Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xsakurax, May 25, 2014.

1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Perhaps they are too... professional?
    I mean, like they need to get the job done, and like "I know what to do", "No need to communicate over something like this".

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Communication releases stress

No communication and it's stress + stress + stress + stress + stress + stress

3. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

What to do, they have the role of finishing the job up, as senior players.
    No more fun moment, it's all job now.

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Fun fact is that both players had problems/quarrels with previous partners.

Tan Wee Kiong used to have a promising partnership with Mak Hee Chun but they ended up falling out.
    Same with Goh V Shem and Lim Khim Wah.

With strong personalities sometimes it isn't easy to get along when things start going rough and they aren't producing the results they are expected to.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    These guys desperately need a good coach. It's blatantly obvious where their faults lie and yet it hasn't been addressed. Such a good pairing with a lot of potential and it is painful to see them making the same mistakes all the time.

Tan has improved and matured a lot but Goh has not. But Goh's problems are largely down to his mentality which is not easy to fix.

Watching their match against the minions today, it was a match they could have won. But they employed the wrong strategy and Goh let KS into his head. Such a shame.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Tan has his occasional knee problem, and Goh... his usual mental problem of needing to be "laid back" in order to perform his best. Unfortunately he gets unwittingly drawn into these mental games with KS or Boe and it all goes downhill from there with him hitting out or into the net.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Jun Wei likes this.
  7. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Paulus Firman IMHO is a better coach than Cheah Soon Kit, but the performance yesterday is really down to the players..their mental strength is not good. The same can be said about Marcus Finaldi who was faulted 3 times for service error.

Jun Wei likes this.
  8. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Difficult for us to speculate as we're just viewers. I would like to think that whatever problems we see, the coaches probably see it too.

But yes, watching players make the same mistakes every match, or something like Lee Zii Jia's one-dimensional strategy yesterday sometimes make me feel that the coaches are to bear more of the blame instead of the players.

9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

unfortunate Jeremy Gan no longer under BAM, or else the double department might able to be world beater again...

Jun Wei likes this.
  10. Jun Wei

Jun Wei Regular Member

It is obvious Goh and Tan is not speaking terms with one another. Just look at their body language.
    Look at the third game against the minions, Goh was playing like a social player.

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    They've never really been vocal people, but it didn't seem like they weren't on speaking terms in my opinion. I remember seeing Tan exchanging a few words with him throughout the match, particularly after being provoked by KS. I think what you saw in Goh's body language was him reacting to KS. Tan knew what KS was doing and was able to keep calm and I can only imagine him telling his partner to ignore his immature antics.

12. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    I don't know why after so many times they still can't deal with Sukamuljo's antics. Professional players should know better as KS is the same every bloody time. Why does it still get to them? Goh was just out of control during that match.
    They could have beaten the Indonesians as at one stage they were leading like by 15-8 in the first game.
    The coaches are really not doing their jobs. They need to basically work these two guys to the point of exhaustion, both physically and mentally so that come competition/tournament time, they can cope with the toughest of situations.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

From what I can see, only certain players are affected by KS's antics. Eg. Boe, Goh. Something about their personalities. Most other players (eg. Chinese, Korean, and Indonesian of course because they have to practice with him) just brush it off.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

14. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    They're too laid back and no hunger to win, as it seems. I know they don't show any emotion, but how can you play at top level, as though you don't care if you win or lose. They're placid, and have no fighting spirit. I remember how they lost against the English pair in the Commonwealth Games in the SF, they had never lost against them and the Malay pair supposed to have been the Fav to win the title.
    I feel sorry for the team, they have no top players in WS,WD MS (off course apart from the elderly LCW) and XD.

15. Savage Attack

Savage Attack Regular Member

Student
    Is GVS back to the JS10 cos when they were vs Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda, his strings broke and he used his old JS10 again

16. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

lost again to JPN no.1 pair, because they unable to keep the speed that JPN pair has possessed, summore the JPN pair are coached by INA guy (Rexy's Bro), the strong doubles elements are come from Indonesia...

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Disagree. If you'd watched their R16 match against Zhang Nan and Liu Cheng, you wouldn't be saying speed was the issue. They played like a completely different pair in the QF. It was completely embarrassing to watch. In R16 I saw the Rio Silver medalists. In the QF I just saw a random couple of guys playing in a huge ass hall. Then again I was rooting for YYS and Tan Boon Heong the whole way.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

18. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

The problem, once again, is not the coach's guidance but the players themselves. Goh/Tan were super nervour from the get go and being destroyed 9-21 is not going to help. They played badly like amateur player and deserve the lose. What a yoyo pair.

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally do think the problem with Goh and Tan is largely down to the coach.

On a strategic level, Tan is not doing enough to feed his partner's awesome smash. He needs to be disciplined enough not to attack every net/midcourt shot and play more like ZN/LYD by forcing a lift. Goh has a fantastic smash yet it is not being used enough because Tan is too eager to play the flat game.

Defensively, Goh is an obvious weak link. He really needs to work on his defence. His stance is too high and does not seem keen. Tan seems to be the only one that can turn counterattack consistently whereas Tan just lifts and lifts.

Aside from mental issues, imho, if they can fix the two problems above and keep consistent they can be so much better.

20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

seems like this pair is no longer what we see in Olympic 2016 till Dubai SS Finals 2016...