Badminton: Two Malaysian players banned 20 and 15 years for match-fixing

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by SibugiChai, Feb 12, 2018.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

pcll99 likes this.
  3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the order is : they are "banned from performing any function in badminton for a period of [15 or 20] years. Such ban covers, inter alia, any administrative, coaching, officiating, or developmental functions" (my emphasis)

Can they do coaching privately? Yes, I think so since BWF can't enforce the order against a private individual.

Can they do coaching for a private club? If that club does not participate in any BWF-sanctioned events, I think probably yes.

kwun, stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sounds like other job plans will be needed.

It's going to be tough.

Once you get tempted by the first one, it's difficult to reverse. You get pulled in more and threatened by blackmail.

5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

ZZ's father is a coach. It would be extremely difficult for him coaching youngsters, this would be an ackward situation . Children are meant to bring good name to their families not the other way round. He brought bad name to whole Malaysia.

#165 Baddyforall, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

A shocked Zulfadli ready to tell his story

PETALING JAYA: Former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli was shocked at the 20 years ban slapped on him by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) after he was found guilty for match-fixing.

Zulfadli, 25, who appeared furious, is ready to tell his side of story and will call for a press conference in “a day or two”.

“I’m still recovering from shock due to the decision — I will certainly do a press conference in a day or two,” said Zulfadli via a text message in his first statement since the match-fixing controversy broke out.

He even asked a question: “#mangsa atau tertuduh? (#victim or accused?)”

Read the full article at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...-ready-to-tell-his-story/#Sv3LeaL75vxBLfzT.99

#166 undeadshot, May 2, 2018
  7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Disappointing to see that the ban is 20x more severe than that of someone who has been caught doping though. Now we are saying that match fixing is (far) more serious than doping and I do not believe that is the case. But it seems the BWF make exemptions for their untouchable stars

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @LD rules!

Good point you brought up.

One difference is match fixing will bring in a criminal investigation.

stanleyfm, samkool and Baddyforall like this.
  9. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Yes, i believe it is far more serious than doping.

1 doping is a desire to win. The players want to win to hard, thats why they doped.

2 doping doesn't guaranteed a win, match fixing guaranteed a lose! The certainty in it make it a much more serious offense.

Remember we have Olympics games that were marred by purposely losing.

Doping is a serious offense, it is unfair. Match fixing, is totally against sport

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    paragraph 251 of the Decision:

These two players should feel lucky. The Panel could have imposed a lifetime ban.

#170 pcll99, May 2, 2018
  11. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

hmmm actually i still can't fathom this... participating in this match-fixing really brings that much money? really?? anyone has some sort of idea, maybe rough calculation of the amount of money involved?

hmmm thinking about this i wonder if minions received any offer due to their winning streak....

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The problem exists with a lack of financial reward for players for winning matches. Especially if you are independent. I am not defending Zulfadli or Tan, they have both made mistakes that will cost them in many different ways, however, when it is easier to win 4/5x more money by losing a game or a match as it is than the prize money for the whole tournament, then you leave them with a difficult choice especially given how difficult it is as a professional player to make ends meet.

Doping is just as bad, you are trying to take shortcuts to a success you have not earned. If your desire is so strong, then you will not need supplements to top up your training as your dedication should speak for itself.

We don't have to bring up the Olympics again, but that was clearly a desire to overall win. Are you saying that if you are in the Olympics and you can ensure a better chance at overall success by losing a match you wouldn't take it? You need to consider the bigger picture. The system was the problem, not the players.

stanleyfm, visor and samkool like this.
  13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Easily $10,000 plus from what I am aware

14. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    A shocked Zulfadli ready to tell his story
    • BADMINTON
    • Wednesday, 2 May 2018

5:01 PM MYT
    • image: https://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/...hash=C0E782B44D9A2E96957528A9E476D0D7E5BB88DD

[​IMG]
      Zulfadli was shocked at the career-ending ban by BWF

PETALING JAYA: Former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli was shocked at the 20 years ban slapped on him by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) after he was found guilty for match-fixing.

Zulfadli, 25, who appeared furious, is ready to tell his side of story and will call for a press conference in “a day or two”.

“I’m still recovering from shock due to the decision — I will certainly do a press conference in a day or two,” said Zulfadli via a text message in his first statement since the match-fixing controversy broke out.

“It's time that I tell my side of the story. Fortunately, BWF did not have the power to pronounce death sentence — or else I am sure they would have preferred that option.

image: https://content.thestar.com.my/smg/...tertainment_MovieLovers,Demo_AffluentAudience

"It's through this tribunal I learnt that human rights is not recognised. You will hear more from me from the press conference."

He even asked a question: “#mangsa atau tertuduh? (#victim or accused?)”

BWF slapped Zulfadli and Tan Chun Seang with a 20 and 15 years ban respectively on all badminton activities for match-fixing between 2013 and 2016.

They were also fined US$25,000 (RM98,162) and US$15,000 (RM58,897) respectively.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...-ready-to-tell-his-story/#HKcebEGqyUwfpP2z.99

15. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

is that figure per match?

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't think there are good reasons to justify for the actions of the two players concerned.

Professional players know what the game is all about and if they have breached the rules they should be responsible for their own actions.

Frosty likes this.
  17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

#177 eaglehelang, May 2, 2018
  18. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
  19. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Tan Chun Seang never came out to defend himself...

20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

he knew he guilty sure he won't defend himself...