Daihatsu YONEX Japan OPEN 2017 Badminton Championships

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Sep 17, 2017.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

This was commented by Steen of Frost, I con't remind which one, during a match. You need a certain thousands hours of training to reach your peak level - something like 6000 hours - studies said, and CHN players reach that level at around 22 years, while DEN players reach this at about 26 years. They start serious training more late, and training method is different.
    Thus normally CHN players would tired out younger.
    Another aspect is that CHN players live like young students in dorms at the training center. This kind of life suit some but is a bore for others. At a certain age, when you wish to marry and have a more private life, it is quite an incentive to call it off.
    Moreover, I would think that today's badminton involve more tourneys, more travelling, more every thing.

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

What? Hong Wei just retired?? Is he marrying Zhou Yun Lei? I think there is no Asian MD pairs can defeat Kevin/Marcus now. They can go in to Denmark SSP and win again if they want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Danish players start serious pro training usually at 16 or so. Or even a bit later.

Peter Gade (I think) and Viktor Axelsen are two exceptions who decided to turn pro at an earlier age.

It also shows in their relative retirement age

4. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

They will undergo different physical examinations to determinate if it's secure to set the young athlete into a full daily training program, that's differ from person to person, but normally from and age of 16-18 year the back-spine etc. is ready for hard intensive training. But there is other aspects which can't be ignored,, now a day most all athletes will be connected to a sports psychologist. In our eager to produce top athletes we forget the human behind, a young person, who want to have a happy carefree life, just like all their friends, everything should be balancing to keep up the motivation for years ! Not that easy to produce long lasting talent on assembly line.

5. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

LCW and LD era has ended. VA has beaten the two. LCW and LD may still play but they are not the exciting force anymore. Still around to tease us old fans reminiscing their bygone eras. LCW in JO 2017 85% of LCW in 2010-2014. He did not play a fast pace and power with VA. AT 35 he cant do that anymore. The amount of long rallies in the final is unheard of during LCW's peak. LCW showed he could still put on a bit of gas like the end of the 2nd and 3rd set. He could only use it at the end. through out the match he was just chilling. Had he played at fast pace and power at the beginning he would have lost in two sets. From now we must get used to see him in selected finals probably 3 a year. Early round exits is the norm for him now. Having said that , young players still havent got a clue how to play him as many still cant completely dominate the old man like when VA thought he had the 2nd Set leading by 4 points at 17-13.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It was 18-14 in the 2nd game.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I started to watch some matches of the JO. A bit late but I don't mind looking at replays.

But it is unwatchable. I don't know how you do it guys. The view is from so far away we have no idea of the shuttle trajectory. The lightning is horrendous.

Badminton is condemned to remain second-rate sports if broadcasting is of such a low quality. I love badminton, I am a fan, and I cannot stand the watch for a high-quality MS final. Totally useless BWF.

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Japan , korea and india all the three has bad lighting

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree, the angle wasn't good.

10. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

BWF need to ask BBC to manage that part/ All England-Glasgow was amazing produced.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it's amazing what having more money can accomplish.:D

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Korea is the worst. The glare reflection from the Victor matt was distracting. thanks

13. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Thought LCW played well on the whole and tactics spot on but a bit lacking in confidence. VA show sone weakness at net and tight drops but his smash is getting him out of jail. I am sure we will see more ingenious tactics over the next few months. Interesting to see what LD will have for him next time they play. Momota still looks some way off.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Sorry to fast out, explanation :)
    More a claim and an appeal in same time aimed towards Denmark open 16 and soon 17.. 16 were IMO to conservative and lacked inspiration in the production, for instance the static 9 o' clock camera set up, combined with poor recorded sound from the court, with dull foot and racket sound, gave a feeling, this wasn't a fast and intense sport > for the unaware of-course. What could be refreshing to see, a whole new approach from the production where the TV-Producers in bold actions invite the viewer on-court in swift camera-shift so viewers can sense the speed and pressure the combatants battle under,, close up faces, so viewers can identify and sense the player etc..... A production team will under certain condition's be scared for drop out, and all kind of unthinkable technical errors on a live events, but that's why we have a static set-up to take over, and a Top notch TV-producer to push on button 1,, and when everything stream flawless the producer can Juggle around with the cameras as he was the third part of the match..

There's a-lot talk about the undergoing generation shift in the sport, so it's might time to a larger revision or reality check, a look into the regime the production teams continuously doing well and what could be done more inspiring, IMO if the present conservative production set up just continue, as everything is just fine, because it was last year, it will be a tough task to lure a new viral generation to the media's and further to the court.
    Last day I watched the old 97 Peter Rasmussen- Sun Jun Video,, incredible how little had changed in those 20 years, equipment nowadays are with no comparison much much better

#1174 Petersen, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    ainchekar, Cheung and renbo like this.
  15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Very true! Nonetheless, I think the broadcast of Den Open is the best!

16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

How about French Open, that is the worst in my opinion, camera looks like are at the top of the building.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Can't agree anymore, camera angles and quality wise France is second to none, I hardly watch any match before the Finals.

But this year Korea set new standards, the glare from the mats, the dull audience, comparatively weak lineup, nothing was good about the tourney.
    Japan wasn't far behind either, esp after watching the WC and the deluxe treatment Glasgow gave us.

Desperately waiting for Den and CHN PSS and maybe the WJC

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

*Top of Eiffel tower.

lippro likes this.
  19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

That actually means France was the best, which I assume is not what you intended.

20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Ahhahaha I knew somebody will mention it, well since we were talking about how bad they can organise it, they are certainly second to none.