Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-08/27/c_136559323.htm Facts and Figures of The 13th Chinese National Games

"The countrywide event, inaugurated in 1959, is billed as China's mini-Olympics, and features 417 events across 33 sports for professional athletes, and 126 disciplines in 19 mass programs."

"There are a total of 47 venues for the Aug. 27-Sept. 8 competition in Tianjin, including 21 newly-built and 15 renovated. Ten of the 47 competition venues are located in colleges and universities."

I should add that the preliminary rounds for badminton, as for other sports, were already played earlier, a few weeks ago.

#1121 Justin L, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Another thing about Li Xuerui is her current age at 26, born 24th Jan 1991, not that young anymore.

Unlike Kento Momota who is now 22, born, 1 Sep 1994, I believe LXR's comeback is fraught with more difficulties after her long one-year layoff. Provided she has the willpower , persistence and determination, even then I'd expect her to return to near her best after about a year from now, assuming she's playing at the upcoming Chinese National Games.

I mean, just look at Sayaka Sato, who sustained a severe injury at the LOG'12, and it's been 4 years now, and at age 26, born 29 Mar 1991, is she back to her best ? And can she do better in the near future ? That's an open question.

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

GingerCorslette and Justin L like this.
  4. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Sayaka just recently won the Indonesian SS....there is a will, there is a way. LD just went into the WC final at the age of 34!
    26 is way too young to retire now....these athletics are in great shape! Just look at the WS final at the WC!!
    I still think there is a few more years left in LXR...unless of course she can't beat the up and coming young Chinese stars in training ...then that is another story. She would know by then, her time is up...
    Look at LCW, don't think anyone in Malaysia can beat him at the moment....so do you think he should retire?

vixter likes this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah

LCW wont retire, do you think R1 knockout will make him retire?lol. He still can make a lot of money.
    Same for LiXuerui.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, I'm not implying LXR should retire, just think her comeback will be a difficult and long process, may be a year before we see some decent results , hopefully not that long, she is a real talent, after all. Wish her all the very best.

dave010 likes this.
  7. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Yes, she is a raw talent....give her 6 mths on the tour and she will be back to her best again. Just need the match practice and conditioning, and this can only obtain with competitions...
    If I were her, I would start preparing for the 2018 All England!! hehehheh

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://www.aiyuke.com/news/2017/09/ne1238a32882.html?1504246195.html

" Come on, Li Xuerui !", the Tianjin Baodi Stadium resounded with such a familiar encouraging refrain. After the injury at the Rio Olympics and having laid off competition for one year, Li Xuerui is finally making a comeback at the Chinese National Games (CNG).

Although it's just representing PLA in Women's Doubles at the Team event, furthermore losing to the Fujian WD pair, 1-2, still the match has attracted the widespread attention of numerous spectators.

Li Xuerui never regarded that WD match as her first comeback event," Because I've not completely recovered from my injury."

Currently, China's Women's Singles is at a low point, as for when she can come forth to battle in singles, Li Xuerui expressed there is no timeframe, " Badminton is different from others, nine months recovery period is not something one can be certain about, when it is time to come back, I will naturally do so."

At the spectators grandstand, Li Xiang, the coach that initiated LXR to badminton, who specially rushed over from Chongqing to watch her play, said," The fact that Li Xuerui is able to stand in the court is already considered an accomplishment."

Li Xuerui and Gao Ziyao paired up in Women's Doubles, this is also their first time as a pair. Li Xiang explained that though Gao Ziyao hails from Hubei, she is also part of Chongqing's as a nurtured athlete. Talking about teaming up with Gao Ziyao, Li Xuerui said," It's the first time I'm paired with this little child, need to break in more and more with her then."

As far as Li Xuerui is concerned, since the last CNG, she has not played women's doubles for four years," My injury recovery is not bad, but not fully yet, can play singles, but cannot straightaway engage in high intensity opposition. if injury recurs, like what happened to Wang Lin, that would be such a shame. Progress bit by bit, don't have to be so anxious," said Li Xuerui.

At this CNG, Li Xuerui played only WD in the team events. " The post-injury rehabilitation hasn't been easy, so I want to prepare myself well before playing singles again, but, at the moment, playing doubles is manageable, " Li Xuerui added. " As it is the National Games,I hope to contribute my part to the team. During competition, Li Xuerui's left knee was heavily bandaged, a reporter joked, " Never noticed your left leg is so slim." Though it doesn't affect her movement, but once she makes a substantial movement to retrieve a shot, Li Xuerui would still stretch her knee a bit (instinctively).

From watching her play,Li Xuerui's touch at the net is somewhat rusty. A reporter asked Li Xiang, " What do you feel is the extent of Li Xuerui's recovery?" Li Xiang replied, " As a veteran player, with such a severe injury to boot, and still able to compete, that in itself is a kind of success."

[I left out a chronological description of what happened to Li Xuerui the past one year as it is uneventful, as most of it I've already posted earlier in her thread - Justin]

Cheung likes this.
  9. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student

My simple question is that would we see LXR of old? That of the form of 2012 and 2013?

Would her injury persist, or would it completely heal?

Somebody also told me that Li Yongbo is responsible for the severity of her injury because he pushed her to play despite having injury, which continued to get severe and severe as days went by.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Where did you get that impression from, some rumours or gossips somewhere ? Even if LYB is pushing her to perform, she is responsible for her own health and condition, I won't be surprised she herself was anxious to show results when plagued by injury problems and overreached herself at the Rio OG. At Rio, when I first saw her down on the floor, I didn't think it was that serious. O hindsight, I suspect she was carrying some injury going to Rio and it was aggravated, that's why she had to be immediately sent to Germany for surgery; it turned out to be more serious than expected and the recovery process was much longer than we hoped for.

As it is, it could be career-ending, she's back to competition now but taking it slow with precautionary measure, not wanting to end up like Wang Lin or Wang Xin. Nobody including herself is sure of the extent of her recovery (both physical and mental) and how far she can go from here. She's 26 years of age already, not much time left to waste and certainly can't afford another injury or recurrence. Just have to take it one step at a time, that's why I thought it'd take her about one year to show any decent results. Hope and wish her all the best, it's her life and career, she got to learn how to take good care of herself, the doctors and coaches can only do their part,the rest is up to her. Jia You !

As we know, before the Rio injury, LXR had other injuries before on and off, remember the one where she chose the conservative treatment that took a long while instead of surgery to her bone hairline fracture. I'm more worried about her injury phobia, something which Wang Lin failed to overcome and after her third injury, she gave up.

To make it worse, her mental fragility at major tournaments also caused her much agony. Such a talent and she's beset by all these issues. That's also why I said her comeback is fraught with more difficulties than the now 22-year-old Kento Momota who's problem is a personal issue not related to injury. Let's see how it goes for both of them though I'm more hopeful of KM making a successful comeback soon than hers.

11. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    This below is a comment on a badzine article just after the London Olympics. While I don't agree with everything said here, the pressure part is definitely to some extent true.
    http://www.badzine.net/2012/09/memories-of-the-2012-london-games-from-a-to-z/

@Justin L

Li Xuerui is just one-hit wonder.

The reason why she could become a champion over her compatriots and other opponents was simply because she was playing as a player who stayed under the radar while her more decorated and top seeded teammates had to bear the pressure and expectations to deliver.

Wait till you see her performance as a reigning Olympic Champion. Under such circumtances and tremendous pressure, you will see the true colour of Li Xuerui when she starts feeling the heat and everyone wants to have a taste of beating her.

The summary of this Olympics should be approriately concluded as this:

Three players have become a living legend: Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Zhao Yunlei​

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One Olympic gold in her maiden attempt at age 21, and multiple PSS/SS titles and WR#1 for more than a year is a one-hit wonder ? She also helmed Team CHN to several team majors,Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup, with an unbeaten record.

Indeed, her subsequent failures at the nest few WC and the Rio OG is unbefitting the arguably best WS player in the world for years. It's exactly what detracts from her great achievements.

Her career is also unfortunately beset by injuries, so much so her future is now uncertain but not over yet. I believe she deserves all the support and encouragement we can give her, any other Badminton Associations will be so proud of her.

13. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Did you even read my comment.

I said that I don't agree with him, but he did make a valid point about pressure.

We all know that LXR was incredibly consistent and reached almost all the finals of whereever she entered.

But she did have a mental block in WCs as seen in both 2013 and 2014.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ok, noted, but he didn't call LXR a one-hit wonder. The pressure part about LXR is well-known. Point taken.

15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What position does she plays in double? Front or back?

16. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    One hit wonder? There has been only 7 Olympic gold medals awarded to 6 players in WS, LXR is one of them, what do players be called other than the gold medal winners. No hit wonder or don't even recognize their existence.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No idea, can't find any of her videos or livestream replays.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

CONFIRMED : Li Xuerui will not play Denmark and French Open

[​IMG]

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sad, her future is uncertain, perhaps precarious. I wonder if she suffered another injury in recent months but unreported. She once said she'd rather kept mum about her injuries as she believed no opponent would be sympathetic towards her and might even want to capitalize on it, so what's the point of making her injuries known.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If she still has the desire to play, she will need to go through the international challenge and grand prix routes again. Which may not be a bad thing to build confidence.