Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Would be lying to my soul if I don't admit that CHONG WEI is looking bulkier than ever. Must have worked his buttocks off all this time after French Open. His muscle definition is off the charts right now. Have never seen Chong Wei look bigger than he is looking at present. That physique should make Lin Dan feel inadequate.

Would also like the opinions of @Justin L, @lippro and @samkool on my astute observation.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

How the hell is this a "two-a-penny tournament"? :D I mean I understand youre trying to find a reason LD performed badly but the only reasonable explanation is...he couldnt do more. If that is due to age or lax training is anyone's guess, but it was not a lack of motivation at his home event for sure.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Wooosh

swsh likes this.
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    from what i've noticed the past year i see what you see. lcw has always had serious muscle definition but there seems to be a subtle increase of late. given his age a few ?'s come to mind...
    • reduction of fat? or
    • working harder in the gym? or
    • some sort of p.e.d.?
    working harder in the gym is risky and potentially self defeating. at his age physical recovery time from the extra stress is inconsistent. it could lead to a flame out, during any round, with no warning.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You forgot
    *increase in calories
    though ;)

6. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Well, that is what defines a champion like LCW, 35 years old, and arguably at his fittest ever. he is dedicated to continuous improvement, never letting himself drop. LD should use that as an example

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Not only that but Lee Chong Wei would also beat Lin Dan in a physical fight due to the added muscles he has developed after French Open 2017.

Now, Lee Chong Wei is the strongest of all Badminton players due to reasons mentioned by @samkool and no one can beat him in a fight.

Therefore, it is advisable for Lin Dan to not make LCW angry and escape the consequent beating.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Folks, expect Lin Dan to flop miserably again at Hong Kong Open. He has nothing to play for in Hong Kong and won't be going to Dubai SSF as he's definitely out of the running.

Not only that, the latest news is that Lin Dan signed up for a singing contest in a variety show, "Masked Singers, Guess, Guess,Guess",and sang his idol, Jacky Cheung's "别问"("Don't Ask").

What the heck, he's more interested in showbiz than badminton now, I fear. Read it from here http://sports.qq.com/a/20171120/026719.htm. Please don't ask me to translate the whole article, no mood for it

Just yesterday night , 19th Nov, he appeared wearing a mask, required of all contestants, and sang that song in honour of Jacky Cheung张学友 . You can watch the video here http://sports.qq.com/a/20171120/043307.htm (again, I'm not going to translate the whole article)

It's him, all right, he admitted it on his weibo sent via iPhone, Nov 19, 21:55 hrs:
    [​IMG]
    Lin Dan : " This time I signed up of my own accord to join the singing contest, " Masked Singer, Guess, Guess, Guess". Not my specialty so I was a bit nervous, hope everybody likes it. I am that "masked singers' loyal spectator" Youku Pure Joy edition "别问"("Don't Ask")"
    The lyrics of the song if you're interested https://mojim.com/cny100092x69x20.htm

According to the author, that's not the first time Lin Dan sang, in 2009 he sang at the CBA Spring Gala Night, mimicking Jay Chou playing the piano and singing 《世界末日》, The End of The World. Also he once sang for a certain sponsor's program, the song 《热力绽放》(Heat Bloom ?)

Rumours are rife on whether he's going to join the entertainment industry but the author said Lin Dan has sometime back expressed no interest in doing so, he's just having some fun. At the moment, he has no plans of leaving the badminton arena, even if he wants to make a switch, he might go into business in future, that's more likely the road he will take.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I expect Lin Dan to be unceremoniously bundled out in the opening round of the Hong Kong Open tomorrow as in the China Open last week. If not, he won't get past the QFs, I predict.:(

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Who‘s his first round opponent?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A qualifier, maybe Takuma Ueda or Pannawit Thongnuam or Suppanyu Avhingsanon

Rob3rt likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now we know why Lin Dan flopped in R1 of the China Open played on Wed 15th Nov as his mind was elsewhere having to practise and rehearse for the singing performance on Sunday 19th Nov. Heck.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i sense more pages of 'what-the-fans-want vs. what-lin-dan-wants' coming... :rolleyes:

DarkHiatus and stanleyfm like this.
  14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Oh maannnnnnn, he sings really wellllll! :eek::eek::eek:

15. skhai91

skhai91 Regular Member

Engineer
    I'll just casually leave this here...

Justin L likes this.
  16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I know this one, but I am not very impressed with it

First, it is a recording, he can do it multiple times and that is actually the norm in music recording
    Second, the song vocal part has much less change of note (slur) in a voice which really demands good control to do it without off tune

The mask man thingy was live and the song is more challenging with lots of change of notes and sustaining a note

17. skhai91

skhai91 Regular Member

Engineer
    I'll agree that even in the recording there's still a lot of room for improvement for his singing in terms of his vocal techniques, but he actually has a very nice voice and that was five years ago. From what we're seeing now, LD obviously enjoys singing and if he does it privately a lot in addition to making enough preparations with practice (which we see is a GREAT point in how he prepares of major tournaments), his live performance in the contest isn't too unbelievable!

Justin L and stanleyfm like this.
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

Xia Xuanze will shove that song down his throat if he loses in the first round again.

stanleyfm, skhai91 and visor like this.
  19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You think he‘s gonna pull a LCW and lose against a qualifier?

20. Nine Tailed Fox

You never know with this prima donna :p.

According to him, he struggled in his first round match in Tokyo against Sourabh Verma because he had one eye on Lee Dong Keun vs B Sai Praneeth match going on at Court 2.

samkool likes this.