Asian Games 2018 - Why no challenge system?

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by Wildstone, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

I'm not sure if this has been answered inside one of the threads already, but I thought it deserves to be a topic on its own.

Can anyone tell me why there's no challenge system for AG2018?

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It has actually. Because of the lack of fund from the sponsor or to be exact the sponsor/committee weren't willing to spare some fund to install hawk eye.

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I thought the last time it is said that Tissot (as the sponsor) does not have the hawk-eye technology
    If it is the case, then indeed, it is that the sponsor (Tissot) does not want to spend more on it

4. wetsvandal

wetsvandal Regular Member

It could be, but why in other sports (sepak takraw for example) they still have challenge system here, not sure about tenis though, I am not following it. Hm....

Edit, just googled it, challenge system in Takraw is not Hawk eye type but sort of manual review challenge type like VAR in football. Different cases then

#4 wetsvandal, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    stanleyfm likes this.
  5. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Hawk-eye or no hawk-eye will always be a question about money basically. It costs a significant amount of money to install hawk-eye on each court.

6. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

If it was because of funding then it is really disappointing, and one would wonder why that is such the case. I mean, this is supposed to be a prestigious event just one below the Olympics that only get hosted ONCE every 4 years. Even the Super 500 (equivalent to Gold Series) that runs almost every month which some of the top players do not participate has Hawk Eye challenge system in place.

7. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Badminton should have a secondary challenge system if Hawkeye is indeed too expensive. Rent some high speed cameras and place them around the court, give the umpire video feed replay and let him decide on challenges. This is essentially how they do it in basketball.

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the umpires are unqualified to handle any additional tasks. they can't even handle their current duties right now.

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

What makes you say that?

10. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

The Indonesian sports ministry has pledged to provide a huge bonus to the country's athletes competing in this ongoing Asian Games to encourage their performance during the event.

He promised to give 1.5 billion rupiah (103,448 U.S. dollars) in bonuses to the athletes securing a gold medal during the world's second largest sporting event.On top of that, the winning Indonesian athletes receive a public housing unit, life insurance worth 1 billion rupiah and the opportunity to take up jobs in the country’s civil service, or to join the police force or army. The money is pooled from various sponsors.

Having said that, I dont think the problem here is about money. The Badminton Association of Indonesia or PBSI have show their concern to The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) as a governing body of sports in Asia regarding this issue earlier. Turns out they failed to meet agreement with Hawk-Eye Innovations to be one of sponsors at this ongoing Asian Games in order to provide instant-review services for badminton.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If you offer the Hawk-Eye company the same terms as what they have been doing with BWF sanctioned tournaments, I don't see any problem since money is not an issue, supposedly.

12. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Funding issues might also the factor which caused no challenge in Asian Games... A total of 100k GBP is needed for 2 courts