Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan : Indians have progressed remarkably but China will be back

[​IMG]

Two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan feels that Indian badminton has progressed remarkably in the recent years but the Chinese will be back to dominate the shuttle sport in the coming years.

"In India, you see players like Saina and Srikanth, they have progressed very well. The youngsters are doing very well too," said Dan, a two-time Olympic Champion.

'Super Dan' believes that China will soon be back to being the best.

"Currently in China, young people are getting more involved in the sport. In high schools, they have their groups and all. Sooner or later (we will back to be where we were)," Dan replied when asked if the Chinese domination in the sport is on the wane.

Is there more variety in men's singles now and Dan answered: "Earlier, there was more variety, but the variety is growing".

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TOIDesktop

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Another Masterpiece from Shuttle Flash, this time for the Maestro himself

3. Nine Tailed Fox

I didn't realise Lin Dan was this good in 2017.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Since LOG'12 or, to be exact, in 2013 when he won his 5th WC, he already declared that his family comes first, not badminton. That's why, with Li Yongbo making an unprecedented exception for him and Li Ning willing to make concessions to him as well, Lin Dan was able to sign up a multi-million dollar 10-year contract with Yonex and followed by a series of product endorsements and even went into business eg coffee cafe, launching his own underwear brand, and now infant care product with his wife.

It's plain obvious he is making plans for his future retirement whilst continuing to do what he does best , that is play badminton, to fulfil his contractual obligations for he knows full well, and LYB has been drilling it into him, that he owes all that he is today to badminton.

In other words, Lin Dan these few years is doing only what is necessary to stay relevant, maintain his huge popularity and prolong his career by playing selectively in tournaments and winning the occasional titles to keep the excitement going as long as possible, all the time being careful not to wear himself out prematurely.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Goes without saying, just that he's not able to do it often enough. Shuttle Flash did a commendable job of compiling his best moments in 2017. Well done, Shuttle Flash, he's getting better and better at it.

stanleyfm and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Wasnt some of it from 2016? But yeah, mustve taken a bit of effort to find that many highlights of him

stanleyfm and samkool like this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

No, Nothing of 2016 mate.

Zero.

8. Master

Master Regular Member

Tang Xianhu & 90's phenomenon isn't make sense for being 16 y.o

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
  10. Master

Master Regular Member

@latecomer I got your point there. Sure.

Is there anything LD said about his upcoming tournament?

He met LCW in Mumbai and they got into a serious conversation likely

[​IMG]

11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    00:27 sent chills down my spine when I watched it first time around.

12. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Lin Dan has hunger like nobody else (Or at least he used to), it's his mental discipline and desire that makes him great. All the other players may have something special physically or skill wise compared to him, but in his prime, he would do anything to win, he was so competitive, and no one could beat him at the majors, where he refused to be beaten

13. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Y'all know how LD taps the backside of opponents with his racquet after every match?
    If you all watched that XD game with LD/PVS against LCW/SN, there's a moment where he almost tapped Sindhu's... and quickly realised. Almost :D

14. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Im not your normal 16 year old buddy. The 90's had a golden age for Indonesian men's singles with at least 6 players in the top 6 in the world (Ardy Wiranata, Joko Suprianto, Alan Budikusuma, Hendrawan, Heryanto Arbi Hermawan Susanto), and there may be guys that I haven't listed. Then when Tang went to China, players like LD, Bao Chunlai, Xia Xuanze started coming out. He does have something to do with the golden age in Chinese mens and women singles that was there before

Dont judge me for my age, judge me for my points and my knowledge, this should be a healthy discussion where irrelevant stuff like that shouldn't enter the conversation

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Nobody ever is :D
    But your point is indeed valid ;)

16. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

LOL, but then again, Im pretty sure Sindhu or any other badminton player would have been honoured to , LD's acknowledgement like that, it's not like he means anything wrong by doing it.

GingerCorslette likes this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Wang Yihan has recieved that treatment :D

18. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

I've seen this before, but I think I've only realised now that he tried to tap hers not just once :D

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Yep, You can't allow yourself to not shake hands with the GOAT. She deserved multiple taps :p:D. And guess what, Both of them proceeded to become the World Champions in London(this was a training session for WC.)

20. Nine Tailed Fox

You failed to counter any single of my points and then went on to write incorrect statements.

His Mental Discipline is very so-so. He has had many periods where he lost 6-7 points in a row. For instance, he lost a record 13 straight points against Qiao Bin this year and choked on a 15-8 lead losing 15-21.

It's not that he refused to be beaten. It's just he is technically and tactically so supreme that he punished your bang average game-plan and pace during crunch moments of Major Tournaments.

Yep, in his prime one of his traits were his mental strength during the end moments of a game/set. But Mental Strength just means not altering with your intended game plan and sticking to your strengths DURING the decisive moments.

Mental strength i will associate with Lin Dan.
    Mental Discipline i will associate with Lee Chong Wei.

Infact, Lin Dan has been a massive choker since 2015. So, he no longer enjoys that mental edge over his rivals and competitors.

I will show you examples if you give me a worthy reply.

#10300 Nine Tailed Fox, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    samkool likes this.