BWF CALENDAR 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I have the same problem, no clue about the tour anymore. I check BC every day though so I wont miss anything important :)

stanleyfm likes this.
  2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The same. I only knows it mainly from this forum or instagram now....

But still, that is a setback from marketing point of view

3. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

We have to admit that India Open is always like that.. Combination of both the scheduling and the location deter would-be participants.

Well let's hope for better in 2019 since it "should be" back to 2017 timeline.. Commonwealth Games in Australia really made BWF World Tour's first year a mini-failure

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

I lament it too. I checked out the World Tour rankings yesterday and if the current Top 8 of the 5 disciplines made it, the Finals would definitely not be watchable with a lot of 2nd tier players. We’ll see if it normalizes but so many events too close together (WC, Asian Games) that the top players will be forced to choose and skip some. To give you a snapshot of the weeks to come, there will be a 2 week break after TUC and then followed by 7 weeks of tournaments (4 of which top players are required to play) starting with US S300, CAN S100, MAS S750, INA S1000, THA S500, SGP S500 then RUS and JPN S100 in the same week. The following week would be the World Championships. A 2 week break follows and then we have the Asian Games. Too jam packed. I hope the players avoid injuries. :(

Justin L and stanleyfm like this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My thoughts exactly. That whole calender is just a big mess - I wonder if they will change anything for next season.

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    There are no CWG, TC/UC, AG next year. That should help them spread it a lil.
    But seriously, this year it's ridiculous.

I don't look for the schedule either. Cause I am not sure, which tourney to look out for anymore. If there's more than a couple of pages of discussion on this forum, I checkout the results, but that's that.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

2019 BWF calendar has better time-slot arrangement than this year hectic and congested schedule => http://bwfcorporate.com/events/calendar/2019/remaining/0/-1/

The insane and tiring schedule will be started end of this month, MAS Super 750, INA Super 1000, THA Super 500, SGP Super 500, four weeks non stop BWF World Tour tournaments in South East Asia region. Two weeks break to prepare WC (30 July-05 August) then followed by Asian Games (19-28 August). Just wondering how elite players particularly for the Asians will reach their best in two major events with only brief resting time period:rolleyes:

nilesh123, Justin L and s_mair like this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

2019 looks to have better schedule.

But wonder why they emptied June time slot and put it on July. IndonesiaOpen is grouped with JapanOpen next year.

They can always start Thailand and Malaysian Masters a week later. So insistive to start on the 1st week.

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

2019 has its share of packed chaos! :)

4 Weeks in a row
    a)March 19-24 Badminton Asia Mixed Team Championships (Results used for Sudirman Cup in May)
    b)March 26-31 India Open Super 500
    c)April 02-07 Malaysia Open Super 750
    d)April 09-14 Singapore Open Super 500

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And if you extend it to the three weeks before that, I get a certain feeling that the entry list for the Swiss Open will be at the same low level as this year:
    a-3) February 26 - March 03 German Open
    a-2) March 05-10 All England Open
    a-1) March 12-17 Swiss Open

As every year, the German Open will be used for several players as a warm-up for the AE wheras the Swiss Open sits exactly where everyone wants to take a break to prepare for the following 4 weeks tournament marathon.

Edit:
    The only reason I can imagine why some of the top guns might show up at the Swiss Open would be to get a feel for the venue in which the WC will take place. But anyway, most of them know that place already from playing there in the past years.

nilesh123, Justin L and badmuse like this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As it is, LCW has elected to concentrate more on the quadrennial AG than the annual WC, saying the former event will be his last appearance and final shot at gold.

I supposed, Lin Dan too would have to choose between the WC and the AG. Let's see which of the two he values more in view of his 5 WC and 2 AG golds.

12. event

event Regular Member

Just one small point. The continental mixed team championship results are not used for the Sudirman Cup. Admittance to Group 1 of the Sudirman is based purely on ranking.

badmuse likes this.
  13. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    Might not be the right place to ask, but does anyone know if the Malaysia open 2018 tickets are available to purchase online? It's less than a month away and I can't find anything online :/ Any help is much appreciated :)

14. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

According to BAM, you can check myticket.asia

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ likes this.
  15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

too expensive compared to previous edition...

16. Master

Master Regular Member

Here are more complete information from BAM Official Twitter account:

BWF World Tour made everything more expensive :D

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think my seat last year at StadiumPerpaduan was about 140-150RM for season tickets. Must be there at the side (lower tier)

So yeah you can say its at least 50% more expensive