Gosen G-Tone 5

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mikomi, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's more the domination of the badminton dinosaurs who claim BG65 at 9kg a "damn hard stringing job."

Ch1k0 likes this.
  2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    That's why they're idiots if the had bad intentions then. They'd just be imbeciles.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Not sure if this helps in any way, but here I am, adding a third german club with the exact same issue. 30°C, speed test of a brand new A300 (my A300!) lands spot on the doubles service line. First rally, opponent fires a totally messed up, fully horizontal smash about 1.5 meters long of the base line. What should I say... the shuttle ended with each feather bent right next time he held the shuttle in his hands. And he was so quick, there was no chance stopping him. Next time I seriously think of sending him an invoice. :mad:

For most players around here the shuttle has the correct speed when they are able to hit a max-power clear or lift and it still lands inside. And what's bugging me lately with slow shuttles: They are a lot of times the rootcause for timing issues that seems to be the racket's fault.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You sure we're not playing at the same club?! This sounds very familiar, unfortunately...

5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    As somebody who thinks that they are all evil: It's often a procedure to get advantages. A slow shuttle will be prevented from hitting out, the smashs are not fast (prevent smashing out with a flat angle and makes defence a bit easier) and drives don't fly out. The backhand clear of your opponents get a bit shorten. It slow down the total game, so that Grandpa Manfred can get the monster smash after he popped some Valiums.

Daniel™ and Ch1k0 like this.
  6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I start a own thread, for this topic.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Pretty sure. I think I would have noticed you and your Li-Ning collection long time ago.

True that. A slow shuttle only makes the game easier. That's why slow shuttles are so popular amongst hobby players. They end up with longer rallies and feel that they are playing a lot better than they actually are. In the sense of "did you see how well I got back that monster mid-court smash of yours?".

Rob3rt likes this.
  8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I love how we hijacked a string thread LOL

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

s_mair likes this.
  9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    *Sees the chance to rant* Holy crap I ain't alone. I've been pissed off popping nerves left and right on my forehead after seeing most mildly older players just tampering with the shuttles. THEY BREAK IT EVERY SINGLE TIME you hit a decently fast smash and hit a full swing serve at full power from service line to check if the (tries not to curse) darn shuttle land she outside or not. Then they start breaking the feather again. And then they come with their 18lbs rackets with the noodle shaft and punch clears for eternity to further piss me off since it takes out a bit from my arm. *Feels much better*

#349 swsh, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    ucantseeme likes this.
  10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I still have a packet of this stuff left and another fresh one on DZS that i'll pick up today but is it just me or does the GT5 has weird vibrations coming through it? Inconsistent vibrations? Specifically at a high tension ofc. I remember someone runs 30x31 here.

For now I've gone back and ordered 5 more packets of BG80.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Of course you have weird vibrations... at your tensions your sweet spot is the size of a penny!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

swsh and s_mair like this.
  12. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I'm an hour away from the shop & club so let's see if the fresh GT5 at 27x28 has any difference.

Psss it's more like a tennis ball than a penny :p

13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It wasn't exactly brimming with feel but I guess that's what you expect from that tension. The vibrations really annoyed me still and I can't put my finger on it.. No.1 feels much more refined / easy to use comparatively even at a much higher tension. I found myself going back to ZF2 and feeling relieved. Never faced the vibration issue with 80 either.

Weird stuff. Did I get two bad batch packets?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Try 27-28 lbs and report back. Otherwise you can send the bad batches to me...

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It was 27x28. That’s what surprised me. I only have a packet left of this stuff tho is it’s all good :p

visor likes this.
  16. Mcth

Mcth Regular Member

Yes its a loud string but still prefer ultimax 66 ( with the exception of durability ) on my nanoray 900

String g tone 5 at 26 lbs. Have used it 2 sessions so far ......... see how it goes

17. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Now that's a rare preference. Have you tried Li Ning No.1? It's softer than GT5 but the repulsion is way better than YY UM. Recommending since I'm wondering if your preference has something to do with 66 being softer than GT5.

18. Mcth

Mcth Regular Member

Oh ....didn't know my preference was rare ..... I usually string what the coach suggest.

Strings I tried bg80 ---- doesn't break but feels like hitting the wall
    Then ultimax on zf2 and nr900 ......works like charm on the zf2 but kept breaking on nr900 ... 2 times 2 months
    Then now on the 2 nanorays 900 I put gt5 and aerosonic.

Coach says my skill probably not too good either miss hit or the top of the nr900 has lower top horizontal hence the weakness.

I guess I am still in the r&d stage to find best feel,sound,durablity,repulsion. Ok will try the lining1 and zymax if the string snaps.

Other combo I was told by the coach could be vertical bg80 horizontal ultimax

Currently playing around mid club player level.

19. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Is there really such a big deal with loud or nice sounding string over other aspects of performance like repulsion, power, etc?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, it's just satisfying to have an aural feedback. But sound is the least of all the characteristics. I'm sure most of us would rather have better durability, feel, control, repulsion, and power over sound any day.

#360 visor, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Gpower likes this.