TOTAL BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals 2018 : QUARTERFINAL & SEMIFINAL (24 & 25 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 23, 2018.

1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I just recently watch all semifinals because it has been a busy day! So, I want to say a lot of things:

Congrats to Thailand! Upsetting China for the first time ever. All of them works super hard to achieve the win, darn it it was so long!. However, I pity LXR, she was injured for a long time and has not been the same since. Not to mention that CHN WS also disappoints too much when the time is crucial. LXR was definitely in the worst possible situation.

Also I applaud China for beating INA in a super tough matches! The MS between CL and AG was so tense and tight. Gideon/Kevin does not fail the team after a good win. Once again, SYQ shows that he can improve and do it right when it matters! Li/Liu also did well, beating Ahsan/Setiawan once again to settle the tie. How can INA squad put Ahsan/Hendra there, their kryptonite is Li/Liu! The match between JPN/CHN tomorrow will be an absolute cracker.

JPN, both Uber and Thomas team has not disappointed yet, beating the young KOR team and experienced DEN team, respectively.
    I have expectation that they will reach final, and the did it! Hope they can produce good matches tomorrow and possibly lift the crown tomorrow.

Overall, I expect a great finals tomorrow! What a time to be a badminton fan.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think Ginting is better than Taufik if taufik were to play in this era. Its nicer to be inconsistent but winning SS titles. Hope he can win AsianGames.

His netplays can torment ChenLong, Axelsen and he beaten Momota before too. Not many player can beat ChenLong 3x. If only he won the 1st game today, who knows...

Cheung likes this.
  3. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Yeah she was seated with the CHN team and as beautiful as ever! But annoying cause those new commentators didn’t acknowledge her presence when she was pictured. I don’t think they knew who she was. o_O

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

China MD

stanleyfm and Sundis like this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OK, noted

badmuse likes this.
  6. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Somehow I can't help but wonder if HS/MA current situation (age catching up, slowing reflexes and facing injuries) be a future reflection of the minions when they move towards their late 20s or even 30s ( if they can continue playing then).

The minions reminds me alot of the way HS/AH play. Both pair have similar style.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

:eek:o_O:rolleyes::confused::D:p

There aren't enough emojis to say what I have in my mind right now :D:D:D:D

stanleyfm and badmuse like this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks, I didn't get to see Li Junhui trying to rip off his shirt, bungled, and I heard it was a hilarious attempt.

stanleyfm and badmuse like this.
  9. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

I saw the legendary Sun Jun and I still have his signature before he became World Number 1. (Gosh! That was ages ago!)

Sadly, China did not learned from the mistake for fielding a player(Li Xuerui) who had just recovered from injury.
    Sun Jun was a good example, he was given a place for the Olympics even though he was far from his best after the injury, in the end there was no happy ending and he retired.

Forestal and stanleyfm like this.
  10. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Yes...He could not get it off his head nor could he rips it off. :p

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Maybe LD forgot to tell LJH how to do it properly. I wonder how LD must have felt witnessing his junior failing to do what he was so good at.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Gao Fangjie at the post-match interview stated that her rhythm and momentum was disrupted by Nichaon Jindapol's long delay at the end of G2.

stanleyfm likes this.
  13. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Thanks for the sharing Cheung!

It's possible. Alot of Asian players start training from a younger age, hence they tend to retire earlier compared to Danish players.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Makes for an interesting and enjoyable sight, providing laughter to the audience. I'm sure the organizer and BWF would appreciate it, the optics is funny and entertaining to behold.

15. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Congrats to Japan and China both teams definitely deserves to be in the final more than anyone else
    Will be looking forward to the final at Sunday and Especially the first match will be a thriller of the great ones

For the Danish team players. There isn't much to say other than Boe was as normally playing it cool and clever and for me he is a master-class evergreen salute !
    The rest of the team should try to look deep into a mirror and ask themselves how cool it actually is to Alpha-jump around with the fist to the chest and celebrate each and every point like it was a victory, nope fellows it's mega uncool and It doesn't make a HULK :)

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's water under the bridge now, but I can't help but think the Uber Cup semifinal might've been different had CHN fielded WS1 Chen Yufei, WS2 He Bingjiao and WS3 Gao Fangjie. That's life, we pay the price or bear the consequences for the decisions we made.

My worry now is that Li Xuerui may take the humiliating defeat due mostly to her atrocious performance too hard, and scuttle her comeback attempt going forward. For her case, at her age and after such a trying experience struggling to come back from a long injury layoff, it's likely to be a huge psychological blow to her motivation and aspiration. Who knows, it could spell the end of her career, cutting it short.

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. nizze

nizze Regular Member

The wheels of fortune are ever changing.

Less than 6 years ago, the CN women's team were, imo, almost undefeatable. Be it at an individual or team tournament level. It would take herculean effort and great form to beat them.

Fast forward 2018, CN is out of UC final.....

Personally I feel since the retirement of top players like WYH, WSX, ZYL/TQ, WXL/YY and even the injury plagued LXR, the current generation of female CN players seems to pale slightly in comparison.

Especially the WS players. They are good players but seems to be some distance away from becoming top players, like their predecessors.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah I pity LXR, she is put into line of fire and for what?
    China have 2nd WS in HBJ and yet decide to lose trust in her.

In the end, this decision will destroy both HBJ and LXR career.

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is the gamble the coaches take. If an off form He Bingjiao played, then Gao might have been a better bet at third singles...

Mind you, the women's doubles was not a forgone conclusion for China so, .... difficult choices.

stanleyfm likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the moment, I'm placing my hopes more on the 19-year-old Gao Fangjie and the two 18-year-olds, Wang Zhiyi and Cai Yanyan. Not too sure about Zhang Yiman and Han Yue, need to watch their development further.

The 20-year-old Chen Yufei may still be one of them , it's just that under normal circumstances she is generally quite steady , stable and consistent relative to her fellow teammates but her mental strength obviously not up to it and her game I find somewhat one-dimensional, lacking in creativity and deceptiveness.

As for He Bingjiao , I admire her talent, the best among the lot in CHN, imo, but what a waste of talent and her fitness is still somewhat suspect, an issue that surprisingly hasn't been addressed thoroughly by her coaches until now. Her inconsistency and ding-dong form is a pain to watch.

nizze likes this.