Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher

I was actually trying to figure this out with friends. In China you need to get married where you hukou is registered, but neither of them are from Xiamen. It's quite hard to change your hukou, though with his fame I'm sure nowadays it would be easy. But like you said, he wouldn't qualify for a xiamen hukou these days. (it would have to be beijing).

But he lived and trained in Xiamen for years before he joined the national team, so he probably has houses here and and residence permit (户籍)so that's how he was able to get married in Xiamen

We are all feeling a lot of Xiamen pride here because of their marriage. It's a great city, one of the top ones in China and probably THE best city for badminton in the entire country of china (based on the level of the amateur players as a Xiamen team or Xiamen players tend to win most major nationwide competitions). So we are quite happy he was able to get married here. Although no one knew he had such a strong legal connection to the city.

Abu Tanki and Justin L like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Reading your post makes my mouth water thinking of all the Chinese cuisine and street food in China and elsewhere.

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Me too, my parents are going back later this month, oh how I wish to be going too... especially in the nice wintery weather away from the humidity of summer.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Chen Long has a matchup issue with Wonderkid AnthonY Ginting Sinsiuka

Their Head to Head is 0 - 4.

5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

3-1 , not 4-0

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

6. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

'I could be affected by the opinions on the internet and on the social media.
    I really hope to be myself in 2018 and not be affected by what others think of me.'

Imagine if he could read this forum...

swsh likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hey, Chen Long, you've been happily married with your dream girl and living in marital bliss for about five months already, please focus on your career now, it's high time you do so. I'm sure that's what Wang Shixian expects from you too. Build your future together while setting up a family.

All the best to you and Wang Shixian.

swsh and stanleyfm like this.
  8. GingerCorslette

Can't see how CL defeated VA last China Open and lose to KM this time. Maybe his net play and smash weren't the same. Seriously, he should add more deceptions to his shots. A quick-on-his-feet Momota would have no problem rallying with him.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-07-04/doc-ihevauxk0120201.shtml

Yesterday was Brice Leverdez's first victory over Chen Long in six meetings at the INA Open WTS1000 event. He attributed it to persisting in speedy attack and not letting Chen Long have counterattacking chances, " This is a big win in my career, clearly a very important victory, after having lost 5 times to him, I finally found the way to beat Chen Long."

Chen Long, heard that, you know what to do? More speed and initiative, and I would add, better reading of the game,and hence good anticipation, as I strongly believe the last point is essential for any top player. You really have to acquire more of and improve on that crucial aspect of the game for it separates the champions from the also-rans and it's what defines talent, so if you don't have lots of talents then you've to work even harder to make up for it.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He is on the slippery road down.

His style is rather boring so he won't really be missed.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sure, not when he denied LCW two WC and one OG. One fewer threat for LCW going to the Tokyo Olympics, except that a couple others will take his place. Reality bites.

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I will miss CL (when he retires) for his good manners and for always staying cool

ashers888, LenaicM and visor like this.
  13. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I will miss his stability, accuracy and depth of shots. I do agree that his style is rather boring.

GingerCorslette and Cheung like this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In my humble opinion, Chen Long is not very talented player, a little above average, I think, but he's a personification of what persistent hard work and discipline and the right attitude can achieve for someone who also possesses a lean, strong physique with the height and reach can achieve over time as he accumulates experience.

Generally, his game is unexciting, even boring, though highly efficient and effective like a well-programmed robot with little creativity and beauty to speak of (unless you consider robots beautiful to watch).

Too bad his robotic style is not that of an AI humanoid with deep learning capacity to absorb all the skills and knowledge of every opponent he played and learn from mistakes, just like what AlphaGo did, or he will be truly invincible, a scary thought. Unthinkable. Luckily, he's just human.

Perhaps all his main rivals are secretly pleased with his downward trajectory, probably downhill for good as two years of struggling with his form is telling. Imagine, it would be disconcerting if he were to suddenly pull himself up by the bootstraps and come charging back pushing aside one obstacle after another en route to the Tokyo Olympics.

I feel we can't be too sure in writing him off though it's been looking bad for him so far.

Last but not least, I won't be surprised that what Chen Long needs to get his mojo back lies with his beloved wife, Wang Shixian, whom he credited most for his Rio Olympic gold. The right motivation can do wonders.

15. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

They already married?

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

17. GingerCorslette

He and Marin are stricken by the same curse. They've won they want to win leaving them in a sort of limbo state motivation-wise. Well, at least he has the AG coming...

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, a coincidence their respective career paths parallel, two WC and one OG in exactly the same years, and suddenly going off the radar at the same time.

To be honest, I'm not ready to write the now 29-year-old Chen Long off, and so shouldn't you for Marin who's still only 25.

19. GingerCorslette

Well I wrote nobody off.. I just thought they could possibly be finding themselves in an uncertain point in their careers. What's next? WC?
    My bad too, I thought AG takes place before the WC... didn't know WC starts this month.

20. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I haven't seen any top player go downhill like CL. The players he used to beat playing with left hand have now started beating him consistently. My brain refuse to accept this fact. He used to be such a perfect player! I think I will keep believing in him till he is at least 32. Perhaps he is concealing some injury? His rapid decline fumbles me.