TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2018 : DRAW

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He has my empathy, just wishing he had made the decision earlier so that another world championship aspirant gets his wish fulfilled.

Now we have two main contenders short which could've been filled in by two possible contenders, R8 Kantaphon and R10 Lee Cheuk Yiu but not R9 P Kashyap as IND already met the full quota of 4 contestants. Just a thought.

Perhaps BWF might want to consider having some reserve players on standby for last-minute call-up just days before the commencement of the championships. Not sure if it's practical but I think an idea worth exploring.

However, I can also understand BWF's consideration. What if it's not 2nd seed, LCW, WR2, who withdrawn , but someone like Toby Penty, unseeded and WR52 currently, and he's replaced by Kantaphon Wangcharoen, WR18 currently, which means the player who's supposed to face Toby Penty then would've a much higher ranked opponent to contend with ? I guess that's why BWF WC regulations disallow replacement after the drawing of lots. It turns out Toby Penty's opponent is Pablo Abian, WR45 currently.

2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

stanleyfm likes this.
  3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Momota is getting it handed on the silver platter...

5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

To be fair, Sakai would not have posed much of an obstacle anyway.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, I was just kidding, but playing against a team mate can sometimes prove to be more difficult as he is very familiar with your game.

stanleyfm likes this.
  7. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Momota’s biggest surprise loss was in the national tournament, so a valid point perhaps.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The question is more on : could the teammate make it through their opponents to face Momota?

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yes, sometimes it happens. But Momota's loss at the All Japan Championship probably had more to do with feeling the pressure of the home crowd, rather than that of his opponent. Momota tends to play better abroad.

This does not augur well for the Tokyo Olympics, though.

10. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Or maybe 15 players withdraw from bottom half

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

And now there are three MS withdrawals, that's no good at all for the world championships where all the best players are supposed to be in contention.

I'm beginning to wish BWF seriously look into remedial measures to prevent such future occurrence, some last-minute solution should be found; I'm sure some reserve players won't mind being called up at the eleventh hour to compete in the world champs as long as they are told in advance to be on standby as possible substitutes.

stanleyfm likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the World Championships, sometimes, often enough I think, unfancied contestants play above themselves to upset some of the fancied ones as different players are affected differently by the big occasion, some are so motivated as to rise to the occasion, some wilt under the burden of the pressure of expectations.

In Momota's half of the draw now, I really don't see anyone posing a serious threat to him, not Srikanth despite his own belief, not Ginting as the 'Ginting puzzle', so to speak, has been solved by KM and quite unlikely to be his teammate , Kanta Tsuneyama, or Tommy Sugiarto, Jonatan Christie, Wang Tzu Wei, Anders Antonsen, and who have you.

Not only that, in the final, KM's likely main adversaries, say, Viktor Axelsen, Chen Long, Shi Yuqi, Kenta Nishimoto, Angus Ng, Chou Tien Chen, or even Lin Dan, all have their disadvantages or drawbacks, for Lin Dan, it's definitely his age and stamina, nothing else, as the recent past has shown.

So much so, I tend to agree with Rob3rt who went so far as to say, Momota has the title handed to him on a silver platter.

13. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Nice work! But would have been a perfect fit in Momota’s thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why? It's perfectly reflecting what is on almost everybody's mind about this thread exactly: 2018 WC Draw. :)

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Partially true. ATM, he is ahead of every one in the race for the title and my money will be on him too. But, I don’t think he is invincible.

LCW even had a similar form before Olympics, but crumbled in the finals. Expect WC to throw surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah there could be surprises. But right now it is obvious who's who in the WC MS draw particularly in the bottom half.
    Most of the players on the top half have to fight it off between them to get to Final. But bottom half...?
    And in my opinion, he seems to be above LCW in mental department at his age.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Ms is Momota.. yuqi.. srikanth.. exelsen is my prediction. Srikanth maybe volatile.
    Ws tty. Jap. Or ri but her stamina no good.
    Md show off kevin. But china may put on pressure.
    ld japan.
    Mx malaysia? Wahaha

18. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

According to news reports in Thailand, Ratchanok Intanon was injured in the Indonesian Open but the BAT says the injury was not serious and that she'll recover in time for the WC and AG.

I'm worried. When authorities in Thailand say something like this, the opposite is usually true.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Is there any official announcement from BWF about the withdrawals?
    I have checked the BWF WC site but no news and the draw is still the same as before.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Obviously, Team KOR's emphasis is on the Asian Games, Asia's equivalent of the Olympics, not the world championships where even MS Jeon Hyeok Jin and WS Lee Jang Mi rejected their participation.

Apparently, for them as for some Asian countries, the prestige, standing and national glory of the quadrennial Asian Games outweigh the annual world championships. And I hasten to add, even more so for the team event than the individual event.

#200 Justin L, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018