Nozomi Okuhara ( 奥原希望 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

It's likely will happen in next week Korea SS

TTY as first seeded player along together with PV Sindhu [5], Sung Ji Hyun [3] and He Bingjiao [6] in upper half, will meet either
    Nozomi Okuhara [8] / Carolina Marin [4] / Ratchanok Intanon [7] / Akane Yamaguchi [2]

#241 Master, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

It must be so disheartening to become a WS player at the moment.

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

So many mind-numbing names in WS
    Maybe the winning pricing allocation should be calculated based on the competition as well

4. Master

Master Regular Member

73 shots in WS would be the longest rally

Okuhara Prevails in Epic - Singles Finals: TOTAL BWF World Championships 2017

Okuhara's achievement was rarer, for she became Japan's first-ever Women's Singles World champion by beating India's Pusarla V Sindhu 21-19 20-22 22-20.

In decades to come, the Women's Singles final will be talked of in mythic terms as the gold standard - the prime example of all that badminton stands for. At the end of 110 minutes - the second longest Women's Singles match ever - every sinew of the two gladiators had been stretched; every drop of sweat shed. Thankfully, there was no blood.

It was a miracle that Nozomi Okuhara and Pusarla V Sindhu could stand upright on the podium at the end of it all, for the match had been an ultramarathon in which all the abilities had been tested. By the third game, each punishing the other by sending the shuttle to the farthest corners, forcing twists, turns, lunges and dives, the two players often doubled over at the end of each rally, seemingly unable to continue. And yet they picked themselves up and continued in the same vein until the next point was won or lost.

"When I saw the time, it was over an hour, and I thought ‘Oh my god, where is it going?'" Okuhara was to say later. "I was in a different world. I told myself to enjoy the moment. I saw she was tired too, so I believed I had the advantage."

Okuhara came prepared for the bigger weapons that Pusarla possessed. The Indian knew she had to avoid the rallies that Okuhara is feared for, but in seeking to keep the points short, Pusarla sacrificed rhythm. For much of the opening game, it was Okuhara who set the tempo. Seven straight points helped her take the game.

The second was close all the way; Okuhara saved three game points to level at 20 before her opponent won the game after a 73-shot rally that won a standing ovation.

That set the stage for a magnificent third game, in which both contestants challenged the limits of the other's physical and mental endurance. Each point was won through tremendous athleticism, craft and patience. Pusarla could glimpse daylight at 19-17.

The Indian was a whisker away from the title, but Okuhara, refusing to play safe, and still pushing the pace, finally conjured an immaculate drop shot that stayed beyond the desperate lunge of the Indian.

It had been 110 minutes of the highest quality. The match fell a minute short of the longest Women's Singles contest ever - Okuhara versus Wang Shixian (China) at the Malaysia Open in 2015.

"I'm very happy and very tired," said Okuhara. "I could hear the fans supporting me and that inspired me."

The loss to Pusarla in the Rio Olympics semi-finals had prepared her for the tall Indian's attack.

"When I look back at the Olympics, I regret that I didn't use the forecourt well enough against Sindhu. Today I was alert for her forecourt shots, and I was covering the front and back quite well... I'm happy that this result sends a good message for Japanese sport."

Her opponent said she'd given it her all: "It was anybody's game. It's upsetting to lose, but you can't say anything at the end of such a match. It was never over from both sides. The third game went to 20-all. Every point was tough and we were both not letting go. Obviously anybody would aim for a gold because this is the final of the World Championships, but that last moment changed everything."

http://bwfworldchampionships.com/ne...les-finals-total-bwf-world-championships-2017

Badminton: Women's doubles match creates record for longest tie

Earlier, Peter Rasmussen of Denmark and China's Sun Jun held the world record for the longest match of 124 minutes in the men's singles.

Another epic match was held in the 1983 Copenhagen World Championships men's singles final between two Indonesian shuttlers -- Icuk Sugiarto and Liem Swie King -- which lasted for 100 minutes. Sugiarto edged out King 18-17 in the third game to win the title.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...cord-for-longest-tie/articleshow/52070193.cms

5. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Hey guys... I`m very curious to know what Nozomi would say or do before each game....do you know?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm interested too, in whether it's simply religious (Taoist/Buddhist?) or some psychological mantra she repeats to focus herself.

7. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    I heard 2 times that Gillian in her commentary said that she is reviewing the coaches comments etc....

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

That's what I heard from Gill in the commentary. But I am just not sure if it really is that, because it seems quite intense than just a reminder of the strategy

mobin2012 likes this.
  9. Master

Master Regular Member

It's not only her saying but also it related with her ritual giving head down to the 4 directions. Religion in Japan is dominated by Shinto.
    Okuhara praying seems to be.

I think Okuhara aren't repeating the coaches. That assumption are only logical guessing.

If you notice other JPN players other than Okuhara, they exactly do the same ritual with giving head down into the court when interval, end games and end match (but they do it not so obvious like Okuhara do).

My observation result:
    - Okuhara doing the head down before she entering the court and before she leaving the court.
    (It repeated several times: the match beginning, interval and post interval, each game starting and ending.)
    - She speaks some praying to gods inside the court then followed by giving head down into the court and then she's entering the court.
    - When she's leaving the court (interval, ending of each game), she's only giving head down into the court.
    - She's giving head down into four directions when starting the match and when the match is over.

#249 Master, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    stanleyfm, mobin2012 and visor like this.
  10. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    I've tried to upload the final match in HD60fps, if you're interested there's the link :

The other game links are in the description.

(note that 82 countries are currently blocked from viewing it and the files are invisible from my upload list)

Mate and Cunning Linguist like this.
  11. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

hai all,
    anybody knows the development on Nozomi's knee injury that forced her to withdrew during Japan Open?
    Does she also cancelled her participation in Denmark open? Her personal website shows empty schedule for this month
    http://nozomi-okuhara.com/schedule/

12. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Reported to have fluid in her right knee (knee bursitis). Lin Dan had a similar injury in 2014. Depending on the severity of the injury, we could see her out of action for 1-6 months. It's a shame because she's an amazing player to watch, but her tournaments this year were outrageously tiring (Marin + Sindhu wombo combo).

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  13. Master

Master Regular Member

She's just withdrawn from French SS.

yf19-sama and stanleyfm like this.
  14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Thanksss, just when her ranking starts to go up
    :eek::(:( :'(

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Recovering from injury more important than ranking. Unfortunate timing but she is still World Champion.

16. raymond8

raymond8 Regular Member

Manager
    I hope she can attend Hong Kong Open this year, last year she missed it also due to injury......

17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yeah that is right, but it is just that having higher ranking will also prevent her from meeting tough opponents since the beginning of a tournament and also decreases the possibility to get injured, especially with her style. If just she does not get this injury, the increase of her rank may help her in the future tournaments to have less tiring matches like against Marin in WC, Sindhu in Japan, and other previous tourneys. Now she will have to go through that again if the injury at least needs 4 months to recover :(

18. Master

Master Regular Member

Badminton Unlimited 2017 | Episode 196 : Nozomi Okuhara’s World Championships 2017

In Glasgow, Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara and Pusarla V Sindhu of India dazzled with their craftiness and artistry in a fascinating performance that lasted close to 2 hours.

Aventus, ant01, samkool and 3 others like this.
  19. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

What an amazing video!

20. _lightson_

_lightson_ New Member

Does anybody know which string and tension nozomi and pusarla are using in the world championship final 2017?

mobin2012 likes this.