Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe he probably would one day. Meanwhile he's still trying hard to set and break records and rewriting badminton history - until he's fully done, we just have to wait for him to do so.

The first part of his autobiography , titled 'Till The End of The World', ends at the London Olympics 2012 where he was garlanded Olympic gold medallist for the second time. Expect a grand sequel in the near future.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Did you miss my post #11130 where I wrote "I got the news from here http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-06-13/doc-ihcwpcmq2626479.shtml" and translated the article ?

Well, you are entitled to question my conclusion but what I said is not without any basis.

I should add, that Chinese article was dated June 13 (yesterday), 1630 hrs, a day before the R1 match was played.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You got the news about the press conference from there, yes. The conclusion that he threw the match because he dreaded any further conferences seems wild to me, especially with it basically destroying his chances of competing in the AG. That, in turn, directly contradicts your characterisation of him as a 'man seeking to set new records'....

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, I've already stated Lin Dan needed the ranking points, 7000, if he wins the US Open which he's expected to, why else would he travel all the way there to play a low-tier tournament and lose in the early rounds, R1 exactly, and even played badly and, to top it all off, retired ill ? That against an opponent he held a 9-0 shutout in their H2H ?

But I'm sure he didn't bargain for what happened at the press conference where he was clearly pissed off by the reporter's totally unexpected and unwelcome question and walked out abruptly, shocking everyone present, not least the host. Knowing Lin Dan, I'm not the least bit surprised he chose to 'quit' the tournament in that manner. Don't forget his declaration post-LOG'12, his family comes first, that's his number one priority, record-breaking feats secondary to it as he's already the record-holder in several aspects.

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

not going to be an a**
    but I just kinda think that Lin Dan should think about this when he DID THAT
    but anyway, people made mistake
    *just a thought that crossed my mind reading your post and not trying to diss anybody

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Surely, you don't count Lin Dan winning the US Open WTS300 event a record-breaking feat ? Granted it's not, even if he garnered the 7000 points and it contributed to him eventually qualifying for the AG where his real target is, there is no guarantee, not even high chances, of him clinching his third gold medal, not when he has to play the WC the week before.

I believe, like LCW, he has to decide which of the two to give more weight to, the WC or the AG, while still trying his luck in both.

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He made a mistake yes but it was in the past. It is not like it just happened recently. So why brought it up now? If it was really what had been questioned by the reporter in the press conference I kind of understand if LD got pissed by it.

But I don't buy it if he really was thinking about his family when he lost the match. He seemed to be trying in the beginning of each game. But the opponent was playing clever and difficult to handle without putting much more effort in it. Whether he really had chest pain or not, seeing how he missed that net kill by far I guess he really lost any intention to go on.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Gonna write LD's Top Three Blockbuster victories of 2018 soon. Stay tuned.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's still mid June, isn't it a bit too soon? :)

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

whatever makes me happy.

yuquall likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm...let me see, he already missed the All England although a losing finalist is not too bad if only his name is not Lin Dan. That leaves the Nanjing WC and the Asian Games, which is the third big title,, then ? The World Tour Finals in Guangzhou where he is known as the 'son-in-law' because his wife is from there ? Or , do you have in mind he successfully retaining his MAS Open crown on LCW's 'territory' ?

What about the China Open in Changzhou,China, in September, a WTS1000, Grade 2, Level 2 event ? Or, perhaps, the INA Open next month, another one of the three WTS1000 event ?

I seriously doubt he can do well in both the MAS Open and the INA Open back-to-back, a tall order. That's also why I'm quite certain he's out of the AG.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Whoa whoa whoa you're getting too far ahead. Don't ruin the fun just yet.

13. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

well, it is the job of a reporter anyway
    I am not interested in bring it up, but as a reporter, I won't blame them as well

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Oh I don't blame the reporter. Just saying that I would understand if LD got pissed because of that thing being brought up. In a press conference before a badminton tournament and in front of other players or people. If LD left because of that, I don't blame him either.
    But I personally never like the reporters who kept on asking inappropriate questions at inappropriate times.

stanleyfm likes this.
  15. Nine Tailed Fox

Ahmm...'' Lee Chong Wei, Back in 2014 you were labelled as drug cheat. How do you look back on that incident?''

Justin L likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now we can understand and empathize with Lin Dan why, with posts like yours , he's taking that very sensitive topic raised by the reporter at the press conference so seriously and reacted the way he did.

Let time heal. When the couple concerned is doing fine now, that is comforting enough.

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly. Well said. (Yeah, why bring it up at this time just before the start of the tournament ?)

18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yeah, hope that some time later he is cool enough to just snub the reporter questions rather than take it to his heart

19. Nine Tailed Fox

I think LD would be in Jakarta for Asian Games Team Gold Medal.

Maybe by not playing Singles event, he would be fresh for MS3 duty.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Nothing is more comforting when you have LD asMS3