Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It used to be that way in 2016, but now it seems that he is just really defensive, he is dictating the rally, but it is much easier nowadays (Or he is much more willing nowadays) to simply let the other guy make mistakes, and it is why he is struggling against guys like Axelsen.

phbatra likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan turns to business leaving Badminton aside for a while

Wife Xie Xingfang launches new Infant care product brand ''DOREEN''. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

“杜芬”品牌概念:给宝宝最好的,也给自己最好的。
    The brand concept of DOREEN : Give the best to your babies, give the best to yourself too.

“杜芬”被分为两大系列:宝宝系列和妈妈系列
    DOREEN has two series: Doreen Baby and Doreen Mommy

Justin L likes this.
  3. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

To be honest, I don't like these business engagements too much because they seem to be taking away from his absolutely obsessive commitment to badminton, which he clearly had in the prime of his career up to London 2012. It doesn't mean an athlete doing business is bad. We see it with sportsmen like Basketball Player Lebron James, who run multi million dollar empires, along with pushing the boundaries of their sport every single day. However, I think in LD's case, it is taking away his absolute killer focus that used to be his hallmark

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Make a viable comparison. LeBron James makes more money than all badminton players combined, male and females.

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    so let me get this straight... you want ld to focus on badminton near the end of his career and forego more money than he would make if he won every ss/p tournament in a calendar year? hmmm... you're already the goat, but you should work harder now in order to make less $... hmmm...

tough choice, i know...

what would you do, anand?

skhai91 and swsh like this.
  6. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It is a viable comparison, LD makes more money than any of the badminton players (except LCW). Lebron runs multiple businesses just fine, because he doesn't let it spill into his sports life. It is an example for all athletes to follow, whether they make 100$ or 100000$. LD for some reason can't seem to do the same thing, even though he is a similar figure in his sport. If he wants the businesses, then he should be able to do so without interfering with his true obsessive focus. This reduced focus is the reason why he is losing

7. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It is a super easy choice. I would take the winning, I would continue to push my star even higher. Your brand is developed naturally when you win. Even bigger opportunities will come to me, provided I win and do my best. GOAT's are GOAT's because they are never satisfied, and it feels to me like on some deep level, LD is satisfied, which is why he is letting other things enter his life. That is why he is losing to players whom he has no business losing to on a very consistent basis. 99% of the players he loses to nowadays, he would beat handily in his prime, and I am convinced if he was just in 10% better physical shape {Which is very attainable if he focuses properly}, he would whitewash pretty much everyone. We have seen the stark differences that happen when he improves his physical shape a slight bit (Difference between 2015 LD and 2016 LD. Won more matches and had less bad losses in 2016 than 2015, where he was clearly physically out of shape. In much better shape in 2016, which is why he came so close to Olympic Gold. His physical shape has gone down in 2017, so he loses more matches now)

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    How much income an athlete makes has direct impact on how much time he can devote to training. It is navie to compare Lebron James and LD in financial term. Lebron is making more money playing one game of basketball than LD playing a whole year of badminton.

9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    nope.
    and herein lies the problem: you are confusing what you want with what lin dan wants.

remember, you are just the fan and lin dan is the athlete. :cool:

Master likes this.
  11. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

By the logic you guys are showing, all these top athletes would have slowed down by now, and just focused on earning more money simply because they can earn so much money. Your guy's logic is the more money you earn, the less they focus on the game, and more on the business. Now you are saying because Lebron earns so much, he can focus more on the game. He earns way more in endorsements and business than he does from his sport, a lot like LD actually. Does this mean that Lebron is greater than LD in terms of the sustained dedication to his craft? I would say yes.

12. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I thought you guys were actual Lin Dan fans. I mean aren't you guys tired of seeing him out of shape and losing to guys he has no business losing to. I mean seriously, if he was focusing on his badminton, he would be way more dominant. We saw it in 2016, when he shut down much of his business involvement for 2016, focused on his badminton, and he won three titles including All England leading up to the Olympics in very dominant fashion. Many of those embarrassing first round losses he was suffering in 2015 were erased. If he had started this focus earlier, in 2015(Where he seemed much more focused on his commercial involvements), I believe he would have won the olympics, because that is another year of focused training

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i am, but i am also in touch with reality.

your points of contention do not take anything related to athletic development and physiology into account. everything to you is black and white, so if i were to guess your age i'd put it at around 16-20... someone who has not lived through it.

stanleyfm and j4ckie like this.
  14. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

LOL, I actually am 16, never knew how you guessed :) But how many great athletes have defied physiology (And I honestly believe LD is one of those all-time great athletes that transcends his sport). Lebron James is still putting up hella high numbers and triple doubles in NBA Finals at the age of 32. Tom Brady just won the Super Bowl at age 39. Roger Federer in Tennis (Which is the most similar argument we can make compared to badminton) won two grand slams at age 36., including Wimbledon without dropping a set (First time that has happened since 1978!!). Nadal had a resurgence at age 31 and also won 2 grand slams, including what is considered the most physically demanding grand slam, the French Open, and I think he dropped like a set or two max. This all came for Fed and Nadal after a terrible 2016 where they won absolutely nothing, and everyone was writing them off as "done" I believe LD can do the same

You don't have to go down after the age of 30, if you really want it. It seems to me that LD is satisfied and he just wants to play for "fun" nowadays, which if that is the case, good for him, but it pains me as a fan to see him not doing everything possible to be his best (He is obviously physically nowhere near his best)

15. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Suddenly, everything being said making sense, from a 16 years old.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

I disagree,

Lin Dan doesn't have the Penetration of Axelsen.
    Lin Dan doesn't have the Speed and ruthlessness of Srikanth.
    Lin Dan doesn't have the Physicality of Lee Chong Wei
    Lin Dan doesn't have the defence of Son Wan Ho
    Lin Dan doesn't have the hunger of Chou Tien Chen.
    Lin Dan doesn't have the humbleness of Ng Ka Long.
    Lin Dan doesn't have the height of Chen Long.

Lin Dan is just an illusion.....He appears and disappears ....what to do?

samkool and stanleyfm like this.
  17. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Why not the height of Axelsen? he is taller than CL.

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Why not the height of Axelsen? he is taller than CL.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

I sort of paid a tribute to Chen Long by mentioning him in my list.

stanleyfm likes this.
  20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

that is why you have so much time to really get through and reply everything in this forum
    a luxury that I can't have, being a freshmen in the work life at the age of about a quarter century