How to start a stringing service

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by AdamMorin, Mar 30, 2018.

1. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Stringing is something that has always intrigued me. I have played badminton for 16 years and have always had everything done at the same pro shop all this time. My situation is that I live 8 hours north of a private club that offers stringing services. I know them very well obviously and could have connections for bringing in demo racquets and such. I have just always been stuck with the same situation for 16 years, as well as every other person that lives and plays in my community. This being that unless we travel ourselves for vacation or business(both rare) we have no way of getting our racquets strung. So we are forced with the decision to wait till all our racquet strings break and ship them out in a group to be re-strung via bus(but are left with no decent racquets play with for 2 weeks) or ship them individually as we break them. We also run the risk of the racquets themselves getting broken in shipment since everything just gets tossed under a bus in luggage to be transported. It has happened LOTS.

Shipping racquets individually to be strung is $30 for strings, then $32 for shipping it there and back in my hands. So to get a racquet re-strung I am looking at approx. $60-65 depending on bus freight price and my string of choice.

As you can see this can be super costly. If I use my string of choice (BG66UM) I can go through racquets like crazy. But if we wait for everyone to start breaking strings to split the cost and make it more efficient, it leaves us with no real decent racquets to play with and then we are stuck waiting approx. 2 weeks until they are back in our hands.

I was planning on putting some serious thought and research into a stringing machine/service for my small town. I would do all my planning in hopes to start something for the end of 2018 or start early 2019. It would not be a question of making my money return, I would be stringing for 6 elementary schools, 1 highschool, 1 college and club players. That is just in my city, I would also be the closest stop for many many outlying communities and schools.

This brings me to my questions..I am super new to stringing, I cant say I have even sat and watched one be completely strung before, even when I was playing competitive.

What would be the most user friendly stringing machine?
    I am assuming manual stringing is harder?
    What would be a great machine to start and learn on, but not need to upgrade once I get better?(price is no issue here. please suggest anything)
    What would be a good resource for information on stringing techniques and so forth?
    As a new-to-be stringer, what questions should I be asking that I am not?

Any insight would be amazing. When you just google stringing machines and stuff it gets pretty crazy with information and you also get a ton of random videos. Nothing really of substance or possibly reputable.

I am in hopes to start a business to just push my community a step forward to where we NEED to be. We lose to many players because of the inconvenience of needing to ship things away, travel to test a racquet, down time from shipping. People just move on to more convenient sports and eventually don't come back around. I know if I can get the right machine for the job, I would be very very busy with work and probably put people on waiting lists, since I am a carpenter by day. I would still be faster and cheaper then sending everything away and also risk breaking racquets on the bus, which has happened lots.

DarthHowie and Cheung like this.
  2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Hi there

If you want to get into stringing, take a look at a 6 point mounting machine with a dropweight for now (you can always grab yourself a good electronic tension head like the WISE later). Gamma and Superstringer make good machines. I use a Premium Stringer 3600 which is a cheaper option. Not tried one personally, but others have said avoid Eagnas and Pro's Pro like the plague.

Manual stringing isn't harder, but does take longer. Dropweight is definitely preferable to hand crank.

As for resources, Kwun and Alan Kakinami make some great videos for stringing. Take your time and focus on doing a quality job, there are lots of videos out there that advocate some dodgy techniques, so be wary about what you copy.

EDIT: RKEP 70Ti makes a fantastic practice string.

3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

4. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Great advice already. Check the stickies on this forum and some of Alan and kwuns videos.

+1 for superstringer (t20 or s90) or gamma

Rkep 70ti is a great practice string and very cheap for you overseas.

Just make sure you do some rackets for yourself and close friends first, to get the hang of it before you start it as a business.

5. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Do you think it would be best to get a better drop weight machine or a cheaper electronic machine? There is a dealer in Canada for me that sells all Gamma. The starting price for a counterweight machine with a stand is near or a little more expensive then a lower end electronic machine.

Examples:
    Drop weight
    http://racquetguys.com/product/01/M...hine-w-6-Point-Self-Centering-Mounting-System
    Electronic
    http://racquetguys.com/product/01/MXELS/Gamma-X-ELS-Electronic-Stringing-Machine

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    In my opinion, I'd rather have a good dropweight.

On most machines, you can remove the tension mechanism (like the dropweight bar) and install an electronic tension head anyway, so it's not like when you want to move onto a good electric machine you need to buy a whole new thing.

Electronic machines have more moving parts etc, so there's just more that can go wrong if it's not quality. The WISE 2086 is incredibly popular because it's such a high quality electric tension mechanism, and pretty affordable (at like £540, rather than £7000 or whatever Yonex charge for a Protech).

Cheung likes this.
  7. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Is there a machine on this canadian website that you believe I could use and and fit the bill? It's hard for me to truly tell at this point because I would like to have one that I know i can take to the grave with me or at least get my money back and then possibly upgrade after.
    Racquetguys.com

8. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I would not get these rotational electronic machines, weather get a dropweight and get a wise later.

I would get a machine with 6 points, a dropweight (not the crank/spring you linked) and fixed clamps, like this one:
    http://racquetguys.com/product/01/MP62F/Gamma-Progression-II-602-FC-Stringing-Machine

That type of machine will set you up nicely, and you can always fit a WISE later on brands like gamma and superstringer.

9. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Ahh yes, I see the difference. Does anyone here know of any canadian websites that sell stringing machines? All the pinned topics are from 2003/2004 so non of the US links really even work anymore.

Racquetguys.com is the only one I really know of. I'm open to suggestions! Or is there any other drop weight machine I should be looking at regardless of cost? The more user friendly the better!

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Gamma are good, I don't know where to buy from in Canada though.

11. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I think this Gamma Machine would be my best bet. It already comes with fixed clamps(2). Only crappy thing is that this canadian dealer does not sell a cover and stand for it :(

If I were to buy that Gamma machine would their be any other additional purchases I would need to make that are a must? other than string obviously. Or any other possible machines or brands I may need to peak at as well?

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Check the clamps are for badminton, and not tennis. Very important

Get yourself tools, I like to have straight fliers, bent pliers, and jewelry pliers.

DarthHowie and Cheung like this.
  13. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the rotational gripper. I have exactly that one and it's really good - smooth and quiet. Downside - you need a bit longer string (or use extension). Plus - it's not so expensive compared to ordering the wise later with all the hassle of shipping and export fees...

I really like my X-ELS machine - I can recommend it. Unless you have the money for the 8900 ELS - this is another beast and will be really awesome. I upgraded mounting table and clamps with the one from 8900 and it was absolutely fantastic.

14. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Roger!

6 supports (check)
    Load Spreader? no clue what this is, doesn't seem to be listed in the machine components
    Fixed Badminton clamps (check, they are for both badminton and tennis they say)
    1 fly clamp & starting clamp (check)
    Tool kit (check) comes with a kit + i can get some extra pliers separate.
    awl/string mover (check) comes with

Looks like I got almost all on the beginner list. Minus a couple pliers which I am sure I can search badminton central for and find what works for this job! Next stop, wtf is a load spreader google!

15. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Will take your advice and continue to do research! I am open to anything, at the end of the day I want to be set up to do the job, but don't need professional whistles that are extra cost that I may never use. Just want to do a good efficient job for my community so they don't have to go elsewhere!

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_62_156&products_id=492
    You put one at the 12 o'clock support on the machine. It stops the top of the frame cracking from the pressure at a very weak point. Don't need one at the bottom.

If the tools work for you, use them! I personally like the choice, and will often use a mix of straight and jeweler's pliers.

As for clamps... be wary :p My PS3600 came with 'all purpose clamps' that were very clearly for tennis.

17. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

how do you know the difference between the 2?
    how is the performance any different?
    are they visually different?

18. stradrider

Gamma universal clamps are fine, really no worries there.

19. stradrider

Another reason to consider the X-ELS, is that I don't think the red progression bottom is any good. It's plastic... The X table is made of metal and modular - you can move everything anywhere and has a nice finish.

20. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

That sounds nice. I hate cheap crap when it comes to components. What would you say the benefits are from going to a X-ELS from the drop weight machine, other then the stand?

I understand where some people may be coming from no computer less problems but more grunt work. You can always depend on manual labor over a computer driven. However, if I choose to go with drop weight and decide to upgrade with the WISE then what would be the difference, is the X-ELS computer worse or better then the WISE? What are the main arguments for either