Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. lurker

lurker Regular Member

well tht didn't happen tonight

2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    another problem/issue is the courts are moved before the 1/4's and again before the semi's. more calibration and testing would need to be done every time a court is moved, which means more labor cost also. the main tv court stays in place during the entire tournament.

Cheung, lippro and stanleyfm like this.
  3. lippro

lippro Regular Member

I've heard people say that unlike tennis hawkeye, which is fully autonomous, badminton hawkeye is basically some guys reviewing the slow-mo replay of a shot plus a bit of computerized guessing to determine if the shot is in/out. Do you have any insight as to whether this is the case? One thing I can see for sure is that badminton hawkeye is woefully inconsistent in its processing time, could that be due to the heavy involvement of the human factor?

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. That's true.

5. Master

Master Regular Member

The name of Hawk-Eye isn't just generic name, is a brand name. So, it's the same brand technology used in tennis.
    Don't be confusing with this Home Made version which is used also by BWF in 2012 before BWF finally used the real brand name Hawk-Eye.

Hawk-Eye's SMART Replay : https://www.hawkeyeinnovations.com/sports/badminton

We have been testing various systems and we have determined Hawk-Eye to be the most trusted and reliable option by which to track line-call challenges,” said BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund.

“As a brand, it has built a strong reputation and enjoys global recognition among other sports – and indeed among sports fans – as an accurate and highly innovative technology which adds value to the spectatorship of sporting events.”
    [Source]

Tennis has just started to try newer generation of this technology in this November. The name is Hawk-Eye Live.

If successful, these rule changes could be implemented at ATP tournaments from next year. [Source]

That's the way it worked. But don't you think it's the same thing used in tennis, before Hawk-Eye Live starting to be tried in this month?

lippro likes this.
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Really don't think that's the case, judging by LD's reaction.

Are you on crack? LD was already rich before his Yonex contract. He collects cars, for God's sake. I agree he's riding out his contract, but he's not playing to lose, either. He just getting old. Stop making ridiculous excuses.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I personally feel that if a correct call had been made at 16-16 in G2....Lin Dan would have won in two straight games.

Then again, an incorrect call at 14-14 in G3 swang the matter decisively in Shi YQ's favour. Your take, Sir?

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Oops..Wrong thread.

9. soami

soami Regular Member

You are on crack.
    Lin Dan is playing to lose. That is the only time he loses. He is foccussed on his singing career. That is where his mind is.
    Neither Shi Yuqi nor anyone else can match Lin Dan in skill.
    The match meant more to Shi Yuqi than to Lin Dan.
    You are a troll and a hater.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So Lin Dan lost in the Olympics because he wanted to. Sound reasoning. As is your argument that only because he is better than SYQ skillwise he has to win every time....completely ignoring the factors fitness and tactics. Bravo.
    Quote me one post where I actually say I hate anyone, or criticize without any valid reason whatsoever....I may not be completely objective at all times, but I am far from a hater. I actually argued strobgly in LD's favor in this thread, but you conveniently ignored that as well. Arguing must be easy if you completely disregard facts and reason.
    Also, I havent trolled you. Yet.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Now he is trolling here; saying LD play to lose, um what?
    What kind of player want to lose, even more so Lin Dan?

j4ckie likes this.
  12. soami

soami Regular Member

A player who has won everything there is to win.
    Thats who.
    A player who is sufficiently skillful to beat other non skillful players based on his superior skill.
    A player who is focused on his singing career and underwear business.
    It seems, you guys dont follow the discussions here, but have arrived recently to troll me only.

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I haven‘t really followed the whole singing contest as it‘s not really interesting to me what LD does besides his badminton, but can someone enlighten me why it‘s such a distraction for him? Wasn‘t it like one appearance? Doesn‘t he have managers who can do the rest? I don‘t get it...

14. soami

soami Regular Member

Because he lost. That is why.
    Otherwise he would have been the genius, who can sing, dance, sell underwears and win as well.
    Very simple onlee

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan is not a professional singer though he has always like singing since young and even dreamed of becoming one - and, throughout his badminton career, during training breaks he would be seen listening to music/songs on his earphone, usually his favourite idol, Jacky Cheung's - so in order to prepare for his debut live singing performance on Jiangsu TV beamed across China and elsewhere, he has to spend a lot of time practising and rehearsing. At least half his time , effort, and mind is on singing, how is that not a serious distraction to his badminton before and during the China and the HK Open.

Bear in mind, his first singing performance was on 19th Nov, Sunday, the final's day of the China Open, which gives me grounds to suspect he had no intention of getting into the CO Final if he could as he had to travel from Fuzhou to Jiangsu the same day and arrived there in the evening for the singing contest.

At the singing contest, he actually said that as he had already won all there is to be achieved in badminton, he hoped to try and wn a different kind of championship in singing, that showed how seriously he took the contest. With that kind of mentality, how could he or anyone else do equally well in both the demanding activities. Needless to say, it also affected his HK Open performance that followed the week after.

I mean, when he decided to sign up for the singing contest, he knew in advance the schedule, the date and time,which clashed with the China Open PSS and the HK Open SS following. Telling , isn't it ?

Rob3rt likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, after Lin Dan's debacle at the China Open in R1, he really wanted to make up for it by doing better at the HK Open and, perhaps, give us the much-awaited Lin - Lee clash, but Shi Yuqi spoilt it for him, so much so that he snubbed the media without obliging them with an interview as required by BWF and thus would be penalized with a fine.

So, in a sense, that match with Shi Yuqi meant a lot to him, as winning that match and setting up a Lin -Lee Dream match would've appeased most of the fans and Yonex. But I take it as an afterthought on his part, otherwise he wouldn't have joined the singing contest in the first place. That's why I felt that match victory meant more for SYQ than him.

With the benefit of hindsight, it seems to me that Lin Dan regarded his goals for 2017 as completed after the WC and the CNG, winning the MAS Open was a bonus, the rest of the year is just a formality despite the China Open being on home soil. It all boils down to his motivation or lack thereof.

Next year, he will begin anew. I believe, as most of you would, his goals for 2018 are the Nanjing World Championships and The Asian Games at Jakarta/Palembang, Indonesia. Let's hope for the best.

Abu Tanki and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Since Guangzhou Badminton Club has been kicked out of CBSL 2018-19.

Lin Dan would be the most sought after free agent in the CBSL auction.

But I have serious doubt whether he could match Tian Houwei's 100k USD income playing in Premier Badminton League of India.

Doubt anyone in China can.

#10697 Nine Tailed Fox, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  18. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

THW gets $1.05m from PBL? I can only find him bid for 58 lakh = 89k USD?

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Oops..I meant 100.5 k USD.

58 LAKH? I think 68 lakh.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, Tian Houwei going to play in the IND PBL , a one week tournament, and get paid a handsome USD100K ? Confirmed ? Any other CHN players participating ? Please cite your sources, if possible.