TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2018 : DRAW

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's what all Lin Dan fans hope for, and I still believe he and LCW are in a league of their own, the problem really lies in himself and we know what they are. Reality is harsh for the GOAT in his twilight years; to me, the lack of self-motivation or low motivation is his number one enemy, more specifically, there's simply no more fire in him coupled with 'advanced age' and deteriorating physical condition that continually thwart his proclaimed goals time and again, as happened at the AE final this year and the Glasgow WC last year.

Admittedly, for a 35-yr-old, repeated failures, not only in the early rounds of tournaments but also at the final hurdles of major events can only mean one thing, that it's only going to get worse, not better, very unlikely, if not next to impossible. Much as I wish to see Lin Dan give it to us one more time, wishful thinking is one thing, reality another.

But not for the evergreen LCW who, otoh, is still so self-motivated, hungry, self-disciplined and relentless in his quest for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And he proves it by defying the ravages of age and the odds to capture the MAS Open title by overcoming the most in-form Momota,who is very much the player to beat and in his prime to boot.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One word of caution. The WC is still very much the title all professional players want to win, whether for top contenders, would-be contenders, the run-of-the-mill contenders and wannabes, including the also-rans. So expect every one of them to be at their level best in their preparation and focus to peak at just the right time.

It's not the least bit surprising if one or two of the less fancied contenders , the dark horses, were to play above themselves and rise to the occasion. Not uncommon at the Olympics, so too at the World Championships, maybe a little less so as it's an annual event as opposed to a quadrennial one.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Look at the polls cast for the WS crown - out of 107 votes in total, 48 went to TTY, 21 to AY, 11 to IR, 10 to NO (I'd rate NO higher than AY at No.2).

How many votes went to CYF and HBJ ? Only 4 and 0, yes, that's right zero for He Bingjiao ! There you have it.

I think polling was closed on 18th July by the moderator one day after the drawing of lots on the 17th, which is after the completion of the MAS Open WTS750 and the INA Open WTS1000 where He Bingjiao performed reasonably well in both. Yet not a single vote for HBJ.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-2018-qualification-seeds-predictions.176540/

4. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Don't really know who you're talking to right now, but you know full well that by the time HBJ had her good results in Malaysia and Indonesia, that poll had already been open for 1 1/2 months. The vast majority of forum users had already cast their vote then.

...then we're spot on. You always do that, and you're hella busy doing it right now. :D

Michael V likes this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

How lucky for the CHN team to have a very concerned supporter(s) :rolleyes::p

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Who were the players that played in Singapore Open to play in WC too?
    CTC and GSH/SJL for sure, anyone else?

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So ? The deadline for the poll was supposed to be 28th July but some reason Cheung closed it on the 18th, a day after the draw. It may have been opened for 1 and a 1/2 half months ,but,iirc, the pollsters are allowed to change their minds and new ones can join in after both the MAS and the INA Opens which ended on 8th Jul.

It's no fun at all conversing with you, I'm sure sensible, broadminded, rational and mature forummers can discern what's going on without being too judgemental, much less show any uncalled-for hostility or engage in personal attacks, veiled or direct, instead of just debating the points of the argument regardless of disagreements.

Anyway, it matters not one whit if I'm downplaying Team CHN's prospects at the Nanjing WC, it won't change anything as I'm merely exercising my freedom of expression in giving my views and opinions.

Oh, btw, I happen to come across another Chinese article, among several you can find online, which concurs with my assessment. Here, provided you read Mandarin, http://sports.qq.com/a/20180723/038580.htm - basically, to sum up, the author is saying, 'Chen Long is in a slump, CHN WS come up short, I'm afraid, China at the world champs may have to depend on XD to avoid embarrassment or humiliation. It's hard to be optimistic of the team's world championship prospects, apart from XD, the other four categories are undoubtedly in a disadvantageous position, we must be mentally prepared for China to end up with at most one gold."

So don't pick on me, views like the author's are read by tens of millions of readers across China and the world, including English-language media, such as badzine, BWF itself.

"Social media has allowed people to ramp up their personal attacks on people in the public eye - because there is a sense they can do it anonymously." - Gretchen Carlson

“Being assertive does not mean attacking or ignoring others feelings. It means that you are willing to hold up for yourself fairly-without attacking others.”
    — Albert Ellis

#47 Justin L, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Not fun talking to all of us... because we have higher expectation from the CHN players than The Chienese media?

You say something, I replied, and actually I correct some of your claims of some players might not make it bla bla bla.
    When I say no no that players have chance etvc etc. Then you go Marcus/Kevin win everything. Huh?
    I am trying to respond to your post. and express my opinion about some players I would like to support. Even so you dismissed all my comment and said we are as the bad guy for saying what actually we are all thinkging

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Err...aren't you barking up the wrong tree ? Our exchanges are normal, proper and cordial enough, that post of mine wasn't addressed or referring to you at all.o_O:)

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes, this is the time for LCW. This is his moment. Now that i think about it, he doesnt have to face Chinese player until Final.. Great chances. Cant blame the OlympicDraw now if he cant win this title.

Interestingly, Jonatan & Ginting is in that pool. If they work hard enough, they can be the dark horse and bring home the medal, imo.

#50 Yoji, Jul 23, 2018
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

LCW missing WC?

Along with Ahmad/Natsir, this will make WC feels like a joke, the fact that he has a good draw finally. Well maybe he doesnt really care. He will always be pride of nation.

to me, he will always be the best badminton player. My chinese friend said, LinDan is not as good now because he doesnt have responsibiliy like Lee. Imagine if all Lin career have to shoulder that responsibility as the best and only player of his nation. That is why LCW is the greatest, how he always bounc from adversity.

#52 Yoji, Jul 23, 2018
    Michael V likes this.
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

13. lurker

lurker Regular Member

In other words if put harshly...
    He giving up?

Mana boleh?

14. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    lets just wait for the final call from LCW

15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Oh yes, he CAN [BOLEH INTENSIFIES].
    After all, Asian Game is his last appearance, meanwhile WC is every year.
    Hopefully LCW can make a good decision.

skhai91 likes this.
  16. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    weird decision ... hmm

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Other players have skipped WC for other tournaments held once in 4 years.
    He didn't specifically say he would skip WC entirely yet, he would probably decide not to exert himself in WC.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I don't believe it !? He can't be serious, this is his best chance to finally grab a world title, the only one standing in his way is Kento Momota. Once he clears that hurdle, which I think he has a 60% probability of doing it, he is the clear favourite for the title.

How could he even think about skipping it for the AG ten days later, unless he contrives to lose in the early rounds of the world champs. Unthinkable for me

Well, the article says, 'but was instead fired up to give his best against France's Brice Leverdez in the opening round.' That phrase contradicts the title , the author is reading too much into LCW taking a few days rest from training. Unless he's not feeling well or slightly injured, I fail to see any reasons for him to consider withdrawing from the world championships to give his best shot at the Asian Games due to unforeseen circumstances.

Looking at the draw, Brice is no threat to him this time round and he looks good to sail into the semis for the real deal and then the elusive gold is within reach. It'll be a strategic mistake, a big one, for he should ride on the momentum from the MAS Open before he loses steam. Hope BAM does the right thing for him, someone got to knock some sense into him if he's not thinking straight. Just my personal opinion.

#60 Justin L, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018