Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mrdeception

mrdeception New Member

Agreed. It will increase viewership and popularize the sport as more senior recreational players will take interest in the game.

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Why not add just few years more..... and the Olympic:)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

If the MRI did reveal an MCL tear, then this is pretty amazing recovery in 1 month...even with stem cell injections.

I'm more inclined to think it was just a strain and not a tear. And even if it was a tear seen on MRI, it was probably a very minor one? But still, 1 month to recover...

4. shooting stroke

Eventually my suspicion about Datuk is true..... He is a mutant:):).........damn cool... Therefore alll BAM training structure as till now actually is to breed group of mutans...i think BAM direction is on the right track. :)

esppy and Cheung like this.
  5. shooting stroke

Congratulation to our beloved Datuk.... You delivered another glorious achievement and makes all fans be it here in Malaysia and the out side world very very, very proud. Despite this. BAM must realize that China already has few new blood that is able to beat LD and a sooner gong to be a serious contender in the world of Badminton while Malaysia has not yet able to produce one.

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Datuk LCW has always been able to without 100% fitness, it has always been his mental games in majors that has let him down.

He still fitter than all other Malaysian players by a country mile, look at his insanely lean physique, it's just a marvel.

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes, they are. however, they are required to attend superseries tournaments.

tournament organizers and/or sponsors may pay players to enter gp gold level and below if they want to.

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    agreed. it pays to work your way to the top 2 in the world. yes, the draws are easier, but you've earned it.

whenever i read a fan complaining about a draw or commenting how it favored a player, all i see is ignorance. professional players don't complain about the draws because they know how the system works.
    not an unreasonable theory.

Cheung likes this.
  9. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Exactly. You earn your draw by putting in the hours. Some players may play less in order to prepare for a few tournaments, and they may suffer a bit in the draw department as a result.

LCW is THE ONE PLAYER that have played by far the most tournaments (to win) in the past years. I think playing too much have cost him some big titles actually. But the pay off have been the WR#1 or #2 spot for a long while, and the reward that comes along with it, is a good draw.

----

On the injury, just to elaborate. I don't think he wasn't injured. I just think he made it sound worse than it was, in order to get the setup and build up exactly the way he wanted it.

You could see in his movement and "on court confidence" during all matches, that he was not anywhere near worried about his physique.

Cheers,
    FB

10. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Points system is the key here.

Going from 15 to 21 made it possible to stick around perhaps a season more.

If they go to 11, it will be another step in that direction. But I sure hope they won't do it... Badminton should be a physical tough game.

Cheers,
    FB

11. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Okok, on a more level view, LCW's injury seems like a 7.5/10 to me, his first set (at least before first interval) with CTC in SF and SYQ in F were quite relaxed, playing a very courteous "giving up initiative" clearing/lobbing game and all. That reeks of him wanting to warm up the body and test his joints before fully entering into condition. No longer the all guns blazing LCW from years past.

This past AE gives me the impression "If he can stretch to get a down the line smash, he would, if he can't, then whatever, he'll give it up."

Especially the one cross court smash that SYQ returned, LCW didn't even bother to run the full diagonal from rear backhand to front forehand corner to retrieve, that was quite obvious IMO. And it shows that mentally he can afford to lose 1-2 points here and there. Netkill that cost SYQ his ankle was another somewhat, but that's subjective. I really feel for SYQ there, having had that happen also. I cringed when I saw that.

TBH, SYQ winning LD may be due to the fact that LD doesn't inject pace suddenly these days, preferring clears and drops while LCW is one that will still jump smash at an opportunity. And the fact that they train together means he somewhat knows LD's game, even if a fraction of it.

On a side note, he finally gives up his bloody SHB92MX that he's worn for what, 6 coming 7 years?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not sure. Old points system used to have some long matches but some not as long as now.

I thought financial incentives make people stick at badminton for longer.

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Datuk seems to be operating at 80% compare to his pre-injury games-- but I can't tell if he is just "saving" himself or developing/mutating into the 4th phase of "Shin" Godzilla, I mean the "True" Lee Chong Wei... Can't wait for the sequel, I mean the Final Form of Lee Chong Wei!

As for Shi Yuqi, he has revealed in interviews in that he has beaten Lin Dan in training before and had already met up with Lin Dan (& lost in 3 games) in the Chinese league-- that's why he doesn't get starry-eyed or play mind games with himself, like foreign opponents do when facing Lin Dan.... I think he knew, as we all do now, that there is very little "acceleration" left in Lin Dan's game now (vs pre-Rio 2016).

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Probably minor tear. With stem cell injection and pain killers its possible to play like he did.

15. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

I'm guessing it's the usual salt and moral outrage from fans of Lin Dan and other players/ playing styles...

Such self-obsessed "keepers of the law" (aka tone trolls/ virtue-signallers) tend to think it's weird/wrong that people with say, Marin's aggression, Lin Dan's theatrics, or Lee Chong Wei's poker face, etc. should all have an equal right to exist in badminton-- let alone express their personality.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know how to explain why people more obsessed with the stats/news than the actual game of badminton is even bothering to post in these forums...

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You just have to slip in on the sly a claim that's clearly not a fair representation of me, choosing to zero in only on the one aspect that irks you instead of taking me as a balanced whole. I could use the same charge against you but with good justification the way you unfailingly, even outrageously, support and defend everything about LCW as if he could do no wrong, fanatically and like a bigot.

As for whether Cheung, and I remember you 'accused' kwun of the same, are LD fans (actually I 'm not so sure of that), so what ? How does that automatically qualify them as biased towards LD? We still have to take whatever they write about him on its own merits and argue the case point-by-point. The way I see it, both Cheung and kwun are very respectable and reasonable people despite their occasional show of a bit of temper (Cheung more than kwun, that's mainly because the former is more active here having to deal with so many forummers, including a quarrelsome bunch and trolls).

As for LCW's bad boy behaviour of late, esp the way he repeatedly lashed out at MF (hat tip to him for showing such self-restraint and prudence, he earns my admiration), with die-hard fans like you blindly worshipping and encouraging him how can he not get worse as you've warned he would ?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Interesting. I only saw the semifinal and missed the final. He didn't look like he was protecting his leg but then again, he didn't quite look like 100%. Then again, CTC didn't really push to the extremes.

Perhaps Chong Wei's enforced break brought out a 'siege' mentality. He thinks everybody is trying to write him off but he's going to show people it's not over yet. You know, a bit of anger expression thinking there's a conspiracy against him.

indrg likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, I think pjswift was referring to me for the main part ;)

I think that particular small sideshow is settled so not much point to continue it.

19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

And that is said by LD fanboys who is in the atate of denial after LD was beaten like a noob many times already. LD lost, got so many excuse ma. LD doesn't want to win. LD doesn't want to fight at 50%. Absolutely like a meme. "You can't lose if you don't get in final" *tip head. Always so many reason to hate Chong Wei. If that is consider badboy, I would like to consider LD as a gangster who lacks respect. With his awful theatrical stunt like throwing racket and such. It's awful to see him praised like the best.

20. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

And what do you know of LCW's injury? You are better than MRI scanner? Wonderful. Just plain biased theory.