Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    See, I was the one who rejected all the excuses.

BUT, China National Games are still very competitive. 5 of the top 10 players in the world are Chinese. (One is from Hong Kong, and Hong Kong takes part in China National Games)

So, half of the top 10 is already playing in the games. Apart from that there are some very good players who don't get international exposure since China doesn't send many players out, or they retire. For example, players like Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming are world class players and still young, who would have not retired from ANY other team than China.

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

So, nobody should respond to such a hypothetical boasting.
    Quitting here. I don't wanna respond further.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

3. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Absolutely.

And the excuses are just silly.

But, in table tennis, China National Games are tougher than the Olympics. And pretty much the whole world recognizes that.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Your third reason is similar to what somebody once said and insisted it's true when LCW lost in the QFs to Taufik at the Paris 2010 WC where Lin Dan also lost his QFs match to Park Sung Hwan after LCW's. I find that hard to believe, nor acceptable. Lin Dan is playing not only for himself,he also has to answer to CBA.

The Chinese National Games is very important, a quadrennial event billed as China's mini Olympics, but the World Championships is equally important,I think.

Your second reason is speculative, sounds like a conspiracy but at China's expense, I don't know what to make of it. Chen Long's loss to VA is inexplicable, he went down tamely (alright,maybe a bit suspicious but still not convincing); Lin Dan was obviously physically stretched and at his age of 34 is understandable.

The only thing I agree is that the Glasgow WC is held just the week before the two-week CNG, and with jetlag, the CHN players, esp those who are aiming for the world title, really have to plan and strategize such that they can handle three consecutive weeks of top level competition. For Lin Dan and Chen Long, they are obviously and certainly going for both the WC and the CNG team and individual titles. Clearly, Lin Dan's task is much harder given his age and physical conditioning.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Undeniably,three consecutive weeks of top level badminton and having to deal with jetlag at the same time is no joke. The pressure, both physical and mental, are substantial.

Li Xuerui is very realistic, she knows she had to choose between the WC and the CNG and picked the latter; so for her the CNG is more important. Somewhat similar to Tai Tzu Ying picking the Universiade over the WC which ,however, in my opinion, is incomprehensible; the two events are just no comparable. Who will ever remember TTY won the Universiade in future, but the WC,definitely, if she had won it just once.

#9745 Justin L, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One thing we mustn't overlook or deny is the fact that the timing of the Glasgow World championships and the Chinese National Games couldn't have come at a worse time - three consecutive weeks of intense badminton, with jetlag in between, is practically to or beyond the limit of any athlete, the more so for a 34-year-old veteran who actually went through six rounds at the WC and then immediately grappled with jetlag on the way back home to delve into another five rounds of the CNG team event beginning on the 3rd day, 30th Aug, till Sunday, 3rd September, and straightaway followed by possibly non-stop another five rounds of the individual event from Monday,4th Sep to Friday, 8th Sep. Just incredible.

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    she will, and her country will. that's all that matters to her.

"nation before self..."

you have stated as much when it involves team china.

8. LawrenceYONG

LawrenceYONG Regular Member

Pro
    with lin dan's status now, he gains certain status and privilege when dealing with cba.
    anyway, the fact of the matter is, the national games is more important and world championships is just a nuisance.
    it lost its prestige when bwf decided to organize it yearly, making it just another tournament in the calendar.

and it's quite clear, va's victory is so hollow and handed over to him by team china as the 'best of the rest'.

9. Baddyforall

VA simply Owned Chen Long and Ousted Lindan in the finals in straight games. Reasons won't matters anymore. Whole world watched the Semifinals and Finals. Infact Chen Long was clueless what to do against him. Cheers.

samkool, nokh88 and dave010 like this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

17 Year old Lin Dan

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

While there is some truth to Lin Dan having his way, being a maverick, very much his own man, doing what he thinks is best for himself and the nation, the WC is never a nuisance. He won the WC 5 times and it's one of the majors, the most coveted title, that defines his greatness, together with the OG, and to a lesser extent, the AG, all the prestigious PSS/SS titles, and for CHN, the team majors as well, viz. Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your final claim, it's too far-fetched to me, Lin Dan's loss in the final is understandable for reasons we all know, though Chen Long's summary defeat to VA still baffled me as he seemed virtually unstoppable before that, maybe it's just one of those days where he wasn't himself , just like what happened to him before against K Tago at the 2014 Thomas Cup and Son WH at the Incheon Asian Games Team Event, simply unrecognisable.

Despite the WC becoming an annual affair, it's still the tournament every player prepares their best for and want to win more than any other title of the year, apart from the quadrennial Olympics.

j4ckie likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, bid deal, only her and Chinese Taipei or Taiwan, for that matter. I heard that she was heavily criticized back home by one of their famous sports commentator and news presenter for that misguided decision.

Imho, she got her priorities wrong, and,if it's for patriotic reasons, then it's misplaced. Name me one person who would rather be known as the Universiade champion than the World Champion. Besides, being the WC will bring much greater honour to her 'country' than the Universiade champion, their relative weight and value are simply not in the same league.

What " nation before self" ( aside from the fact that Taiwan is not a sovereign nation) ? Did Team China forgo the WC for the Universiade ? Where's the logic ?

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Really? A famous sports commentator scolded Tai Tzu Ying for playing against U-14's back in Taiwan instead of PRESTIGIOUS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS . Wow!

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, the famous TV host Luo You Zhi mocked her for " wasting time" playing the Universiade instead of the WC.

Btw, The Universiade is an international multi-sport event, organized for university athletes by the International University Sports Federation (FISU). The name is a combination of the words "University" and "olympiad". - wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universiade

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  15. Baddyforall

It's unfortunate that she decided to skip WC b'coz of various reasons concerned. But even if she participates, there is no guarantee that she will win gold. WC is different thing altogether. Even though she is talented, she could not get a medal in big events (For her experience , 7 or 8 years). It is so tough to get a medal there. I think she deserves a medal . Hope she earns it next year.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    The Republic of China was founded in 1912, which overthrew the Qing Dynasty.

There are now 23 million people living on Taiwan. Almost all of them regards Republic of China as a sovereign nation. It is currently recognized internationally by around 20 other nations.

The countries in green have official diplomatic relations with Taiwan while the ones in blue have unofficial relations.

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Taiwan

#9756 pcll99, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    dave010 likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course, nothing is guaranteed in life, But if she played at the Worlds, she had a 70% chance of entering the final and at least 60% probability of winning gold; proceeding to the semis is more or less assured, so guaranteed a bronze medal.

You know, according to the Japanese press, Nozomi at the post-match conference actually admitted, modestly: " I'm not the true world champion !"
    http://www.aiyuke.com/news/2017/08/na41288fb8ed.html?1504159022.html

She further said:" I'm still not the true world number one !", adding," Not all the world's strongest players participated, therefore, I'm not the true world number one. Moreover, this world championship is not my final goal, I hope to do even better at the Tokyo Olympics !"

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Utter Rubbish. Bunkum.

Read the whole article and don't draw your own baseless conclusion. The ROC is no more, even Chiang Kai-shek admitted as much before he died, and he has always staunchly opposed the creation of two China. No Chinese leaders on either side will want to become the 10,000-year sinner for splitting the Motherland.

The UN and the great majority of the world 's significant nations all recognized only the PRC as the sovereign nation. You are living in a parallel universe, come back to Earth, my friend. Not only the 1.3 billion Chinese people opposed Taiwan independence, even the majority of overseas Chinese are strongly against splitting the Motherland. Reunification is a matter of time, not if but when, hopefully and ideally, in a peaceful manner.

Those small potato countries that still recognised Taiwan are bought over by offers of money, expect them to begin switching their allegiance to PRC, a few have already done so. Don't be on the wrong side of history. Future generations will never forgive anyone for the breakaway of Taiwan from China. The reunification of Taiwan with Mainland China is the sacred mission and lofty goal of the entire Chinese people.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The Chinese Games are not more important then WC I think. Though they are held every four years, players meet their friends there. They see each other every day, eat with them, sleep with them (in some cases), and in the case they meet players they don't live with, that is because they did not have what it takes to make the national team.
    But WC is going against "foreign friends". That is much more significant. That is the reality check.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Please don't bring the Taiwan - PCR problem into this forum, there is no way we can solve anything anyway.