DAIHATSU Indonesia Masters 2018 (23 - 28 Jan)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by pcll99, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

Indeed as you said.

Let's say, in 2017 you pay $$ for Superseries tournament. Then suddenly it become $$$$ for Super 500 tournament and you got bonus 6 matches overall (3 QF matches & 3 SF matches).

You pay double price when the overall package didn't change too much, AND the bonus isn't interesting at all (more TV broadcaster would reject it I think).

To attract more TV broadcaster to buy the package and to get more countries broadcast the badminton matches, It would be fair by giving the same price as 2017 (7 SS + 5 SSP + 1SSF) plus a special price if any broadcaster want to have World Tour Level 2 (Super 1000) coverage. IMO 20-30% increase would be fair to get the same package plus Super 1000 (3 tournaments).

Easy analogy : Get more buyers come with the same price, better than get total income increase by raising the price.

stanleyfm likes this.
  2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    and it's not only the price. tv stations don't like showing more than 3.5 hours of the same sports content. it's too hard to sell advertising spots. nobody wants to buy the time slots past the 3.5 hour point, which means the tv station will lose money.

bwf already want's to make the matches shorter, but how in the hell does that fit with making an 8 match 1/4 final broadcast & an 8 match semi-final broadcast the next day? they'll have to cut the scoring in half to make the broadcast sell-able. wtf do they want to do, make it 11 points to win...?!?!

maybe i'm not understanding bwf's logic. if i am overlooking something can someone make sense of it for me?

if you want $ in badminton to grow significantly you need to make it fit the demands of the television industry.

Griff88, visor and stanleyfm like this.
  3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Why can't tournaments run for more than 5 days? One match every two days for any player entering in one discipline. More rest = better quality matches. Also there would be less tournaments so each one can have more prestige with higher prize money. Less matches per day = more likely for TV stations to buy rights. Any down sides besides scheduling issues?

4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

More time wasted and less time for overall rest?
    That's why BWF decided to cut Qualification match for tournaments like All England.

5. JasonL

JasonL Regular Member

Helo all. Any new thread for the Yonex sunrise Dr akhilesh Das Gupta India open 2018? thanks

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

No because if you read what I wrote you would see that I mentioned having less tournaments if they each ran for longer. It's not wasted time if the tournaments become more prestigious and have higher prize money, coincidentally more likely since TV stations would be more inclined to buy broadcast rights to shorter sessions per day.

7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I have to agree that BWF is doing some stupid **** with their broadcasting decision

And to think that they want to shorten the matches duration with 5x11 but is doing this is utterly ridiculous. Any idea how we should 'help' bwf regarding this? I guess some hard words/letters really has to be sent to them.....

And to think that the quality of India Open this week is super low (for what they claim as the equal of SuperSeries)...

8. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    I totally disagree. First of all the problem is not the rules. Its the lack of enforcement of those rules. The umpires are simply not educated well enough, and apart from a couple of handfuls its new umpires who at the max umpires 2-3 tournament a year.
    The next problem is accepting a new rule - proposed by Malaysia - that so clearly favors short players. The third problem is the "device" they want to use for measuring. It is totally ridiculous, and will make badminton the laughing stock of professional sports.
    The worst problem is that it is not going to fix anything. Players will still try to violate this new serving height and they will be succesful. In order for them not to be succesful it would require the service judge to call every single fault, which they eventually won't do, because thats what we see at the moment - a fault called once in a while, but the calculating players will continue to weigh for and against breaking the rule. I.e. how many times can you expect to get called whilst having a good low serve that gives you an advantage compared to having a dubious legal serve that is never called. Until that consideration no longer pays off players like Gideon, Conrad etc. will continue to break the rules.

stanleyfm likes this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    there is no doubt the quality of officials is abysmal, which will never be cured as long as they are volunteers. so, the fault lies entirely with bwf and their quality control system. they do not want to pay for professional umpires. why pay for something that 'fans' will do for free, at their own expense of money and time. what difference will paying them make? accountability. if they do a bad job, they get fired, by someone who gets paid to keep a closer eye on them. right now a 'fan' will almost never give another 'fan' a bad job review. the 2 referee's are not completely paid either, just their expenses. that's why today's level of officiating is what it is.

my ?'n still stands: what other professional sport currently uses unpaid/volunteer officials?

players accept new rules quicker than you think. they have other more important things to worry about. how is it any different than the size of the court or height of the net? who has the advantage on those 2 aspects? are any players bitching about those? there are fixed obstacles in every sport.

do you honestly think the height of the serve will cause tall players to lose matches they otherwise would have won? axelsen, mads, etal. are mocking it, but they know it's not a game changer.

i have a great idea. if i do say so myself, heh heh...

there will be 2 devices on opposite sides of the net to lineup the height as you look through it, correct? well, put a camera on the opposite side of the court facing the service judge looking through the device. allow players to challenge the serve like they do for lines, under the current 2 challenge rule. simple, eh? this is the best way until they start using a laser/audible system like tennis. turn it on for the serve, it beeps for an illegal serve, automatically turns off after a legal serve. turn it on for the next serve. boom! solved.

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  10. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

For those whom demand bwf to have full-time court officials, like those in tennis?....please stop.
    In the recently completed grand slam, the first round loser gets $60k.(be it us$ or aud$ it does not matter).
    How much is this year's All Englands MS finals WINNER cheque?
    To be an effective court official, one needs to be mentally strong. There will be some out there who will know what I am blabbing about.
    BWF asks for its court officials to administer its rules but not be officious. Where is that line that is not to be crossed? Did those service faults called against LCW in the Dubai MS final ruined the match and/or the result?
    Flame me all you like; but please dont cast the first stones when we have not subjected ourselves sitting on the service judge chair at a high profile tournament.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So. In other words the bwf wants the appearance that the official rules are upheld, but not actually uphold them?

samkool likes this.
  12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    how much the players make is irrelevant. so is the amount tennis umpires are paid. the u.s. open tennis grand slam only pays $250/day so many tennis umps turn it down. the point is they are paid SOMEthing, which leads to a system of accountability. in a volunteer system of 'fans' how many will actually rat out their peers, or care how good of a job the others are doing? now ask yourself who is paying for the umpires hotel & per diem. bwf? nope. sponsors? nope. the tournament host/organizer is. yeah, the party with the lowest official authority. in essence bwf is saying 'we want the sport officiated, but we're not going to pay for it.'

does that surprise any of you out there?

j4ckie, It'sMeMeMe, Griff88 and 3 others like this.
  13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    For level 2/3, Super 750/1000, BWF allows 6 days , meaning first 2 days are first round. Now the loser of 1st round get money too.
    All England decided to have 5 days as the hall can fit 5 courts but We prefer Istora with 3 courts....

With additional hours ir matches, It is more burden for host financially

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So le
    So level 2 tour tournaments do not need four courts like the superseries did?

15. Master

Master Regular Member

BWF Channel comes with some new features...

Top Saves of the Week

Top Smash of the Week

Top Backhand Shots of the Week

Woman.in.Red and ebcd like this.
  16. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

weirdly enough, it's geo-blocked though..