Total BWF World Championships - DRAW and onwards

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

In case of injury, problems, perhaps?
    He isn't so sure whether he can play next year or not.

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Chen long is in his late 20's. Is it not?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think both Lin Dan and LCW are still mulling over Tokyo 2020, it's certainly early days yet to make up their minds, and they would want to take it one year at a time.

But, still, with one at around age 37 and the other 38 by then, it's quite a bit of a stretch for either or both to even qualify for one of the two spots available per MA/NOC though , admittedly, LCW's chances are a little higher as MAS doesn't have that many consistent top 10 players in the running.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oops, typo error, I mean late 20s. Thanks for the correction.

5. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    New Bruce Lee movie? :)

John I'm likes this.
  6. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Among Indian contenders, Sameer has a tricky round tomorrow.
    Anything from the dubs teams and the 2 non contending WS will be bonus tomorrow.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, to paraphrase the Bruce Lee movie.

Fan123 likes this.
  8. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    There's something special about the '00s generation of MS players. Not just in terms of longevity but also their abilities.

We have the top 4, Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade. Slightly lower down we have Bao Chunlai, Lee Hyun-il, Boonsak Ponsana, Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Park Sung Hwan and Simon Santoso. 4 of them are still playing in the international circuit; 2 of them retired just last year.

Lin Dan at the age of 33, is still arguably the Chinese no. 2 player, 16 years after his first international outing in 2001. The circuit has changed all too much since his debut and countless juniors have exited before him such Chen Jin, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming etc. Coming from a competitve era where 10-15 players were gunning neck and neck for every championship and title, you truly had to rise above the rest if you wanted a shot at glory. That's what made these players seem so much more skillful and awe-inspiring compared to today's frontrunners, they were simply the cream of the crop. The prowess that they've built up over the years allowed them to gun on so much longer than every other "mortal" player.

As Gill Clark once said, when these players played, you wanted to watch them play. The competitiveness and big matches over the years kept us glued to the TV screens and kept us talking about their rivalries. They've inspired countless youngsters across the world and garnered new attention for the sport of badminton. It's amazing in itself that some of these veterans are still schooling youngsters, who have grown up idolising these very same players, in GP Gold and SS tournaments in 2017. We should savour their last battles while we can, for we are already in the very twilight years of this generation. Once the last of the legends finally bows out of the sport, the badminton world will not be quite the same again.

Nine Tailed Fox and pcll99 like this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, Lin Dan , I've no doubt he has the vast experience and requisite skills, second to none, but I'm concerned about the physical toll it would take on him as he reaches the penultimate and ultimate rounds, if he progresses that far.

Realistically, should he come up against Chen Long or someone else younger in the final, the fitness advantage will likely be with his younger opponent, by that I'm implying Lin Dan's chances against another player his age such as LCW would be somewhat higher than if he were to meet a much younger opponent , esp such as Chen Long who is still in his prime.

Looking at Lin Dan's likely path to the final, his R1 opponent Kieran Merrilees is no pushover, R2 Emil Holst is a promising up-and-comer, R3 Sameer Verma or Rajiv Ouseph on their day are capable of pushing him , QF Shi Yuqi is another talented youngster on the upward trajectory, SF prospect whether it's Son WH or K Srikanth are on form and by then Lin Dan is expected to be significantly stretched as he'd be playing his 5th round , the normal length of most Superseries level tournament; so by the time of the final, I honestly can't be too hopeful of Lin Dan's ability to carry it through to a successful conclusion.

Still, we are talking about Lin Dan, not just anybody, we may never know. Who knows, he might just catch us all by surprise, astounding us as only he could. Well, for the time being, I'd wait and see how or whether he can manoeuvre past the QFs before attempting to evaluate his probability of making the final and lifting the crown once again, for an unprecedented 6th time in his preeminent career achievements.

Right at this moment, I stand by my earlier prognostication that Lin Dan rates behind Chen Long and LCW among the Super Trio for the world title.

At the same time, the luck of the draw pitting Chen Long and LCW at the QFs instead of the semifinals at least , has somewhat increase the chances of a couple other hopefuls to advance to the semifinals in the lower half of the draw. Let's face it, if anyone has to face all three of the maestros en route to the final, it would be a tall order for him, unquestionably.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, well said, can't agree with you more.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand that bet365 in Europe has rated Chen Long, Lin Dan and LCW in that order for the odds of winning at Glasgow.

For WS, it's Carolina Marin, Akane Yamaguchi and Nozomi Okuhara , in that order.

Fan123 likes this.
  12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

13. Master

Master Regular Member

BBC Sport to show BWF World Championships

August's badminton World Championships will be streamed live on the BBC Sport website, with an hour-long television highlights show to follow the final.

The coverage will include live online video from two of the courts at Glasgow's Emirates Arena.

China's Chen Long and Spain's Carolina Marin are defending singles champions, while Rajiv Ouseph and Kirsty Gilmour are set to carry British singles hopes.

"This is fabulous news," said Badminton Scotland chief Anne Smillie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/badminton/39052805

14. B-J-R

B-J-R Regular Member

What an incredible achievement by Marin and Chen Long to have won the biggest title badminton has to offer three times consecutively: 2014 Worlds, 2015 Worlds, and 2016 Olympics. Since the Olympics included badminton in 1992 Marin is the only Women's Singles player ever to this. Obviously, Chen Long shares the Men's Singles honours with Lin Dan who took seven of the eight biggest titles from 2006 to 2013 losing out in 2010 Worlds to Park Sung-Hwan in the quarters.

If you had to put your money on one of them to make it four straight who would you go with?? I'll take Chen Long, as I think the likely Marin vs Okuhara QF will really take a lot out of Carolina, if she manages to win that is.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  15. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Hate to say my money is on screamer Marin, unless she's scheduled to meet any Chinese players enroute?,
    reason i say that is she might lose it mentally as she hates Chinese.

16. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Can't find HBJ/SY/CYF take even a game of CM, what mentally? Other than WSX nobody has troubled her at all. Besides I hate to say CM unfortunately is the strongest both mentally n physically.

17. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Mentally as in seeing red mist leading to losing, think i witnessed a game against Sun Yu where she lost it,
    she was still mouthing at the Chinese contingent as she walked by.

Speaking as a expat from HK and love to see a Chinese winner, but i can't see it, CM is a cert.

18. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Nozomi Okuhara has a good head-to-head against Marin, including twice at the Superseries Finals (where honestly nobody looked like they could trouble her).

19. Ajinkya_Dan

Ajinkya_Dan Regular Member

Can anyone please suggest me the options to watch the world championship in India? Which channel will be telecasting it? Also any online sites to watch the matches on? I believe the BWF Youtube channel won't be visible in India

20. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Even at best I dont give Saina more than a Bronze and PVS more than a silver. Why? Marin.
    Long wont win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.