Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Interesting and surprising, Tian Houwei's bid price of 58 lakh is 2nd only to Prannoy's 62 lakh but higher than Srikanth's 56.1 lakh and Viktor Axelsen's 50 lakh.

Good to see Lee Hyun Il, Wang Tzu Wei, Son Wan Ho, Brice Leverdez, Tanongsak S, Vincent Wong, for MS, and Tai Tzu Ying, Carolina Marin, Zhang Beiwen, Michelle Li, Sung Ji Hyun, Kirsty Gilmour, for WS in the mix. I guess a one-week tournament for that kind of money is quite alluring for the foreign players.

For the CBSL (Chinese Badminton Super League) , Lin Dan was previously paid RMB4m ( about USD605K) for 8 home matches (none away matches except one) spread over two to three months and entailing travelling from place to place across China for the away matches. I think it's the CBSL's tournament schedule, organization and structure that most foreign players find inconvenient and untempting despite the attractive bid and prize money.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan has joined Qingdao Club for the CBSL 2017-18 as the Main Men's Singles.

Chen Long returns to Xiamen.

Justin L likes this.
  5. Nine Tailed Fox

Team Qingdao

[​IMG]

ShuttleHeckUp likes this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan spotted wearing controversial jacket having 'KING' written on it.

[​IMG]

7. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

He looks like a pimp with that jacket, but apart from that why is it 'controversial'?

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's so mean of you, probably reflects your unconscious mind.

samkool likes this.
  9. GingerCorslette

I mean no ill of this, just asking why it is controversial? I have seen posts where LD is wearing something and is labelled 'controversial'. No harm in asking, right?

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You can question its controversiality without saying he looks like a pimp with that jacket, I'd have thought.

The word pimp has very negative connotations, offensive

#10710 Justin L, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  11. GingerCorslette

Alright then I apologise for the first bit, chill, no need for 'unconscious minds'.
    I'd say the second bit is not uncommon though, especially in other cultures. But I digress. No need to dwell on it.

So can we now talk about why the supposed controversiality? Does he have to wear sponsor attire everytime in public?

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    not automatically. it would depend on the context and delivery. since this is a text only forum we cannot know what ginger was thinking or feeling at the time. mad? angry? joking? cheeky? happy?

i think he looks like a pimp, too. now tell me, what am i thinking and feeling?

remember, there's more than 1 way to laugh on the internet.
    that's so condescending of you. is that a reflection of your subconscious?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The connotation of a word depends on cultural context and personal associations, you mean saying somebody looks like a pimp when you know he is not is unoffensive, nothing negative about it ? I wonder. Don't forget , we're going beyond the denotation of the word 'pimp'.

But when used on Lin Dan it definitely is. As we know, Lin Dan is flamboyant and fashionable, if you say he looks like a pimp, are you sure he won't take offence regardless of what you are thinking or feeling at the time ?

I agree with this author https://www.dailywritingtips.com/when-did-pimp-become-a-positive-term/

And what is the reflection of my subconscious, that it reflects Ginger's unconscious mind or that you think me condescending ? How do you know, your subconscious or,perhaps, unconscious mind? Whether psychology is a real science or not, is still debatable , psychoanalysis even more controversial.

Anyway, Ginger has apologised for that part and we have moved on. By the way, in answer to Ginger's second part - of course, Lin Dan can wear anything he likes outside of training or tournaments, that's his private life, his right.

#10713 Justin L, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  14. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I for one thought the 'controversial' nature was because of having KING written on it. But I mean, he is the undisputed king of badminton, right? :D

Didn't get the pimp idea at all. To be fair, I thought it just had an American frat/jock/football jacket style going on...nothing special?

Rob3rt likes this.
  15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    'pimp' can also be a term of affection. especially in the countries with free speech. that fanboy self-appointed bc.com speech cop doesn't live in a free speech society so i don't know what else to tell you.

'51% disturbing. 49% hilariously pathetic.'

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you question Psychology as a science, large portions of medicine and all social sciences are just as questionable, or anything that relies on statistical evidence, really....

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're fond of name-calling to discredit what I say instead of focusing on my arguments. Is that your so-called free speech ?

Out of curiosity, care to cite your source for that result ? Is "hilariously pathetic" an indication of approval ? I doubt very much.

As an aside, don't assume free speech only exists in the West led by America, what with fake news and massive propaganda in the mainstream media instead of true journalism, NSA and other surveillance of the populace, Google and Facebook censorship, politicians lying through their noses and serving their masters but not the people who elected them, the reality of racism though I admit, generally speaking, USA is the freest country in the world but how much free speech or free press or freedom of expression are there really when there is now even talk of the first amendment under threat ? There is more than meets the eye, the mind to be exact.

It amazes and saddens me that there are still some people around today harbouring the cold war mentality, not realizing by now that most of it are bullshit.

Back to the difference between connotations and denotations. Allow me to give a more clear-cut and less provocative example, the word "fat" and its connotation in society. How many women when told she is fat take it as a compliment or even shrug it off as nothing, knowing how sensitive the subject matter is ? Except for those 'fortunate' womenfolk who are born in Mauritania, Tahiti and Fiji islands, for example.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm no expert but if you'd allow me to express my layman understanding, I regard social science, such as sociology, politics and economics , as not really science in the best sense of the word simply because I believe human affairs are most difficult to study and predict. How often do so-called experts get their forecasting wrong? There are many famous , or should I say notorious,detailed and well-documented examples of epic failures. But because a few do get it right sometimes, nobody is going to stop making predictions as the unending demand for doing so is ever present and growing in the complex world we live in, eg the consumer market, the stock market, future trends in technology, business, policy-making, geopolitics.

As far as medicine is concerned , as I don't know much about it, I had better reserve my comment except to say I take it as part science, part art. Though I think psychology questionable as science, psychoanalysis even more so, I won't go so far as to say they are pseudoscience, just that they are more subjective than objective. Actually, I'm pretty curious and interested in the two subjects, approaching them with reservations and keeping in mind their limitations and shortcomings as I believe how good you are at them, as applied science, is a matter for each individual.

#10718 Justin L, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Rob3rt likes this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well the predictive powers of psychology are in fact limited, as we can't always see what people are hiding. It is, however, proven that psychology can help people that are struggling with aspects of their lives, and it's very helpful in criminology as well (the show 'Mind Hunter' is actually a fun, if probably wildly inaccurate depiction of that).
    Limitations in the application are certainly there, but its definitely more of a science than economics and the majority of sociology.
    Anyhow. I guess this is enough off-topic discussion from me for now :D

On a side note, I take offence at the USA being cited as leaders of the Western world, when they're a laughing stock in big parts of Europe for how they fail to recognize their/our part in global warming and climate change, their delusions about their inappropriate gun laws and their terrible candidates in the last election. Also they're starting to threaten free speech with those neo-liberal "there's more than 2 genders" morons somehow getting into positions of power at some universities/colleges and banning "offensive" language...
    The only thing the U.S. are leaders in is gun violence and numbers of mass shootings.

skhai91, samkool and Baddyforall like this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OK. We have had a few off topic comments where people have had their say. Let's get back to Lin Dan related posts.

Mod