mark my words/predictions thread for 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by vozer here, Dec 28, 2017.

1. indrg

indrg Regular Member

LD has lost to Jonatan and Ihsan before very recently. CL has lost to Ginting twice in most recent back-to-back tournaments.

2. Amlite

Amlite Regular Member

Indonesia has got a better chance at this year Thomas Cup as Hendra agreed to come back to INA national squad. Hendra and Ahsan are reunited this year and he said that he aimed to take back world #1 *cross my fingers

MD would definitely be Indonesia's forte. They have the current and past world #1 playing for TC which are Kevin/Gideon and Hendra/Ahsan. As for MS, hopefully Ginting and Jonathan are able to spring some upsets. May the odds be ever in INA's favour

3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Indonesia going to be stron g again Thomas Cup.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For the new BWF tournament structure , remember there are 12 compulsory tournaments a year in the World Tour series for the top 15 singles players and top 10 doubles players ; in addition, there are also a few major events they have to play in, eg WC, TUC, AG,WTF (World tour Finals), not to mention Commonwealth Games this year for certain the players, LCW definitely as announced.

So, I won't be the least bit surprised if most of these top players/pairs may not be fully committed or well prepared to play the lesser tournaments as they aim to peak for the majors and just want to make up the numbers for the required tournament quota, esp at the beginning of the year as otherwise they would have little choice but to play all the remaining compulsory events in the latter half of the year or towards the year end regardless of their physical condition or state of readiness.

As it is, Lin Dan, Chen Long and Viktor Axelsen, Son Wan Ho, Chou Tien Chen, for example, have just played in two of the three WTS500 events (discounting the WTS300 Thai Masters), thus shaving off 2 out of the 12 mandatory , leaving 10 for the rest of the year. I supposed that makes sense for their tournament planning in the new season.

To me, it also meant that it somehow presented better opportunities for the lesser players and wannabes to have a reasonably good chance of snatching a title or two from the top guns, esp the 'oldies' who have passed their shelf life , so to speak, as realistically they'd be expected to struggle to cope with the hectic, overcrowded tournament schedule in order to meet the new BWF World Tour requirements and other important events.

You may want to refer to Section 5.3.6 Player Commitment Regulations of the BWF Statutes
    http://system.bwf.website/documents...-2018/5.3.6 Player Commitment Regulations.pdf

In particular: 2. “TOP COMMITTED PLAYER” OBLIGATIONS

2.1. Players occupying the top 15 places in Men’s Singles and Women’s Singles, and the top 10 places in Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles of the World Ranking as at the week after the BWF World Tour Finals the year before the relevant BWF Sanctioned Tournaments (“Top Committed Players”) will be required to play in the following Tournaments occurring in the full Calendar year:
    2.1.1. Level 1: BWF World Tour Finals;
    2.1.2. Level 2: All 3 Tournaments;
    2.1.3. Level 3: All 5 Tournaments; and
    2.1.4. Level 4: 4 of 7 Tournaments.

2.2. Any Players who, in addition to the Players above, occupy places in the top 15 in Men’s Singles and Women’s Singles, and the top 10 in Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles of the World Ranking as at the first Thursday of July before the relevant BWF Sanctioned Tournaments will also be deemed “Top Committed Players” and will be required to play in all Level 1-3 BWF World Tour Tournaments occurring in the remaining Calendar year and a minimum of 3 BWF World Tour Level 4 Tournaments.

[ Note section 2.2 above which practically states that all top 15 singles players and top 10 doubles players of the World Ranking as at the first Thursday of July will be required to play in all Level 1-3 BWF World Tour Tournaments occurring in the remaining Calendar year and a minimum of 3 BWF World Tour Level 4 Tournaments. - Justin L]

What are the penalties ? See here BWF Statutes, Chapter 2 – Section 2.5 Table of Offences and Penalties
    http://system.bwf.website/documents...ion 2.5 - Table of Offences and Penalties.pdf
    That is, Breach of Player Commitment Regulations 2.3, for every default, it is US$5,000 (five thousand, as before). Also take note of other offences and penalties.

The BWF Statutes http://bwfcorporate.com/statutes/#1513733528967-47d667b6-0737

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

If I am them, I will just play the all 3 tournaments now and basically only having to play 1 extra WT500 in the year.
    Thereby focusing myself on the majors and uses the other 8 (or 9 maybe) as 'real preparation tournaments'

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Year end Top 3

Untitled3.png

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

My prediction for 2018: All the hype with Momota is exaggerated and not appropriate.

8. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Ha? LD will hang it up by year end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

kl.jpg

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    i select uncle lee, lin and boy boy viktor to be top. Uncle chen maybe. ;)

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    i select aunties ri, tty and sindhu. ;)

12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

If they are aunties for you, you must be 10 year old kid. ;)

skhai91 and Griff88 like this.
  13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Marcus/Kevin has won 3 titles so far. Indonesian Masters, India Open and All England Open.
    Wonder if they could win another 3 or 4 within this year? o_O

#33 yuquall, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

er...hmmm.

Saru, Michael V, BeeKi and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Let‘s wait. If he wins a bunch of Super 1000/750/500 and the WC or Olympics I‘m convinced. High standard, but he has to do that to be compared to the greats like Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long.

16. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Still in denial? ;)

2020 Tokyo is looking really, really good for Japan's MS.

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

He also has to stay injury free. He‘s been training really hard judging from the heavy taping on his shoulder.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Objectively and realistically speaking, at this moment, we have to agree with you for one comeback tournament victory at the highest level cannot prove anything convincingly but it is an undeniable indication he's back to near or at his best.

Worth pointing out is that at the BAC against LCW, he nearly lost to the old maestro in two straight sets if not for the aged living legend suddenly losing his footing when 19-16 up in G2 and then the 12-year age gap is just too much for him in the decider, considering the veteran is already 35 not 30.

However, the best part is Kento Momota is still only 23 years old, still room for him to improve his game another level, partly thanks to the fact that his one-year imposed hiatus wasn't caused by injury layoff which would've been more debilitating and problematic.

While he may have a positive H2H against Viktor Axelsen, 6-2 in his favour, we must admit VA is now a different player. I very much look forward to their impending rivalry and throw in Chen Long whom I'd not discount his return to top form, not to mention other upstarts, we are in very interesting times ahead, not least because the two old stalwarts, Lin Dan and LCW, are both , admittedly, over the hill.

badders7, Rob3rt and kurako like this.
  19. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

First of all, how would losing the first game (you do mean G1, right?) constitute a straight set win? Secondly, if you are going to mention some misfortune for LCW at 19-16, you should not forget his extremely lucky netchord on the defensive backhand in the rally before (which was also his only winner after 13-13).
    And as for the rally you mention: where exactly is he "suddenly losing his footing"? Players, including Momota, have been slipping heavily on these courts all week, but I can spot hardly anything in this rally. If he does actually slip, it's because of two quality netshots to which he couldn't respond.

Overall weird line of argument.

visor and samkool like this.
  20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Judging from the wording, Justin L seems to believe that this was a three game match, and that somehow LCW had won G1??? ...The rest of the comments look sound, though. :D

The only game that Momota dropped in the entire tournament was one to Shi Yuqi.

visor and BeeKi like this.