Mizuno Wave Fang SS2

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by ntpm, Aug 8, 2017.

1. ntpm

ntpm Regular Member

Database Administrator
    Islubio likes this.
  2. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

The heel cushioning was quite stiff for the last generation. Hopefully this second generation will get improved in this aspect.

3. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

I just checked this shoe out in store. I have had 5 pair of Wave Fangs and I think they changed the rubber on the SS2. It doesn't seem to be as grippy or soft. It feels more like their volleyball shoe XG sole. The selling feature for me was always the superior grip and low to the ground feel. Perhaps they changed it for durability (?) Please chime in if you have purchased.

4. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    What is the difference between Wave Fang SS2 vs Wave Fang RX2? Both of these shoes are not available to buy in mainstream shops or websites here in the UK, why is that?

Which version is the premier Badminton shoe in Mizuno range, as it can be quite confusing with hardly any details or availability, unless you come to dedicated forums like this.

5. Esteban

Esteban Regular Member

As far as I can tell...
    The Wave Fang Pro is their most expensive shoe with the most "technologies". It is also leather.
    The Wave Fang RX2 is the next one down. It is made of a combination of synthetic/fabric/leather materials like most every other shoe is, but the toe box is entirely covered in a rubber material(I think they used to call it rhino skin) to prevent toe-drag holes, etc.
    The Wave Fang SS2 is next. It does not have the rhino skin(so made from a combination of traditional materials). It may also have less "technologies", but I'm not sure.

I own the last year's RX model and this year's RX2 model. The rhino skin seems pretty indestructible, but has slightly different "give" to it than traditional materials.
    I ordered them from shuttle house, shipped to Canada.
    But you can now get the SS2 directly within Canada: https://www.canuckstuff.com/store/badminton/shoes/shoes-men/mizuno/mizuno-unisex-wave-fang-ss2/1046

They fit small. The toe-box is small, in width and height, especially. I have to wear a 0.5cm size up from the yonex/li-ning/adidas shoes I have had.

For some reason, Mizuno doesn't really distribute outside of Asia.
    I emailed Mizuno Canada last year to ask why and the didn't give me an answer, they only said that they don't...but not why.

London_Player likes this.
  6. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

To the best of my knowledge, the Wave Fang RX2 is the premium models for synthetic leather and provides the most support / stable shoes within Wave Fang range.

On the other hand, Wave Fang SS2 is intended for players who seek for lighter shoes, but still provide adequate support. The price is cheaper compared to RX2.

The most expensive is Wave Fang Pro, whereby Mizuno applies natural leather (only) on the upper side of the shoes.
    Nevertheless, I do not consider it is worthed to be bought.

Last but not least, Mizuno distributes and sells the Wave Fang series only in Japan Domestic market.
    The origin of this model is from their factory in Vietnam.

Though there are several retailers who import the Wave Fang to other countries, but its distribution is not channeled through official Mizuno's worldwide subsidiaries.

I bought mine from shuttle house too. :D

I agree with Esteban.

London_Player likes this.
  7. clawhammers

You cannot expect to get plushy cushion from Mizuno models.

Perhaps you can change the insole that offers more cushion.

Mizuno is known for its true-to-the-ground feelings. Yes it is stiffer compared to yonex or asics products.

However this is the reason I fall in love with Mizuno, i.e., the unique feeling of firm connection to the mat.
    :D

8. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

I think the main difference between SS and RX series are their sole structures. This results in closer-to-the-ground feeling for RX series.
    The main difference between RX and Pro models is the choice of upper materials.

9. xksua

xksua Regular Member

Student
    Wore the first gen Wave Fang RX for close to two years and absolutely love it.. but now the sole/cushion has worn off and is causing me backaches after my games..

Bought the Wave Fang SS2 as a replacement, my thoughts as follows:

Pros:
    • More lightweight than the RX
    • Grips the floor better (maybe because RX has worn out)
    • Lateral movement support is about the same, still the best among the badminton shoes

Cons:
    • The original sole provides close to no cushioning.. Way thinner cushion than the RX1 and you can just feel it if you take out the insole
    • I don't think its suitable for those who land hard on the ground or need thicker cushion
    • The rhinoskin on the RX models is practically indestructible, so I reckon the SS2 might not be as durable as the RX (cant say for sure)
    So what i did was replace the insole with yonex's sockliner/insole and now i have the perfect shoe for myself, lightweight, grippy, good lateral movement support, and good cushion..

highly recommend changing the insole if you are considering the Wave Fang SS2

#9 xksua, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  10. clawhammers

Thanks for sharing

What do you think the difference between RX (Gen-1) and SS2 in terms of Support ?

11. xksua

xksua Regular Member

Student
    Hi clawhammers,

can you elaborate more on which support you are referring to? apologies as i'm not familiar with the shoes jargon. cheers :D

12. clawhammers

Hmm. I was thinking about heels support and lateral support. :)

The support's features in Wave Fang RX (both Gen-1 and Gen-2) are very good.

13. xksua

xksua Regular Member

Student
    I see, support wise I feel that it was just as good as my Gen-1 Wave Fang RX, personally, i did not feel much difference. Lateral movement in the SS2 still felt great and maybe because I tied my laces with the heel lock method, the whole shoe felt very secure.

The most notable difference i felt changing to the SS2 were: 1) more lightweight, and 2) less cushion. Maybe due to the lighter weight, I could move more effectively, and the RX1 feels a bit sluggish.. or maybe that was the "new shoe effect" :D

14. clawhammers

I see. Thanks for sharing :)

15. xksua

xksua Regular Member

Student
    Hope it helps! :D

clawhammers likes this.
  16. PradeepShan

PradeepShan New Member

What about SS2 durability ?

17. PradeepShan

PradeepShan New Member

What about SS2 durability ?

18. PradeepShan

PradeepShan New Member

What about SS2 durability? In India we are getting rhino color in Amazon, is there any other website where I can get Blur Yellow one?

19. xksua

xksua Regular Member

Student
    After using it for a little more than one year, average two times per week... its holding up well..

no issue with durability

PradeepShan likes this.
  20. PradeepShan

PradeepShan New Member

Thanks, I am using Lining Saga Tour (Orange and Blue). Weekly twice I play. You don't believe it If I say I am using that from past 5 years and 4 months :). However, now its shole if going off so thinking of getting a new one. :)