Blibli INDONESIA Open 2018 : Round of 32-FINAL (03-08 July)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What? I'm not quite sure what you mean. In any case, let me clarify what happened: the shuttle had touched the ground apparently, a fault got called, it got played back after the bounce. KSS jumped up high and played a full jump smash - it was not an instinctual fast shot or reaction...

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Weird that it's always the matches with them that are causing trouble...

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

It’s no wonder since they’re always provoking and creating such situations. Still don’t get how some fans believe it’s good for the sport. Almost every match of them ends up in a first grade drama. Again too bad because they don’t need that to be the best MD pair.

4. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

You return the shuttle during a rally, you risk (expect) a return from the other side. KSS did apologize immediately. BTW, you are clearly using double standard here: you think it should be “apparent” for KSS to stop playing that shuttle (which was only apparent to me in slow motion) while at the same time you think there is absolutely no evidence that Conrad touched the shuttle during the other play (despite the unusual protest, even by their standard, from KSS and MFG).

Believe what you want to believe, but allow others to opine differently...

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You misinterpret my post. First off, regarding your statement ("you return the shuttle, expect it to come back") the shuttle was returned almost by accident, and by Mads Conrad, not Kolding. But that's beside the point, really.
    Secondly, the issue wasn't the return itself, but that he seemed to smash at the defenseless player at the net. You even misquote my use of the word apparent, nowhere did I state or imply that it should've been obvious to KSS that the rally was over. I just explained the events and why Mads Conrad got mad.
    There is literally no double standard. I think that KSS is definitely justified in returning the shuttle, but aiming at the defenseless player at the front is poor behavior at best, if intentional.

#705 j4ckie, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Mads Conrad approached the net to argue with Kevin and got sternly warned by the umpire.

Can you imagine if Mads had taken a swing at Kevin? Oh...the sight of 10,000 Indo fans rushing the court and tearing the Danes into little tiny satay pieces =O

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah he got mad that he smashed at Kolding, who was ducking behind the net, when the shuttle was less than 2m from the net. That actually risked injuring Mads Kolding. And they resolved it right there, you can see Kolding even conveying it with a gesture, touching Kevin's shoulder, so you can't even argue that Kevin didn't understand because of his poor English. That not really poor behavior and I really doubt Kevin saw it as such either, he'd get mad too if he thought someone tried to hit Markus with a shuttle like that.

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

This should not be seen as an issue of race! Or is that your answer to any perceived injustice.

Michael V likes this.
  9. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

It clearly wasn't deliberate. Watch the replay at G2 11-11 and you'll see that Kevin is already half-way into his net kill motion when the umpire called fault. Almost impossible to stop your own momentum at that point. That's assuming Kevin actually heard the umpire over the crowd which was still roaring from the last smash.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Reiterating it for the hundredth time - it's not about the fact that he played a shot. Conrad is angry that he SMASHED it almost directly onto Kolding's HEAD. Jesus.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Weird that BWF had done nothing to prevent this.
    They should know by many times before that when Marcus/Kevin and Li/Liu or Marcus/Kevin and Conrad/Kolding are involved , it never went on without trouble. And especially with the crazy loud crowds around.

12. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Well, how many times do you see players get hit in the face? Happens regularly i’d say, How many times do players who got hit react angrily? Not often I’d say. I mean many times you can see them clearly upset, but seldom someone protests to the othe side — they understand its part of the game. Now, how many times does the PARTNER of the hit player protest? I never saw it before. If the same situation happens during my game and I was Conrad, I would apologize to Kolding for putting him in a bad position. But of coz that would be a rec game against people I have no bad blood with, so I don’t want to judge Conrad, just pointing out that his protest was far unusual than KSS hitting Kolding.

Now could KSS have avoid hitting Kolding? I believe he can at his skill level. But, he did apologize to Kolding as soon as he hit him, which makes me think it was unintentional (a hard smash was intentional, but hitting the player especially near the head was not).

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Or maybe he doesn't want his partner to get injured, like a normal human being. Not that you'd understand.
    And you're telling me that one of the best players in the world can't aim his smash in the left HALF of the court? He's too **** for that? Get real. I don't know in what dumpster you learned to play, but we consider it decent behavior to not go and smash at opponents faces and, by extension, eyes.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I've never seen anyone get hit in the face and not get angry. I've also never seen anyone not get angry when they get hit anywhere else with a smash like this (not that Kolding got hit). I've seen lots of partners get angry about this, and I've gotten angry myself when someone misbehaved towards my partner in some fashion. It's part of that concept of playing as a team, you know? Also, not wanting your fellow athletes to get injured. I feel weird even having to explain this, it's like talking to someone who has never held a racket or competed in a civilized competitive sport...
    Anyway, since smashing at someone's face is really risking to injure that person, I think everyone should understand that it's generally considered taboo and extremely bad behavior, and that people get mad when someone does it anyway.

All that being said, I don't think KSS intentionally tried to hit Kolding, or that he had any bad intentions, but Conrad seemed to think he wanted to hit Kolding, or that he was careless enough to risk hitting him in the head quite unnecessarily.

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's really hard to point out. They had always had it for each other. I have watched their past matches for countless times so I noticed many things between them. So trivial things could means so much more to the other side. Conrad overreacted, Kevin did too.

Kolding was targeted after G2 interval. But he did his best and Conrad stepped up many times. I don't blame Conrad for not admitting if he even had touched the shuttle. These things happened, shuttle went too fast umpire didn't see it, but for Kevin this is like a bad trigger.
    I don't think Kevin deliberately targettng Kolding head, Kevin thought Kolding returned the shuttle so he just put it down to make sure it didn't come back. Usually players crouch down to hide themselves or stay away to not get hit. I think it was because Kolding is tall that his body pretty much covered almost half of the court and his head was in the way of the shuttle. Or he thought it was a fault so he wasn't trying to get away or hide.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Not all. But almost every match of them with Li/Liu and with Conrad/Kolding. The worst dramas happened in Jakarta. I have nothing against Kolding, but Conrad had his share in the provocation and creating dramas whenever these two pairs are concerned.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well the Danes keep coming back so I guess it is no big deal for them.

It's not passion for the game. It's what seemed to be their own interpretation of solidarity and sense of justice I guess. Games should just always be between the players and the umpire involved. Spectators have no right to interfere or make any action on anything happens during the match. But you can tell by how involved the supporters or the fans of those countries in events. Supporters fighting against each other is not unheard either.

18. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I don’t think anyone here is applauding headhunting. We were just discussing the circumstances of that particular play and whether it warranted Conrad’s protest (which I think we agree with each other).

For me, I couldn’t hit someone’s face with a shuttle even if I want to:p

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Honestly I am almost sure that Conrad wouldn't have protested if it weren't Kevin who did it:p

Woman.in.Red likes this.
  20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Its clear that Kevin is a star, an enigma. Matches could have finish and people will still talk about him.

and not sure why Conrad will be angry when Kevin just trying to kill the shuttle. Like he said there are 9000 people. I dont think this is an issue after the match.

Danes tried everything in the match, still cant win. I dont know why, there is small detail in Men's Double that cause minions to win. The gap in MD, is actually not far compared to WD or XD because the faster the match is, the easier to create upset ( think of sport like archery/fencing compared to football/basketball). small little details that always goes minions way.

#720 Yoji, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.