Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree with what was said about the cultural difference and the way LCW behave with juniors is not intrinsically bad - according to a friend of mine studying martial arts in Indonesia and Malaysia, the "head coach" rarely engage directly with young apprentice, leaving this to the older students, thus giving echelons in the rankings inside the group. It is possible that the same thing is happening normally in badminton and LCW felt MF negated his importance by directly taking control of the juniors.
    The problem for me is that the results with the juniors in the last five years have been very poor. So perhaps LCW should revise his position and let others take more place.
    But those are just impressions, obviously I don't know anything about what is going on inside BAM.

2. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I don't have time for that right now.
    In fact, I don't even have time to participate in this thread :-(

Cheers,
    FB

3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Apparently they do more than defend them...

Cheers,
    FB

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about Zhou Mi, born 18 Feb 1979, she left the CHN National team in 2007 and joined and played for the HKSAR since then until the doping incident in 2010. By then she was on the verge of retiring, age 31+ and in fairness to her she reiterated her innocence.

'"At the time of the test, I was not competing or preparing to compete. There was not even the slightest reason or incentive for me to take any performance-enhancing substance," said Zhou. Regardless of the incident, Zhou, now 32, added it was time for her to retire from the sport. Clenbuterol can be consumed from eating contaminated food.'- extract from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhou_Mi_(badminton)#Positive_clenbuterol_test_and_two_years_ban

5. VSiva

VSiva Regular Member

Interesting discussion about LCW here...

As an Indian, takes my memory back to the controversial times when an Australian Greg Chappell was hired to coach the Indian cricket team. People who are familiar with the sport know how big the sport India is and how big some of the cricket stars in the country are!

To make a long story short, the "foreign" coach tried his Australian way, didn't work out with the ageing superstars in the team leading to a huge public brawl. Ultimately the "foreign" coach was fired. To this day, the ego battle continues in public.

"Asian sporting culture" is certainly different from rest of the world, so to say.

V

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Well, Greg Chapell was there to destroy Indian Cricket. He made the whole environment suffocating.So, you can't compare Frost to Chapell. Frost is a big Malaysian Badminton fan and has bring positive results.

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Good luck to DLCW in this upcoming AE. Hopefully he doesn't get injured and can win it again in his remaining years playing.

Actually I don't favour for him to go even he has been given the green light that he's fit following his recent MRI result as IMHO he just needs to take an additional extra care of his recent injury if he intend and plan to play a bit longer in this few years before retiring at his current age. Currently they are only 2 players in this world which most likely all badminton fanatic fans would want them to continously play and no need to retire....... DLCW and his all time archrival and close friend, Superdan. Sustaining a repeat injury on a previous injury will indeed be a career threatening to both of them at this stage.

For DLCW, with the current injury sustained and add that to the list of previous injuries that he has previously incurred, IMHO regardless if your physician, dad, wife, hendrawan or Darth Vader confidently inform you that you are fit like a horse to go.....sometimes you just need to be human and talk to your own body and say.. Well why not we go for a holiday and take some rest for a while:):):)....then come back and try to win that world title again. :):)

However, he is going and all i can say ia that......all my pray is with you Datuk. Malaysia Boleh.

SS

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^ If he finishes early, he can go for even more shopping with Datin WMC ...

shooting stroke likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't think an athlete should be playing after suffering a tear of his MCL.

Oh, he is sponsored by Yonex, and maybe he will lose money by not being in a Yonex sponsored event...

shooting stroke likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Disagree with you for this analogy. It doesn't relate to this situation.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

People are referring to it as a culture difference. I don't agree. It is a training system difference.

justinloong likes this.
  12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, but training system belongs to culture. It is like education.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

sticksmash.com/2017/03/04/viktor-axelsen-vittinghus-lee-chong-wei-arrogant-unsympathetic/ ~Extended Podcast comments

14. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Which junior did he bully?

Some players like Iskandar, ZZ, CWF posted pics together with him on Instagram looking happy. If he bullied his junior they would care tagging him on Instagram?

15. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    that hans would need to clarify clearly, danish culture and malaysian culture are different, from wat he saw as bullying could actually be teasing between the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Hans or Victor should start Instagram and see what the reality.

His juniors tagging him with selfies and vice versa. All smiles and happy.

Check Instagram if I sound like hoax.

17. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    lcw often treat them to dinner even the junior team, i cant imagine the bullying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm not convinced either way, but you shouldn't take a couple of IG photos as true happyness/friendship, it's easy to smile 5 seconds to gain a couple hundred followers/fans, so don't read too much into it.

Altogether, their somewhat bad view of that situation is probably the result of a mix between the cultural difference between Danish and Malaysian players (here everyone has pretty much the same rights/duties, juniors don't have to take on the worse duties like wiping courts or sth. just because they're juniors) and maybe a certain sense of entitlement of LCW...being your country's lone star for years and years might make you think you deserve certain treatments and niceties...anyhow, I wouldn't build an opinion based on the anecdotal stories or the IG photos. I'm certain Victor and Hans-Kristian wouldn't want anyone to hate (or dislike) LCW based on that podcast either, they probably were just sharing stories and impressions and having fun, and neither are a couple of photos proof that someone's a genuinely nice person (or not).
    Let's try to appreciate the badminton we get shown by these guys, and take everything else with a grain of salt ;)

racketman123 and visor like this.
  19. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Me neither, still wondering who was bullied? Dude got tons of pic of him dinnering with many players LD, Taufik, PG, other Malay players even Tago who even considered never existed by his home country. Seriously Hans and Victor, LCW big headed bully?

thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-00-53-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-02-03-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-03-14-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-04-44-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-06-54-1 (1).jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-06-54-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-07-17-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-08-12-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-08-48-1.jpg thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-19-09-10-1.jpg

20. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys