Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It would be miracles to have another LD in any team at all actually. It would be any team's dream to have one LD per team in any generation.

Cheung likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Liu Yuchen gives Special Credit to Lin Dan in Thomas Cup Triumph

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Liu Yuchen told media that he and Li Junhui were confident that Lin Dan would save the TIE for team China even if they lost and hence threw the kitchen sink against Watanabe/Sonoda in the last moments . That Lin Dan as 3 Men's Singles was a big relief for them throughout the tournament.

visor, yuquall and Justin L like this.
  3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I bet LD came to them in his Champion T-shirt and told Li/Liu "See this t-shirt? Rest assured because I am definitely selling this after Thomas Cup. If you win the match, I'll give you the first editions with my autographs"

4. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

i want to believe the game of badminton will evolve over the years. faster, fitter, and harder smashes. so, LD style cannot work anymore. it is like comparing today game with those of the 70. rally will be long so maybe each set is 15 points. we shall see.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Do you forget that LD is 34 or 35 years old? If his style or whatever you call it didn't work, it would be because of the age factor. He has actually evolved too according to his age not persisting to keep his older form which was faster, fitter and hard smasher. And to still be in the top 10 (or about) with his condition right now, how could you say his style hasn't been working anymore while many others were faster, fitter and hard smasher?

Justin L likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Well, he is doing pretty well having competed with the fast style and changing to control style!

Justin L likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's precisely Lin Dan's role as MS3, to steady the ship and inject confidence in the team, which is why Xia Xuanze insisted on having him in the team despite his age. In fact, Liu Yuchen's sentiment is shared by all the other team members from what I've gathered as some have openly expressed.

8. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

i am not comparing him with the current players. the generations to come will be fitter, faster and stronger.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Exactly how LD's style cannot work with the later generations? When he still manage to win over the teen players?

I am not sure I get your point yet.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually not by much. When you see courtside footage of him in his early days, it's pretty jaw-dropping. The game has just changed, which is more due to strings and rackets developing further and allowing for higher tensions and more precision...also by digitalization and the possibility of taping and studying opponents, the big teams tape just EVERYTHING these days.
    The athletic differences will be there, but they're secondary to the equipment differences if you compare 2004-2006 to 2016 onwards.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah I think the easy access to media references is the biggest asset nowadays. Looking how Denmark team could analyse the information in a very precise and statistical manner was kind of terrifying. They had a video guy on the podium receiving a gold medal for Pete's sake.

That's how many players have managed to beat LD, by studying his match videos over and over until they come up with the right winning strategy. The more matches you play out there, the more "exposed" you become. How to be unpredictable and unexpected in every match is basically one of the key to outsmart those statistics.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Is that an official poster?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I may , the Chinese words below say, Never Stop Being a Champion - 20 World Championships, is that enough, (re)writing his legendary exploits ?

skhai91, yuquall and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They would have to print another T-shirt for another championship.

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Does anyone happen to know what size Lin Dan wears when using a Li-ning kit? About to buy a short and shirt from the brand and he is pretty much my size. Li-ning sizing is pretty confusing from what I’v read.

Thought it would be best to ask here as someome might have a worn shirt or kit from Lin Dan. Thanks.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What do you wear in European sizes? How tall/heavy are you?

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Its actually not even broadcast video or sth, it's the teams taking their own camcorders to events taping players...the Chinese team had at least 3 cams running non-stop whenever I went to the German Open, for example, and the Koreans as well. Other teams probably aren't doing much less, but I just didn't spot them or they weren't represented enough to bother sending the video stuff out. Chinese team appears to take about 1 big suitcase worth of video equipment, cameras, batteries etc, and they have to store all that somewhere too, so hard drives and computers as well... :D
    But I would guess there are no teams with a more professional and serious approach to badminton than China and Denmark.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

India prefers Gopichand's eye test.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It would be stupid to broadcast whatever they have:p. I was just saying it was easy to upload, transfer, edit etc nowadays. Before they had to physically upload the video (tapes), transfer (by transportation) and download it. Now it's all digital and virtual.