Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. soami

soami Regular Member

Shi Yuqi is a very good player. His problem against srikanth was tactical. He could ve played better n easily fought out harder.
    The Chinese coaches aren't doing as good a job these days as the Danes or others.
    They get their boys to work their asses off n expect that it will get victory .
    Now that everyone is Superfit more tactical awareness is needed.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Imho, Shi Yuqi's game is more like Chen Long's and Son Wan Ho's but physically not as strong yet nor as experienced. He basically plays mostly textbook shots, not creative, nor deceptive, simple, straightforward, few easy errors, relatively calm and steady but mentally not very tough.

No doubt, Shi Yuqi is a talent, and at 21 years of age, I'd like to see him transform his game to a more attacking and deceptive one, more proactive and forceful, more injection of pace, aggressive. It's possible, remember how Sun Jun and Dong Jiong transformed into a different kind of player, the opposite of what they were originally. But, first, I feel , he has to build up his physicality if he is to play like Chen Long.

3. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    No body should be taught to play like Chen Long.

Shi Yuqi is very single dimensional.
    He needs to first do this:
    1. Build some physical strength, and endurance. Put up some mass. He looks physically weaker even compared to Lin Dan.
    2. Be very good at basic game like Chen Long and Lin Dan.
    3. Then start to train on deceptions, tactical awareness, and mental strength.

In fact, now that I think of it, China's younger generation is barren of top players.

In 30+, CHN had Lin Dan, Chen Jin, and others.

In 26-30, CHN had Chen Long.

But CHN doesn't really have a world beater in the younger age group. Viktor Axelsen is only 24, AND a world champion.

4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

SY is performing very well for his age.

It's always good to check if you have anyone at the same age or younger ranked above you? If not, you have all the chances in the world to make it to the top.

Antonsen is also one of the best ranked for his age. They could end up getting tired of each other's company in years from now, when they have squared of in 15+ SS finals and semis. :)

Cheers,
    FB

5. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    I don't think so really.

Shi Yuqi is already 22, and his game is not showing any hallmarks of a Champion.

Compared to that, Lin Dan had already become world rank 1 at the tender age of 20. He also started winning regularly on the big circuit by the age of 20. He won his first silver at world championships in 2005 in Anaheim, at the age of 21.

If China is looking for the next Lin Dan or even the next Chen Long, then Shi Yuqi is already late. (Chen Long won an Olympic Bronze at just 22-23, and became China's #2 among a very competitive field).

Shi Yuqi right now seems more on the path of Tian Houwei or Wang Zhengming, or Du Pengyu than being on the path of Chen Long or Lin Dan.

6. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    i agree with you. He doesnt have smashes to punish nor different gears which can surprise his opponents. Not good enough I am afraid.

7. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student

Yeah, by age 20 Lin Dan had already become WR1, and started winning regularly in big events. He won, 4-5 titles in 2004 (at age 20 alone).

Similarly, Chen Long by age 20-21 had already become a regular feature on top of podiums. He won his Olympic Bronze at 23, when he was clearly the 3rd best player in the world.

Compared to that Shi Yuqi is very behind.

Don't you agree @Justin L

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

What they offer as salary for these players apart from prize money?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, for now, but I'd give Shi Yuqi more time, he might well transform his game or make a breakthrough.

10. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Right now, since last year, his game has in fact gone down not up.

He has been loosing tamely to top 10 players now for some time.

11. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Also, I think he needs better coaches.

Somehow CHN team, in 2010 or so, suddenly went against the philosophy of aggression, attack, and speed, and started hiring coaches like Chen Jin and Xia Xuanze who focus more on continuous running and retrieving, patience, etc.

This tactic (introduced primarily in singles) is not working.

12. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I agree with you on the coaching styles. They concentrate too much on defence ala Chen Long. All the best players have a punishing attacking game when needed. I hope the 15 to 17 year olds are not going to be ciached in this way. For one its so boring and unexciting.

13. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    You guys seem really quick to write off Shi Yuqi's hopes of being a champion. You might well be right, but some players only find the last pieces of the puzzle later in their careers than others. He's only 21 and has a Super Series title to his name. What had Viktor Axelsen, the world champion, achieved at that point?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

#93 Abu Tanki, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    FeatherBlaster likes this.
  14. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Also look at how Srikanth dropped off for a couple of years after he first broke through to the top.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's a good point.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Srikanth Kidambi has usurped Shi Yuqi as the 4th Best Player in the world.

[​IMG]

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If Shi Yuqi's match with Srikanth yesterday at the French Open QFs is any indication, SYQ demonstrated in G1 and G2 that's how he should play KS,or anybody for that matter. In G1, SYQ actually outplayed KS completely to score a resounding 21-8 victory, with sharp, forceful attacks, down-the-line, x-court and body smashes as well as disguised drop shots to bamboozle his opponent.

G3 for SYQ was a bummer after losing G2 narrowly at 19-all with two unforced errors, one smashed wide, another shot netted, he was a pale shadow of himself in the decider, lost his way. Incidentally, G2 was more evenly matched.

I attribute the defeat (or , should I say,near miss) more to SYQ's lack of mental toughness and partially to his inexperience. Specifically, his tenacity, determination, and willpower are wanting; generally, his fighting spirit is not strong enough.

That match has some resemblance with his previous loss to LCW at the JPN Open where SYQ was leading in G1 , at one stage, 11-4, 15-9, 17-11, then 17-16, 18-16, and fell behind 18-19, leveled at 19-all and went on to lose the next two points, 19-21 and the game. In the 2nd set , he was totally out of the it as if failing to close out G1 unsettled him so much that he simply lost all confidence and belief that he stood any chance of winning.

IMHO, the CHN coaches need to work a bit more on the mental aspects of his game. Technique-wise,he's improved considerably and acquired the ability to play a fast attacking game coupled with remarkable defence and counterattack.

We might see Shi Yuqi making another breakthrough next year, hopefully.

#97 Justin L, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Abu Tanki likes this.
  18. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

In his development as a player,i have a different view....

The coaches know that this player is an attacking player who uses movement pressure as his primary attacking weapon....to disturb the base position of the opponent.

The chinese coaches purposely let him focus on the defensive aspects in match conditions for a year or so
    to improve his defenses.
    Now the coaches have let him come back to his primary weapons.

His rearcourt game is phenomenal...with deceptive drops and changes in direction of the smash.He is very agile too.This allows him to play an attacking game with flat clears and cross netshots etc and set points up effectively.
    This game is very similar to how his coach played.

His weaknesses include his still- developing defence and his netgame.His smash can also use more power.

These were great tactics against KS.However KS was told by his coaches to 'push the base' forward by the coaches at the end of G1.Thus KS kinda controlled more of the net and shifting his base kinda allowed him to return those deceptive drops and did not give SYQ the lifts he needs to execute his rearcourt skills.SYQ tried to force KS back with clears and some smashes but was only partially effective.Imo G2 was one of the best games this year.

The development of this 21 yr old is just fine.He will be a huge prospect for China in the big games and SS if he works a bit more on his weaknesses.

19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

In fact, for the past few months, srikanth has become a slow starter. He plays as if he wanted to play rallies . In the second game, he still plays a patient game. And then in the third, full aggression. He showed it against players like Victor before. He showed it with Prannoy as well in the semi-finals of French open.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

20. trackwhack

trackwhack Regular Member

Of course, it has nothing to do with the FACT that SK is the top dog in Badminton atm.:D. Chinese fanboys need to get a life.