when they're being forced to defend, on the contrary, fajar/rian seems to have a pretty good defense.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

This was what I wrote at the end of last season. It has been another great year so far for Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Marcus Fernaldi Gideon.
    2 Super 1000 titles - Yonex All England Open and Blibli Indonesia Open
    Super 500 titles - Daihatsu Indonesia Masters and Yonex-Sunrise Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta India Open
    Team title - E-Plus Badminton Asia Team Championships
    and of course the pinnacle of this year's achievement - the Asian Games 2018 Individual Event.

They also helped Team INA won a Bronze in the Thomas Cup Finals & Silver in the Asian Games 2018 Team Event.

If there's a minor regret, it will be the defeat to Takeshi Kamura/Keigo Sonoda at the Total BWF World Championships 2018! The other 2 defeats were the inconsequential team match against the young Thai pair and the surprise loss at the Malaysia Open to He Jiting/Tan Qiang.

Nevertheless, I am very satisfied with their results this year. The remaining tourneys to win will be: China Open Super 1000, Korea Open Super 500 and the 2 European Opens Super 750 (Denmark & French). Of course not forgetting the year-end World Tour Finals!

Likewise, in terms of major titles for the first half of the year, they pretty much have swept everything (All-England Open Level 1000, Indonesia Masters Level 500 & Indonesia Open Level 1000, Malaysia Open Level 750, India Open Level 500). Only the Singapore & Thailand Opens Level 500 have yet to be won.

The target for next year will be on winning the World Championships! Nothing less than that.....

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Um.. they didn't win Malaysia Open Super 750:) They lost in QF to CHN pair.

Though I think it would be very tough for them for the rest of this year unless they could get back in form but I hope they could win China Open or maybe Denmark Open:D:D

5. wade

wade Regular Member

just watched the match again, did kevin gave rian ardianto a staredown at 3:29:15 ? should be awkward considering rian are actually his roommate in pelatnas.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They are probably watching their match together in their room right now haha or just partying with everyone.

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

They won it last year. Ditto for Japan Open and China Masters (Super 750 this year), as well as Hong Kong Open (Super 500 this year).

Only the Korea Open (Super 500), the new China Open (Super 1000) and the 2 European Opens (both Super 750) are the ones that they have not won yet. They reached the Finals of Korea and Denmark Open last year though.

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Looking at the draw, they have good chance to win Japan and China Open imo because they avoided Japan players at Japan and Chinese players at China till SF.

They need to work harder though, they are very lucky in winning this tournament. But being off form they can win AG, I wonder if they are on form what can they do? Afterall, they are only 2 titles away from achieving what they did last year with 7 titles.

9. Master

Master Regular Member

...plus Singapore Open

10. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

It’s good that they won at AG. It almost felt like a must-win for them: a home event coming off the disappointing performance at WC.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

KevinGideon AG victory just reminds me Of Hendra/Kido victory against Koo/Tan at 2010 GZ. A game down and match point numerous times down. But the most important thing is it's over and they did it.

12. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

now we gonna see them wearing that ugly clothes again in japan open :mad:

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It was a big relief. Their performance in AG was still far from not disappointing but I guess winning the gold somehow made up for their slump performance in the recent months.
    Although losing to teammates was probably not going to be viewed as a disastrous result as to losing to a pair from different country. They were tasked to deliver a gold to the country and they had already did by making it to the all INA final despite not being in their top form. Who would have thought INA could win a gold from MS really and of the two players, Christie?:eek:

Woman.in.Red likes this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Nooo.. :(:(:(

Now that they have won the gold WITHOUT that ugly attires, could they ask to keep this AG ones instead? Or demand for a new one? I wonder what they really think of their costume though..

15. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

wasn't it from lining?

16. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

ofcourse they couldn't, that clothes are from li ning :D I hope yonex can make similar one to that, that red and black combination is beautiful :D

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well, for now at least I am going to shut up about their hair because they won the gold. But I am not willing to let go of their bee costumes yet lol.

Looking at their draw in Japan Open. They are in the same quarter with Boe/Mo and Han/Zhou. The second quarter we have Liu/Zhang, Inoue/Kaneko and Goh/Tan. They will face the RUS (again after WC) in R1 then if everything goes according to seeds, Boe/Mo will be waiting in QF and Liu/Zhang in SF.

In the other half we have Li/Liu, Ahsan/Hendra, Fajar/Rian, Madses, and Kamura/Sonoda among others.

Is the stadium in Tokyo a slower or a fast one?

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Very favorable draw for them. I think Japan is a somewhat neutral hall - not slow, but not fast like Istora or Denmark iirc
    I want the Korea Open to get bigger again....that slow ass hall produced some interesting MD matches :D and really showed who had a killer smash, as those were the only ones still getting through

19. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

im still not sure, did they lost in wc because of slow hall or it's more of mental thing ?

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Probably both. In a slow hall, their weaknesses become more apparent, and they didn't do well at majors until these AG