YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Well I had a 88S 3U and it felt very easy to use. In fact I'm selling it and getting a 88D 3U instead next week. I will be able to compare the two 3U versions but not with the 4U versions. Given that you used a 3U z slash before, I would suggest a 3U 88S to be the best fit.

2. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

In case you are shipping the 88S 3U to Europe pm me your price inc shipping cost.

I think the 88S 3U would be the right choice for me as well.... because 88D 3U would be a big leap from ArcZS

3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Yep. Unfortunately I've already sold it :) you can buy it internationally online.

4. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

You said you liked it. Why did u sell it then?

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

It was too light. I'm almost certainly going to like the D more.

6. badmintony

Goodluck on your next purchase then☺

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Will post a review :)

8. badmintony

Sweet. I look forward to that to add to my long list already of reviews and feedbacks gathered from the other AX88D users here☺

9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Tbh I really did like the S but my budget is limited so to get the D I had to sell the S. I don't usually buy and sell constantly. I'm expecting all the good things from the S plus some extra head heaviness and stiffness which would be awesome.

10. badmintony

It's a wise decision. Sometimes we can't have it all☺

11. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Do you play double or single mostly ? what level ? I am asking just to have feel on 88D 3U , I play double mostly and I am used to LD Force 3U almost 5-6 games and then I switch to DUO10 or DUZS If I have to play remaining 2-3 games. I sometimes start with ZF2 3U for 3-4 games before I gradually go to LDF 3U or DUO10/DUOZS .. I purchased 88S 3U but did not get chance to play with it yet as I was traveling last week probably next week I will have few sessions .. I am also thinking to buy 88D 3U or 4U depending on how 88S performs ... ...

12. badmintony

You could refer to konquerian's and the other guy's mini reviews on the 88D 3U a few posts back. That should give you some ideas on how this thingy is.

13. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Only Kon did give nice info on 88D 3U and learnt that he plays double too . .. Thats positive for me .. but need more and more and more people to give feedback . I need to be patient , no rush ;);) .. 30 % writes the reviews correctly in terms of what level they are at , what games they play ( single or double ) , what racket they use , what string , whats their strength ( power or non-power ) and lastly comparison with several other rackets .. if you are able to read the review and find all these components you can co-relate ( w.r.t you game ) several things on practical ground .. This helps one in purchasing and choosing correct racket .

14. llrr

llrr Regular Member

It's really difficult to say what level I'm at because in different places it's completely different. I would say in between intermediate-advanced. I play both singles and doubles. A few pages ago I wrote a review of the 88S 3U vs ZF2 and DZS 3U. I use zf2 for singles, and dzs (and now 88s) for doubles. Soon I will be using 88D 3U for doubles. I also know a bit about how LDF and Duo10 feels so here's a bit of a comparison.

DZS for me is even balanced and due to its extra stiffness it's probably the hardest racquet to use out of all of these mentioned. 88S has a higher BP, but considering it's 5mm shorter, it's actually more head heavy relatively speaking than a normal racquet with the same bp. The thing that stands out for the 88S is that when driving it feels stiff like the DZS but when smashing it's more flexible like a Duo10. The problem is it's really not THAT head heavy and so smashes really do suffer. LDF is like a toned down version of ZF2 with less stiff shaft, more distributed head heaviness, and a normal head size. I won't hit with the 88D 3U until next week but I already can imagine it to have alot of power but is just as fast as the S, especially if you're used to heavy, stiff racquets. The biggest thing I've noticed with the astrox racquet is the ease of accessing power. It's different to all the other racquets I've tried.

RajUS likes this.
  15. badmintony

Fair enough. But in the end, you and you alone would have a final verdict on your choice of racket. One's decision to buy a racket would always be a kind of leap of faith, sometimes to the point of like getting married

16. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Fair enough .. Got the sense and more info on this .. Looks like ( you might also feel ) 88D 3U will be easier to use than LDF 3U we may have to compromise of 10-15 % power.. which is fine as you do not always keep smashing .. lets see how it plays for you and others . It will be interesting to keep this racket as well in the . Do anyone has the authentic info on 88S and D's exact BP ? some website ? LDF and ZF2 goes to 305 ( citation - google.com )

17. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Kulidone,
    You dont have to go overseas for the 3u versions, in France they are available as well..I have ordered a 88d 3u version. Dont know if it is allowed to paste links of shops here so Pm me if you want info.

18. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

France has both in 3u.

19. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I grip my racquets with towel grip on wood up to the cone. With grip and strings the bp for 88S is 297mm, DZS 295mm, and ZF2 315mm. I have to stress that the bp of AX racquets really don't mean much because of the shaft namd and rotational generator system.

20. badmintony

Hot dang,this racket is so much like an extension of my left hand☺ i'm at the court as i speak, just finished a couple of games and this really rocks. I had a clash though with a partner, good thing it wasn't a head on collision and just grazed it. Now it's in the bag, taking care not to damage it on my next game. Will be using the vt7 dg instead