Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Then if he had played we could see the better player

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I suspect Xia Xuanze is reluctant to give Lin Dan top priority or just felt that the other two, Shi Yuqi and Chen Long, who have never won the AG should be given a chance as Lin Dan has two AG MS golds to his name already. I mean, the Head Coach has to be seen to be fair and gives those who deserves it a chance to get a shot at certain titles so that everyone in the national team will believe that as long as they work hard, they won't be neglected or shortchanged.

Besides, Lin Dan had three chances to improves his world ranking over Chen Long, firs tat the US Open (we know what happened at the press conference that affected him), followed by the MAS Open and then at the INA Open, but on each occasion he failed to make the most of his opportunity to overtake Chen Long in ranking and still ended behind him at WR9 to CL's WR8.

Whether he really flopped and has only himself to blame, or he has his own reasons for doing so, or it's part of CBA's strategy for him to remain as CHN MS3 for the AG team event as some people speculated. Just saying.

Whatever, I noticed, this time Team CHN men's team now has Shi Yuqi as MS1 and Chen Long as MS2 instead of the other way round as in the Thomas Cup whilst Lin Dan remains as MS3. That could be a stronger lineup, I think, if Chen Long's form is still uncertain. I supposed we've to see how the three CHN MS perform at the Nanjing WC to better assess CHN Men's team's overall strength going into the AG team event.

3. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

China miss lin guipu badly as chen long and lin dan out form.only in form player is shi yuqi if lin guipu there he would be a player like shi yuqi somtimes better than shi yuqi as he was in younger ages

#1603 Banuka, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, in their junior days, Lin Guipu - 2013 Asian Youth Games Champion, 2014 World Junior Champion, and 2015 Asian Junior Champion - was more impressive than Shi Yuqi.

Unfortunately, a severe back injury has kept him out of action this past few years though he made an attempt to come back at the domestic CBSL last year but didn't get to play a single match (probably sidelined despite being accepted in the provincial team).

I'm afraid his injury layoff may be like Wang Xin's who was laid off for like 4 years before she made a successful comeback in 2009 at around the age of 24. Nevertheless,I believe once you're passionate about the game and you're still not too old, you will never give up trying.

Let's hope we get to see Lin Guipu on the comeback trail one day, the sooner the better. May our wish come true.

5. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

He was more than 2 years out of action .last seen in 2016 china masters where he reached the semi final.probably china's next hopes are.lying on lu guanzhu now

6. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

What do you think about chinese women doubles?? I think china must recal bao yixin & tang yuanting

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CHN WD may have pulled back a little, I think the retreat is temporary, they have a number of fine young pairs with lots of potential coming up. At least, CHN WD is not anywhere near as bad as their CHN WS which still have some way to go in catching up with the very best in the world.

Bao Yixin has retired ,Tang Yuanting has gone to Australia to pursue academic studies, in the short-term, I doubt either one will think of coming back , esp when there are some young promising pairs as always, in China, on the verge of breaking out.

As we know, it's really tough being a China player, the more so when she's ruling the roost in WD, the competition back home is insane as someone once said before.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Both Bao Yixin and Tang Yuanting are part of Australian Badminton Association's Coaching Setup.

Tang Yuanting will reportedly work with Junior Shuttlers

while Bao Yixin will be one of the Leading Coaches for Senior Doubles Department.

Justin L likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lu Guangzu looks a bright prospect, won a couple of low (not quite mid) level tournaments but no breakthrough yet. I want to see how he fare at the top level events such as WTS1000, WTS750 and WTS500.

At the Akita Masters WTS100, he was beaten by Kim Bruun in R2 in three sets, not consistent yet and to think I even thought he might lift the title in the absence of JPN elite players though Ihsan Mustofa and J O Jorgensen should pose some difficulties. Disappointed, to say the least.

Apparently, CBA is giving him a lot of international exposure as he's been registered to play so many tournaments month after month, goes to show Xia Xuanze is feeling the need to groom a couple of up-and-comers as quickly as possible to reinforce the CHN MS category. That's a good sign, I'd wish he had done it much earlier.

Apart from LGZ, I'm also hoping to see a couple other young hopefuls coming up ,such as 20-yr-old Zhou Zeqi, 20-yr-old Sun Feixiang, and 21-yr-old Ren Pengbo, the last-named somehow has not been seen for quite a while.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good for Australian badminton but with both of them as coaches not players.

Actually, with BYX at 25 years old, and TYT at 23, if they were to play for Australia one day, their return to competitive badminton in the pro circuit will be a big boost to Aussie badminton and possibly raise her standard considerably in a short time.

12. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Disaponted about sun fexiang.his reivals in younger ages like kantaphon wangachoren lee zia jee are performing well in senior level

13. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I think some foolish actions of the CBA are the reasons for them to retire so early

tbgoh288 likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To a large degree, yes, in the case of these two talented players.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sort of, though different juniors progress differently at their own pace, some do well at a young age, others when they're more mature.

The problem with Chinese badminton as a whole as I've posted before, is that China has only a small talent pool to tap from disproportionate to her huge population as she may have millions of enthusiasts but few are willing to turn professional as many tend to regard it as a fairly unattractive career choice, even compared with some badminton playing Asian countries like MAS, JPN and INA.

As most of them are from single-child families, how many parents are willing to let their only child take up a professional sport that doesn't guarantee you a decent future, let alone fame and success that can last a lifetime ? That in a country whose economy has been the fastest growing for most of the last few decades and still growing strong, where opportunities in employment and entrepreneurship are more abundant and relatively more attractive than professional sports in general.

Not only that, badminton is only one of five or six major sports in China where she is world-class and not the most lucrative one at that, among others like table tennis, gymnastics, swimming, diving, shooting, weightlifting, and a few other less successful but hugely popular and influential sports like basketball, soccer, and tennis,just to name three, all competing for professional athletes in the same sports talent pool, it is indeed very limited for badminton alone where there is only about 3000 odd registered as professional players and coaches across China.

ainchekar likes this.
  16. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Your point taken about the one child policy etc. But the population is so large that the numbers will still be many. The provinces bordering SEA countries haven't been exploited. Kids from Yunnan will be playing badminton in the villages. These people are similar to the Thais, Vietnamese and Burmese . The CBA has only concentrated in the richer provinces. Also why hasn't CBA proceed to train the ones they already have. Especially the MS. You have quite a few already dedicated to the sport like SF, GZ, G.Junfeng, Li Shifeng ,Bai Yupeng for example. The WS have been given quite a bit of exposure but not the men. The recent Russian open was a good opportunity to give them the necessary experience but there was no Chinese participation. Similarly the US Open.
    So I don't think the reasons stated are a given. It is quite clear that the CBA has neglected the MS.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  17. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Huang kaixiang is aslo a forgoten player who won gold at mixed doubles in junior championships.He is not established in proper partnerships yet in doubles

18. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Just want to write someone about Han CK/Zhou HD, it appears that they haven’t got their own thread yet.

The contrast of their personalities seems interesting to me. Han shows a lot of emotion and is very vocal. Zhou OTOH is withdrawn. Han dominates the partnership to the extent that it almost seems that Zhou is afraid of him.

When I first watched them, I noticed Han displayed a lot of negative body language when Zhou makes an error and I thought Han was immature. But the more I watched them, I began to think this is more of a personality thing than an attitude thing. They certainly got talent, especially Han with his variation of shots. But in order to keep improving, I think Zhou needs to be willing to stand up for himself more. The backcourt guy anchors the pair and Zhou needs to grow mentally to fit that role.

19. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I have always thought they were v good. Their smashes are well timed and therefore effective. The no 1 seeds were unusually quiet and showed a bit of surprise at their opponents play. A pair to watch and with more exposure their confidence and combination can only get better.
    The Liu doubles pair played really well yesterday. This is the first time a japanese pair were at a lost and they lost their confidence. They are the ones who usually cause their opponents a lot of trouble. China's doubles coaches are very innovative.

#1619 antssantss, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  20. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

They had a moderate season so far.they are somewhat out form