Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Why is LD not in Odense?

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Celebrating one year anniversary of his sex scandal.

samkool and shreyas666 like this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ahem...nope, what I understand is that on Oct 14, he woke up and, when everyone he met that day would greet him happy birthday, it dawned on him that he was getting older, much to his consternation. Feeling down, he spent the day itself and the next few days 'celebrating' by indulging in eating and drinking with his loved ones,friends and teammates.

But fret not, he will get over it after a while, it's been like that since he turned 31 , we should expect him to show up at the French Open next week. Contrast this with when he first turned 18 as from then on he would be over the moon every year on his birthday and couldn't wait to conquer all the peaks available until there was no more left and had to settle for repeats, and even began to feel lonely being the only one at the pinnacle where none has gone before.

Now that he's gotten used to it and age is finally catching up, he's learned to let it go and simply enjoy himself, that's all.;):cool::p:D:)

4. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

So, he's with the team on Europe now but chose not to participate in this tournament?

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, from what I've gathered, he didn't join the team to Odense. No idea if he would withdraw from the French Open as well. As it is, he will be penalized USD5K for skipping the DEN Open PSS as he is WR3, well within the top 8/10. I guess he has his reasons for doing that, USD5K isn't small change.

#10245 Justin L, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Wow, Then that is stupid from Super Dan.

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    bwf does not charge the player. they charge the nat'l association.

the ?'n is, justin, will cba make lin dan reimburse cba?

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Badminton supremo Lin Dan is in great danger of missing out on Destination Dubai Qualifying ticket

[​IMG]

Aventus likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan almost out of Dubai SSF as he has withdrawn from prestigious French Open.

Ng Ka Long Angus (Ranked 8) and Wing Wong Wing Ki Vincent(Ranked 7) playing the tournament wholeheartedly.

*Destination Dubai Rankings.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD is probably feeling pain somewhere and does not tell the media. He has to be careful with injury, at his age it does not repair so easily

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Never thought I'd see the day where either of them would be at the SS Finals :D

12. Nine Tailed Fox

I mean the 2nd Best Player of the World will not be present at the Destination Dubai because he missed two tournaments due to high fever.

BWF World Championships points are not counted towards this ranking. I mean it's like Wimbledon points are not counted towards Barclays ATP World Tour Finals ranking, is that even remotely possible? No! Never will be.

The World Championships shows who are The Greatest Players in the World but DD SSF turns a blind eye to this prestigious litmus test.

I won't be able to watch my favourite player because of this.

13. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Dubai Superseries is all about consistency over the year in superseries events. The Worlds is the big event in badminton, but it is not part of the superseries tour. LD is a former champion of the event, and probably the GOAT, but if he does not take the efforts to perform to the required level throughout the year (Which he clearly hasn't judging by the fact he has only won one superseries title, and is almost a non-existent factor in superseries nowadays), then he shouldn't play, and the chance should be given to players who grinded week in week out at the superseries. The players who get in deserve that spot, they put in the work over the year. If LD didn't do that, then he shouldn't get to play, simple as that

j4ckie and stanleyfm like this.
  14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I agree with this.
    I see SSF and SS as the arena where people try to find the most consistent players in the year,
    while WC is trying to find the best strongest player if they peak.
    I accept this difference and that is why,
    I see SSF as an extra playground of the top players to showcase badminton and enjoy their achievement 1 last time before holiday.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Lin Dan never regarded the SSF as that important, unlike the WC where for this year's edition he originally was out of the running for a place but he still made a last-ditch effort by playing several tournaments in a row to qualify at the eleventh hour.

But that may change next year as BWF has elevated the SSF to Grade 2 Level 1 event in the revamped tournament structure.

The worry is , time is not on Lin Dan's side, he'll be 35 years old next year, and he's been very selective in the tournaments he plays these few years, aiming to peak just once or twice a year so as to prolong his career and avoid injury at the same time.

Anyway, he can well afford to do so, a luxury few enjoy. I feel LCW should follow suit.

16. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

If LD wants to continue to be world class until Tokyo 2020, as he has stated he wants to do, he has to manage his tournament schedule very well, and do well in the few tournaments that he does enter, so as to be able to perform at his best in the big ones. if he follows this, way who is to say that we won't have a 6 time world champ next year :) the same advice applies to LCW. I feel one of the major reasons he was never able to win the big ones in his prime is that before the Worlds/Olympics, he played and won so many events, that he was a bit tired after eight months of competing week in and week out, while LD, at the very height of the LD/LCW rivalry from 2011-2016, played noticeably less, even taking 7-8 month long rest breaks, and so he was fresher coming in. I think that extra bit of freshness that LD or CL had leading up to the Worlds that they beat LCW in is what cost LCW in the final crucial moments. He always seemed a bit physically jaded by the time he got to the final. Nowadays, no way I see him playing that many tournaments and even getting close to competing with the younger players, his stamina and recovery is nowhere near where it used to be (Still higher than pretty much every other player), and he and LD need to conserve themselves

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Xiao Yu has challenged Lin Dan to a best of three. Lin Dan is known as the GOAT but Xiao Yu said he doesn't care.

[​IMG]

visor and Justin L like this.
  18. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    in my respond to one of the member in here, about why WSX lose to CYF in CNG, I already say one of the reason, WSX was ABSENT TOO LONG.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...fications-finals-october-24-29.173997/page-31

long break is not good for your performance.
    even 3 months is TOO MUCH, not to say about 7 - 8 months.

China players never absent for more than 2 months before major event.

in between of Thomas Cup 2008 and Beijing Olympics 2008, they participate in Thailand Open, not a SS event.
    several times they take part in Singapore and INA open in June, which makes them only less than 2 months to prepare.
    for 2010 edition, they have their own badminton league in between TC 2010 and WC 2010.

in 2011 and 2012 when LD wins WC and OG, he was world number 2, means he take part in more tournament.

only in 2013 edition he take a long break, but still able to win the world title, because LD indeed a very special player.

absent too long is not good.
    look at LCW after doping suspension, and Momota after gambling incident.
    they was absent for more than 6 months.

LCW suffer an early exit in 2 or 3 events, even he lose in Korea Open 2015 qualification round to Kwang Hee Heo
    http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/play...=tournament-results&year=2015#tournament-2282

believe me, absent for 7 - 8 months and then finally win the major title is only happened once.

LD was absent from 2014 WC.
    but in 2015, 2016 and 2017, LD always take part Indonesia / Australia SS in June, even Chinese Taipei open in July

https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...123F-AA87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&q=50906&id=2

is this the reason why he lose in WC and OG from 2015 ?
    absolutely no.
    he lose because other player perform better than him, and not because of the long break issue

Justin L likes this.
  19. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Well, of course, we see every time that LD takes a break he loses something in physicality, reflexes, whatever, those breaks take something important out of him, but they are probably the only reason why he is still here. He used to play a very physically demanding play style, those breaks are necessary, and he actually has a more physically demanding play style now (It may not look that way, be he is quite defensive, and defensive styles are physically taxing). Those long breaks are necessary for him to be injury free. Maybe they dont need to be quite so long though, but don't be surprised if he takes another one

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Lin Dans new play style is definitely less taxing than his natural, aggressive one. Apart from him not being able to play that way anymore, lacking the speed by now, he is actually conserving his energy by making his opponent move more than him, controlling moat rallies. It's not aggressive, but neither is it defensive as he indeed manages to control most rallies. He rarely just keeps on lifting high and defending.
    He's also cut down on jump smashes, which is probably the most physically demanding single shot.

Justin L likes this.