2018 United States Open

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, May 28, 2018.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

With the defeat against Beiwen in such manner, I feel that Ohori will only go down from this onward as she will has confidence issue :(
    Wish that she can somehow overcome the shadow

#161 stanleyfm, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Michael V likes this.
  2. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Could go either way.
    If she takes every game as a lesson, I am sure she will progress rather than downward.

By the way, I had sent the ticket by registered post on Monday. Sorry that I could not do it earlier as I cannot drive due to my broken clavicle. Someone will need to sign for it when it arrives.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Li Xuerui,...err...better to reserve my comments until after tomorrow's final.

Before the match began, I actually thought Michelle Li is in fine form carried over from her Uber Cup campaign.

Let's see if LXR has the fitness and stamina to extend her on-a-roll performance in the final

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Random fans got the chance to play with Naoko Fukuman at US open

5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I like how Mark looks like he's fencing rather than playing badminton :D

LDK played a horrible first game, half of it horrible unforced errors. I still wonder how he took a game off LCW at the last All England.

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Omayyyy
    Thank you so much. Dont worry, time is not of the essence anyway
    Hope you get better soonn

7. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

8. It'sMeMeMe

ZBW kinda sluggish.... fitness level not up to par

9. It'sMeMeMe

what what .... i'm sure those 2 shots were in ... what waht

10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

She’s got quite a lot of gold for a mentally weak player. I think after almost 2 years off the tour she just lack a lot of confidence. Simply put, you don’t get back from the kind of injury she had that easily. Might have as well been a career ending injury and at 27 and a gold medal in the pocket I think her prime is behind her (who knows though) yet she might still win few events here and there and be thankful for it. Anyway congrats to her for winning the US open. She still managed to beat a few in-form opponents.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Who'd have thought after the way she tanked at the Uber Cup semifinals to Busanan, that she'd come here and, of all persons, when her fellow junior teammates had fallen one by one on the wayside, be the sole surviving veteran and old-timer, just back from a long two-year injury, to hold aloft the CHN WS flag and plant it on the winner's podium.

Despite her mobility issue still plaguing her, which was smartly exploited by Zhang Beiwen now and then, particular with cross-court drop shots that had Li Xuerui struggling to cover the long diagonals and hesitant to lift off with her left leg (previously injured bandaged knee) to lunge for it, Li Xuerui put on a display with flashes of her former brilliance, reminiscent of her former prowess.

We can imagine what it's like should Li Xuerui regains her top form one day, not impossible now after having taken out three opponents inside the top 15, including a promising current WR24 Kim Hyo Min, not to mention Britney Tam who isn't exactly a pushover if you've seen her play at the Uber Cup. Time will tell.

Today's victory is her second title in three tournaments, taking into account the team championships in between, I must admit she's on the comeback trail sooner than I expected barely three months after her long hiatus from that horrific injury that threatened to cut short her career.

Frankly,I actually wrote her off after witnessing her horrendous game with Busanan in the Uber Cup, and thought she's finished, her comeback attempt won't be successful, would be short-lived, game over soon. To my amazement, she forced me to see her in a new light now. Still it's a bit too early to say, we can only wait and see.

LenaicM likes this.
  12. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Technically there but as you said, forehand corner is a good exploit to use against her. Backhand corner is also another area when it can be exploited as she is reluctant to use round the head unless she can take her time.

I really hope she can one day move as good as before her injury in order to have any chance of beating Akane or Tai.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Next, most of the participants here will move up north to play the CAN Open WTS100 event. A glance at the WS draw reveals Michelle Li from the host nation joined by the two JPN WS, Mitani Minatsu and Sayaka Takahashi(both of whom were absent here, a higher ranked WTS300 event, surprisingly), but not Sayaka Sato. Also Zhang Beiwen's name is missing.

Once again, Li Xuerui has to get past the qualification round, meaning another six-round tournament for her as opposed to her much higher-ranked opponents among whom a few them even start fresh.

It'll be interesting to see how much of a challenge the back-to-back CAN Open would pose to Li Xuerui, esp when she's slated to meet the top seed Michelle Li again, but in R2, assuming she makes it through the qualifier.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

It is not surprising. Most of the Japanese National A & B team decided to stay loyal to their employers and participate in the 68th All Japan Business Corporation Championships, a tournament that was scheduled in the same week as the US Open. Ohori Aya is affiliated to Tonami, which doesn't have a female team and, therefore, did not miss her absence. Sato, on the other hand, was probably worried about her relative position in the Japanese team, a fear that will become reality when the rankings are revised this week. Incidentally, Japan's NBA never planned to send a delegation to the US; both Sato and Ohori joined as self-financed players.

The Canada Open, by contrast, is heavily sponsored by the NBA, ... but only as far National Team B + Takeshita Riichi are concerned. This explains Sato's absence in Calgary.

CLELY, Sdrqaz, Michael V and 3 others like this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ah , I see, thanks for the clarification.

16. event

event Regular Member

Another factor is that Sayaka Sato and Zhang Beiwen are being forced by the BWF to play in the Malaysia Open, and then the Indonesia Open. Little wonder they would not want to squeeze in a Super 100 on the other side of the Pacific and then give themselves just a few days to make the trip and recover from jet lag. Hardly any players signed up for both and many who did - such as Manu Attri - later withdrew, as Sameer Verma likely will. Michelle Li's reasons are obvious.

Justin L, CLELY and Cheung like this.
  17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Her stamina could endure in long duration final match, she did amazing comeback in opening game, trailed behind 14-20 to 21-20 despite losing it, ended 26-24 for Zhang BW. Definitely much better performance than her Uber Cup feat, such a dispirited and poor quality player, didn't match up with her credential as the Olympic Champion.

Well, China won big in US Open to nail three titles, men's singles and mixed doubles were goes to Lee Dong Keun and ChanPS/Goh LY respectively. Canada Open Super 100 is about to get underway on Tuesday, casts almost same names with US Open. The A-listers will resume their action starting from MAS Open Super 750 next week.

18. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Wong peng soon?

But david freeman would not agree on it

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You may be right!