China Masters 2017

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Akane Yamaguchi is also 19 years old. Has she acheived anything close to her?

Ratchanok Intanon became the world champion at age 18.

By 18 years of age, PV Sindhu has already appeared in a World Champs semifinal.

I would say that Chen Yufei is NOT young. Women peak earlier than men. 20-25 is the golden age for women.

2. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    And there seems to be no solution to it. None of the three: Sun Yu, He Bingjiao, and Chen Yufei have demonstrated any ability to be a champion.

Sun Yu should already be discounted. She is 23 and is older than almost all of the current crop of players.

He Bingjiao has shown some grit. But she is already 20, and not shown a sign of a champion. Carolina Marin was 21 when she won her world championship.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't forget,all the three mentioned, Intanon Ratchanok, Akane yamaguchi and P V Sindhu , have a head start, they started playing the pro circuit regularly while Chen Yufei could only play the junior circuit with the rare occasional senior level tournaments, Grand Prix only, thrown in a few times a year,you can count with the fingers of one hand. The same goes for He Bingjiao, not an insignificant disadvantage.

Btw, didn't Chen Yufei beat Sindhu at the MAS Open PSS in R1, earning Sindhu's praise, and almost disposed of Tai Tzu Ying in the QFs ? He Bingjiao's results aren't shabby either, as we already know, two SS titles and one GPG in two months in the second half of last year.

Sun Yu, I agree,is a disappointment despite her present WR of 6; at 23 years of age and playing the pro circuit for several years already, no sterling results to show, only one SIN Open SS in 2015 and three GPGs.

To be honest, I'm not trying to justify the three CHN WS players performance, only to put it into perspective. I too am generally disappointed with their results lately, a real letdown.

#383 Justin L, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Again, the world doesn't care if CHN team messed up. You don't get some special medals because you messed up. That is up to you really.

So in that sense, either He Bingjiao, and Chen Yufei have to catch up quickly (which going by their recent results doesn't seem to be happening) or they would turn out to be Sun Yu version 2.0

Also, when did PV Sindhu praise Chen Yufei? Give me sources please.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As I've said, their performance is a real letdown in recent months.

Sindhu's praise of Chen Yufei can be found in the MAS Open PSS thread, the early rounds; somebody posted it there. I suppose you haven't been following the tournaments on a regular basis.

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Keep Calm and have faith in the Yufei girl.
    CYF is CHN's next big thing, I bet. Unlike HBJ she already is a tougher nut to crack *psychologically*
    Literally stretched TTY all over the corners when she's breathing fire.
    Although I suspect PVS's loss was more due to fatigue and was just being generous in her statements. I still believe CYF can catch anyone off guard if they keep there foot on the pedal casually.
    Few more SS tourneys and she'll be CHN #1, HBJ is nowhere near and if this continues will never even touch WSX' s position let alone LXR.
    SY is excusesd, I never expected anything from her nor will I ever, at least in the near future.
    Also CQX and Li Yun should be given more exposure so that they don't got the same slow path CYF followed

7. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Being CHN #1 is not exactly saying much without WYH, WSX, and LXR in the picture.

Let's not forget that CYF was trounced in straight sets by her younger, WR#33 teammate CXX less than a month ago in Switzerland.

8. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    She cant even beat a second or third ranked Japanese junior. She is not a TTY or RI. Until she can take on and easily dispose the Japanese WS players she is just an ordinary player on a higher level than SY. A better clone.
    However one positive is that there are many WS juniors in China with potential, certainly more than the men. But as Devendra said they are not young, and they lack international exposure. The mens and womens juniors have great footwork and technique but they lack the natural deft touches which are skills you develop at a young age. I find the Indonesian players have these skills. If the Chinese can send their 15 year olds to play in Indonesia it will help both their singles and doubles players. Didnt their success in the past had something to do with returned Indonesian chinese!!!

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Man, I would love last year's commentator. That poet one.

But I know other than Lin Dan fans, no one enjoys him :D

GingerCorslette likes this.
  10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Who's CQX? Chen Xiaoxin maybe? :D

SEMIFINALS (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...FDA1D9-D2D9-40B1-B2F8-BD617515DB14&d=20170422

Saena Kawakami delivered big pressure for home youngsters, beat tournament favourite Chen Yufei in marathon match, 19-21 / 22-20 / 21-18. Both of them are coming from same generation, unexpected losing and disappointment for Chen as badminton fans set high expectation on her since she made headline in MAS Premier recently, eliminated Pusarla Sindhu then pushed current superb Tai Tzu Ying into the limit. China hope to nail WS crown at homesoil will rely on the less experienced Gao Fangjie who will face second seed Aya Ohori and Cai Yanyan has Kawakami to overcome.

None can stop China top-four seeds in men's singles category, Lin Dan who's already secure Glasgow ticket played so casual yesterday to eliminate Hsu Jen Hao then he gets Qiao Bin for final spot. Under pressured Tian Houwei will take on younger teammate Huang Yuxiang, except Lin Dan all those three MS have poor result started this year, chance to gain some big ranking points. Similiar fashion to WD category as four local pairs will face off each other in last four.

Men's doubles is the only category that home representations fail to reach semifinal, Liu/Cheng also Huang KX/Wang YL were crashed out yesterday, lost three games to their opponents, Setiawan/Tan BH and Angriawan/Hardianto respectively. Tough test awaits INA-MAS combination today, top-seed Chen HL/Wang CL. Zhang N/Li YH should progress into finale, an intriguing tie between Indonesians Faisal/Aulia against Wang YL/Huang DP this afternoon.

LIVE TV COVERAGE (Court 1, 01.00pm) :

1) Wang Yilu/Huang Dongping (CHN) v Hafiz Faisal/Shella devi Aulia (INA)
    2) Zhang Nan/Li Yinhui (CHN) v Liao Min Chun/Chen Hsiao Huan (TPE)
    3) Lin Dan (CHN) v Qiao Bin (CHN)
    4) Gao Fangjie (CHN) v Aya Ohori (JPN)
    5) Chen Hung Ling/Wang Chi Lin (TPE) v Hendra Setiawan/Tan Boon Heong (INA/MAS)

gelopisan and Win Lin like this.
  11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Tong Sin Fu / Tang Xianhu.
    It's really hard to find pure talented player like Tai TY or Intanon like China has Lin Dan.

12. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Oh yeah, especially when he did the LD-CL match. He used words that were like not supposed to be used in everyday conversations :D

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  13. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Du Yue/Xu Ya constantly developing. A few more years and they will be a top pair, no doubt.

14. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

At 9-2, I thought INA pair will win but suddenly from 10-14, Wang/Huang accelerate with 7 straight points.

15. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Yawns.
    Wake me up when LD plays..

16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Hey, don't you like watching Zhang Nan play? ;)

17. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

I do but first bring on ZYL

18. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Zhang Nan just lost the first set 18-21. I imagine him having a fit of rage after a terrible run this season.

19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I am going with Huang Yuxiang this time. Tian Houwei is definitely under big pressure.

20. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

ZYL is having a long holiday now. I don't think she want to get back on court again. :p