Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A bit difficult against these opponents. They are very stable, come in to take shuttle earlier putting pressure on j4ckie and partner. Here, I really think you need both partners playing well. It took the whole of the first set to adjust.

I felt that was better done at the start of the second set.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks, I thought so too. My comment to my partner in the break of the second game was that he shouldn't intercept shots on his backhand and play them upwards, and that he should let them through to me, but it's a deeply ingrained habit, so that did not change much. I also made a few more errors, and they basically 'woke up' and played better, with more pressure and more alertness.
    I'm not super happy with the result, but I think it wasn't a bad match, considering our current form.

@samkool if you have any specific examples of situations where I could've done better, that would be great, as I can assure I do try to take control of the net and the match :D

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think your opponents still have another gear up. Another option to consider is playing a few clears especially to the right hander who looks to come in.

Your game lacks a bit of variation. I notice you don't play many pushes from the net to land just past service line either on return of serve or in rallies.

j4ckie likes this.
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Another weekend, another tournament....different partner, different opponents :D As always, any feedback is welcome. :)

I'm the one wearing the pink shirt, btw.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you should partner up w/ one of the girls on the next court. it appears they smash harder than your current partner... :D

khoai likes this.
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Then you didnt watch the full vid or need to invest in some glasses, mate :D
    He actually has the second hardest smash of those on court - but didnt use it to its fullest much to avoid being countered, I guess. All-out attack at all times against these guys isnt a good idea for us, they play significantly higher and can manage our 'hard' smashes very well, while we dont face defense as good as theirs often and can be out of position if we attack too hard too soon :)

One problem I noticed was my defense, not sure how significant it appears to you but I really had trouble handling the hard smashes from one of them (the other one cant smash hard :D).

#2626 j4ckie, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    jymbalaya likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Just watched because of Lukas. ;)

j4ckie likes this.
  8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

:( Why you do dis to me

:D
    Yeah, he does play really well - very nice to watch. Also a super nice guy - not arrogant at all, especially compared to others I know who play at a similar (worse) level. Even complimented us (a bit) on the second game, although, as I see it, there's like a 90% chance we couldn't repeat that (just count the number of net cords....:D:D:D)
    Edit: it's fewer net cords than I thought, so in hindsight, I don't really understand our opponent's reaction. He acted like there were 10....we had had another match in groups where both sides scored at least 5 points each via net cord in the 2nd game :D

#2628 j4ckie, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

nice game
    maybe you can aim for the 100% doubles wins next season :rolleyes:;)

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, that's the target :D and a 100% team win rate :p

11. Lucrecia Randall

Lucrecia Randall New Member

Call Center Agent / Financial Account.
    It will be fine....please...;)

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Isnt that the first post from years ago that you quoted? Havent seen that particular user at all in any threads I follow...

13. Carlos (Mijas)

Carlos (Mijas) Regular Member

What do you guys think that was my mistake in this point?
    Im the one closest to the camera
    Thanks!

14. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Wrong choice of shot (backhand smash/drive to the body) and the return was probably going out.

Carlos (Mijas) likes this.
  15. Carlos (Mijas)

So I guess that shot should have been played closer to the line right??
    And if i wanted to play the body should I send the shuttle slower so i have time to turn and get back to the center of the court?? Or is that a NO WAY situation with far court backhands??

Thanks for the advice !

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

After return of serve, can have better body position. You made yourself play an unnecessary backhand.

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Personally, I would have played a backhand clear or drop if I were that late to the shot. If you insist to play a backhand drive, I'd rather play it to the sides, yes, because your opponent was not surprised by your shot at all, it seems.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the shot that got you into trouble in the first place was your net shot, which was too far into the court so your opponent could take it early enough to play a flat lift into your backhand corner.

18. Carlos (Mijas)

About the net shot, im triying to understand how avoid a good net shot from my opponent by pushing it to the base line as Lee Chong Wei and lin dan do. However i do something wrong (as you said the reception put me in some trouble)

Ive been told that several times, should I lower my body so I can have a faster reaction?? Is that what you mean or is it something else??

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, with the difference that LCW and Lin Dan are super fast. They rather deal with flat lifts than with tight net shots. Most of the time the pros can not get any big advantage by flicks to the backcourt, whereas with non-professional players you can put a lot of pressure on them. Just my two cents.

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If this wasn't the matchpoint of the set at 29 all, I wouldn't overanalyse just one rally. You lost one point. If you loose quite often this way the point, you need to think about your game. But this small sequence is not enough to see enough from you, to say what mistakes, you do on regular base. One mistake is a mistake, a bad shot selection is a bad shot selection, but it gets a serious problem, when you do something on regular base wrong.

Also the comparison with pros, with all respect, is something which I don't like, because even if you play a decent level, the game play is noticeable different and the abilities of you and your opponents are lower compared to pros. So be focused on yourself and don't think too much to play like LCW, because with all respect, you are not LD or LCW and your opponents, too.

Edit: After I slowed it down to 0.25 I noticed that you realized lately the shot to the backhand and anticipated a flat lift in the forehand, so this is the reason, why you needed to play the backhand. You can see clearly that you tried to move to the forehand corner first. I would kee p an eye on my recovery and start. My impression is that you are fast enough and could avoid it. I had played a clear or a drop, too like robert mentioned.

#2640 ucantseeme, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Rob3rt likes this.