Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Seriously? Coming from you?
    And you think any other pair could have done it better? Like the scratch Thai pair?

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

No, but I am not jumping on the stage to announce Zhang Nan as the Best Player of Thomas Cup for China.

But I think he would make my Top 4

Best, we should reserve the best tag for Shi Yuqi, Li Junhui, Liu Yuchen

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Remember LXR in the first half of 2012?

I am hoping Gao FJ will do a LXR in 2020. We will see.

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I didn't say to announce him as the BEST PLAYER. I said why not give him some credit as he deserved it too. It seemed like everyone had forgotten that had they were not ranked higher than Li/Liu, Li/Liu would have to face the strongest pair instead in MD1 hence in SF they would have to face Marcus/Kevin in SF or whoever. Do you think they would actually win all their matches and gained some confidence in the end? And if they were the MD1 in final I don't think Li/Liu would have the same assurance that SYQ or LD would win the tie if they had lost, would they have performed well?

To say ZN didn't deserve some credit just because he lost to World's no.1 pair is just absurd. I seriously think he is taken for granted for too long. Even LD is getting a lot the credit for just being in the team as MS3 for the "assurance" the younger players needed.

Disappointed to hear it from you but whatever. Anyone for their own thought.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Honey, cheer up!

I think Zhang Nan was sublime in MD final and I do understand that heroics of Zhang Nan after Chen Long was beaten to unconsciousness by Kento Momota were not sung as they should have been.

But honestly, Zhang Nan himself would have expected to win all the match, EVEN the KSS/ MGF match.

Zhang Nan is invaluable to this team, but fortunately or unfortunately Their were few stars shining Even Brighter for China.

But, we will continue to sing high praises of Zhang Nan in the near future.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Cai Yun was more impressed by Shi Yuqi and Li Junhui, that's his personal view. I too was a bit surprised he didn't mention Zhang Nan, perhaps he expected more from him.

7. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    There isn't any doubt that ZN is a great doubles player. To be world MD champion with a partner that isn't truly a natural MD player means ZN has to do a lot more. Perhaps thats what ZN prefers as FH was similar, until later stages where he became a good front court player. The reason why SY and the 2nd doubles players were chosen was because their encounters were crucial and they rose to the occasion.
    Frankly ZN would have a better chance to beat KSS/MGF if their partnership is broken up. There are some exciting young chinese pairs coming up and if these are encouraged by being sent to ROW tournaments I feel they would gain enormous confidence.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I had never said ZN was the star of this tournament or anything of the sort. I didn't even care if he were no. 4 in your top player list. But discrediting him for losing one match against World's no.1 pair was unjustified. That match would had been INA's anyway whichever pair CHN fielded in MD1.
    He should have at least been credited for holding up the team's morale the whole tournament if not for his supposedly less than satisfying performances (losing to the INA pair in 3 games). Having ZN as MD1 and LD as MS3 had become the comfort of the team especially to the younger players.

Not taking away the credits of SYQ or Li/Liu because they had deserved it and I have no doubt they were the rising stars of CHN team.

However, would you honestly believe the CHN team would have been as solid as this had Li/Liu served as MD1? Or if LD weren't reserved as MS3? CL had to take the fall for being MS1 and played Momota in the final.

Li/Liu won the match because they were in a favorite situation. CHN leading 2-1 and if they had lost LD would come up and won the tie. If it were in different situations, say CHN losing 1-2, could they really hold up till the end?
    In G3 how could you say they played brilliantly when they kept hitting long every other point until the JPN pair reached the MP first? This time they got away with it and I applauded them for making it nonetheless.

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I think Zhang Ning has decent strategy and tactics. A couple of times, I would observe WS players under her lagging behind initially, and after the break, whether mid game or change of ends, the player will play differently and start leading. It would be good to continue to have Zhang Ning from the strategic point of view, but perhaps someone better can start training the ladies physically, or adapting and developing other styles.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-06-01/doc-ihcikcew3650929.shtml dated 1st June 2016

So the once rumoured romantic relationship between Zhao Yunlei and Hong Wei is true, the couple has registered their marriage at Xiamen as announced by Hong Wei on his weibo account with pictures which was reposted on Zhao Yunlei's own weibo account as well today !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations and best wishes to Zhao Yunlei and Hong Wei. May their years ahead be filled with love and happiness as they embark on a journey to build their new lives together.

11. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Hey, I just wonder if you should post this in Li Junhui thread (instead and/or as well as) . I know it will be nice to post something in a more interesting thread with many people watching, thus has better chance to get attention and reply. But not all people watch the big group as it tends to have too much information for people that are not interested that much on it. By posting a specific players' thing here means the post will get drowned easily and chance that (including new) people that wants to look at news about certain players cant see the post

12. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

As well as, this post. Might be nice to see the news article in Zhao Yunlei's thread as extra information, aside of a screenshot picture given by Visor

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd like to but I couldn't find the Li Junhui thread, not sure if there's one to begin with, that's why I put it here out of convenience.

I share your concern.

stanleyfm likes this.
  14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Shi Yuqi played key role in CHN-INA semifinal showdown, Jonatan Christie is the most difficult opponent to overcome during his maiden Thomas Cup campaign, looking at his emotional expression when defeated Christie in three games. Coming back from losing first game, I noticed heavyweight pressure on Shi YQ at that time.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20180612/048742.htm dated June 12th 2018 (my translation follows)

According to 'Vanguard Table Tennis - Badminton' magazine's official weibo revelation, 43-year-old Hunan Team coach and the 9th China National Games (2001) Men's Singles champion, Luo Yigang, has just been promoted to coach the National Women's Singles 1st Team.

Luo Yigang was a late bloomer, in 1998 at age 23 he won the Swedish Open championship, in that year he also emerged a semifinalist of the All England. In 1999, he clinched the MAS Open MS title, the year after he was the KOR Open runner-up. But owing to the intense competition in China, Luo Yigang was not selected for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

At the 2001 China National Games, the soon to be 27 years old Luo Yigang was already planning retirement, yet he put up an exceptional performance, prevailing over Xia Xuanze in the semifinals for a place in the MS Final. Awaiting Luo Yigang in the final was the 18-year-old Lin Dan, and everyone at that time thought highly of the young and promising up-and-comer Lin Dan, nobody gave Luo Yigang much of a chance. However, the eventual outcome was, Luo Yigang overturned Lin Dan by 2 - 1 to seize the crown, and , thereby, achieving the most important title in his career.

In 2002, Luo Yigang chose to retire and travelled alone to Denmark for a badminton-related job. After two years abroad in 2005, Luo Yigang once again return to Hunan badminton team, and in 2006 was officially appointed the coach of Hunan Provincial Team. In 2006 when he just started leading the Hunan 1st Team, it counted the likes of Bao Chunlai , Zheng Bo, and other famous players.

Around 2008, Luo Yigang was concurrently the coach of the CHN National Junior Team, at the same time working assiduously together with Chen Qiqiu and others to advance from the third to the second national team. And now he is the coach of the National WS 1st Team.

pcll99 likes this.
  16. antssantss

Retired
    Thanks for the information Justin. Hope he will make a difference. Wonder when we will see him on the sidelines.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks, Justin.

Is he replacing Zhang Ning?

18. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

19. antssantss

Retired
    It's the right thing to do. Just as in the football league. You don't perform you are out. Otherwise how do they get better. Her style of play is out of date.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think asking Li Zi Feng to return to women's singles may also be a good idea.

[​IMG]