Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    visor likes this.
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Purple League used the 11 points system and it is not interesting at all.

justinloong and soulpx like this.
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan says YES to Home tournaments

Fully available for Bonny China Masters and Badminton Asia Championships after rejecting to play in Singapore Open.

0F1FL8gh29.jpeg .

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Latest BWF Rankings : Happy News for Lin Dan

[​IMG]

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan will be even stronger in Malaysia Open, confirms Seu Bock

[​IMG]

Tey Sue Bock was impressed by Lin Dan’s 21-12, 21-11 victory over compatriot Shi Yuqi at the Swiss Open.

“Lin Dan is still hungry for titles. He’ll be even stronger at the Malaysian Open. The presence of Lin Dan and Chong Wei will make the men’s singles competition more interesting in Kuching,” said Seu Bock.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...n-to-focus-on-msian-open/#tMbasyc8QoKY0z7W.99

6. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    IMHO, the only way to see more $ in badminton now and in the future is to have.........more DLCW and superdan playing since they stood in the league of their own thus making badminton still a very interesting sports.

Honestly speaking their influences is so huge that i have already applied my leave to go to Kuching to see this both titan playing in the upcoming Msia Open :) and i dont damn care about all the cost involved :)

Cheung, nokh88 and visor like this.
  7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    A return trip by air to East Malaysia during the last festive season was RM1,500.00.

But why are we discussing this in this thread?

shooting stroke likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170323/049971.htm dated 23 Mar 2017 22:30 hrs
    Lin Dan's grandma passed away aged 90, once taught him to cherish family

Fuzhou Evening News: On March 19, Lin Dan captured the BWF Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold Men's Singles Championship, breaking an 11-month streak without a title, and this piece of news caused quite a stir among Lin Dan fans. On Mar 5th, Lin Dan's grandmother passed away at Fuzhou of liver disease, aged 90. In order not to affect Lin Dan at competition, Lin Dan's family withheld the information from him all along. Lin Dan's aunty let on yesterday (23 Mar) that Lin Dan who did not send his grandma off the final journey returned to Fuzhou the last few days to mourn for her and make up for the regret. She even revealed that Lin Dan thought of going for another Olympics.

"Before breathing her last, she kept calling Lin Dan's name, hoping to see him the last time. We encouraged her to keep going and strive hard to battle her illness." Yesterday, Lin Dan's aunty (maternal side) Gao Xiuzhen recalled her mother's final wish, unable to hold back her tears. Lin Dan asked me to report grandma's situation to him (he always addressed his maternal grandmother 外婆 as paternal grandma奶奶) but we didn't, afraid of affecting his competition. Now that grandma is gone, we felt apologetic towards him."

This year February, Lin Dan visited grandma at Fuzhou and soon after rushed to Guangzhou to take part in a competition (CBSL), afterwards he again traveled West to partake in a row the German, England, Denmark(?), Switzerland,a series of open tournaments. To continue participating in high intensity competition and training for more than half a month is rather difficult for the 30 plus years old Lin Dan. Gao Xiuzhen disclosed that Lin Dan originally planned to return to Fuzhou to see grandma right away after competition.

Lin Dan 's grandmother was diagnosed more than two months' ago to have contracted liver disease, thereafter her condition continued to deteriorate. For the purpose of staying back at Fuzhou to look after Lin Dan's grandmother, Lin Dan's uncle Gao Zhiqiang and aunty Gao Xiuzhen were absent at the 100 days celebration of Lin Dan's son at Beijing (remember Lin Dan specially flew back to Beijing for one day from Lingsui, Hainan island, where he was undergoing winter training and returned the next day).

When Lin Dan's grandma was sick, he repeatedly went to Fuzhou to visit her. Talking about Lin Dan and his grandma's affinity, Gao Xiuzhen said, when Lin Dan was young he left home from Longyan to Fuzhou for training,and during the weekends he would often visit grandma at Fuzhou, their affection for each other was very deep. Grandma doted on Lin Dan the most and Lin Dan had all along been very obedient to her. Last year, when Lin Dan's extramarital affair broke out and grandma came to know of it, she lectured him to cherish the family while Lin Dan kept nodding his head in acknowledgement.

Why did Lin Dan addressed his maternal grandmother (or granny) as paternal grandma ? Lin Dan felt that calling her grandma instead of grandmother sounded more intimate, Gao Xiuzhen explained, that's why it's always grandma.

Gao Xiuzhen also showed the reporter the handphone Lin Dan bought her in February." In the past I don't know how to use WeChat (instant messaging service), Lin Dan then bought me a new handphone and taught me WeChat, requesting me to keep him posted on grandma's situation through WeChat."

Gao Xiuzhen divulged that Lin Dan revealed to his family he is still thinking of competing in one more Olympics. "The whole family is very supportive of him, telling him not to have any apprehension about winning or fear losing, just give your best, no matter win or lose we are behind him all the way."

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan going for one more Olympics, Tokyo 2020 ?!

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If true, this is great news for some, bad news for others, unbelievable for most of us.

11. shooting stroke

Good question...... Hmmmmm....... Just blame BAM as usual:):)

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What drives Lin Dan to consider giving the Olympics another shot ?

My thoughts:

1) He felt he let everybody down at Rio'16, most of all himself;

2) He is very worried about the long-term negative effects of his extramarital affair scandal and seriously wants to do something about it and thought there is no better way to salvage the situation than going for another Olympics despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles;

3) He honestly believe he still has a fighting chance of making it - didn't Peter Gade went to LOG'12 at age 36 ? Lin Dan would be 37 at Tokyo 2020, still possible, his age notwithstanding;

4) The birth of his baby son brought on a fatherly sense of duty and motivation to ensure that when he finally retires he can really give his family a good life with all the life chances that it brings;

5) Lee CW's purported desire to carry on until Tokyo 2020 sort of agitated him - if LCW can, why not him ?;

6) As Li Yongbo has instilled in him several times, Lin Dan owes everything he is and has to badminton, outside of it he is just an ordinary person and fade into obscurity - an important realization, an undeniable fact to him;

7) The interests in his rivalry with LCW has not abated, still as strong as ever it seems, so why not make the most of it while he still can and reap as much rewards from it as possible for as long as possible?

8) He sounded out his family and they have given him their fullest support and encouragement - no more misgivings in that regard about having to be away from his family half the time, particularly in the first few years of his baby son's life.

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Lol, a few years ago we joked about LCW and LD playing in Tokio and now it might be actually happening... :D

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On second thought, we had better wait for Lin Dan himself to make the announcement; after all, his aunty Gao Xiuzhen isn't his spokesperson.

Honestly, I was taken aback, and still seriously doubt he has the motivation and drive to carry on until Tokyo 2020, age and other considerations aside.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, I tend to believe LCW can make it to Tokyo 2020 as it's mostly up to him and he has sufficiently high self-motivation with practically no other obstacles in his path as far as the OG qualifications is concerned as there is unlikely to be another two MAS MS to contend with.

For Lin Dan, he first of all has to overcome his own problems and at the same time vie with his teammates for one of the two OG spots. When it comes to the Olympics or any major titles, and including the rest of the tournaments that make up the Olympic qualification cycle for use in the selection of candidates to the Tokyo OG.

Atm, I can safely say there is Chen Long and, most probably, Shi Yuqi, and I should expect another one or two others in the mix soon, undoubtedly. Lin Dan really has to be on his toes in the run-up to the Tokyo 2020 OG even though I have reasonable grounds to believe he won't be as active as he was pre-LOG'12.

Very interesting and exciting times ahead.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

@Justin L : I have to ask you this, because it's not clear to me when reading your posts. Do you believe LCW's incredible performance nowadays (compared with LD's) is the way it is purely due to his higher motivation? Because it seems to me that you think the only thing that's holding LD back is his hunger for more (or rather lack of). Is that right?

17. shooting stroke

If DLCW goes to the olympic, he who has 2 olympic title, Superdan, will definetly go. If DLCW is going to retire, he who has multiple WC title will also likely retire.

10 years back, both of them were pure nemesis but now their present is more to balance each other as both of them knows that no player on earth has a better record to tame each other esp in big occasion such as the olympic.

I dare to dah that how mighty superdan is, at this present era, in his heart he would probably might not complain much if he is defeated in the hands of DLCW comparing to other player because DLCW has earn much reputation and a worthy opponent to beat him

18. Nine Tailed Fox

With the arrival of little Xiao Yu, motivation is just a myth.

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Do you guys reckon LD (and others in such a high league) are gonna move to other disciplines when they aren't up for singles anymore? Could see LD and LCW playing MD til they're like 50 to be honest.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, the main difference between Lin Dan and LCW lately, and the last two years actually, is due to their respective self-motivation. Both of them have the talents, experience and skills, second to none, it is the motivation, hunger, drive, and suchlike that separates the two and affects their respective attitudes and self-discipline at competition and training. Remember, we're talking about the post-LOG'12 Lin Dan as compared with LCW.

And I'm afraid Lin Dan's motivation going forward can never be as high as LCW's as it largely has to do with Lin Dan's accomplishments vis-a-vis LCW's , apart from the advantage of mental toughness that Lin Dan used to have over LCW's which is perhaps much less now than before. In other words, I simply don't expect Lin Dan to work as hard, strive as much or dedicate his life to badminton as much as LCW does.

That's between the two great maestros and we cannot deny the age disadvantage they have against the younger competitors in their prime. What they lack in age and physical conditions they make up for in their immense experience and consummate skills.

As to whether Lin Dan can do as well as or even better than LCW the next few years, let time tell. I only believe , where there's a will, there's a way as well as mind over matter. I admit, sometimes in life we have the will, but we can't find the way. But in Lin Dan's case,I trust he'll find a way if he has the will. We'll see.