Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jw720

jw720 Regular Member

So, do you think Lee Chong Wei will eventually play the All England this year, in your opinion?

2. jw720

jw720 Regular Member

Do you think that Morten Frost will attend the All England Open this year?

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I wonder if he will ever commentate (with GC) again... Maybe on a match witch LCW. :D

4. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I did like his commentary to be honest.
    He added even more technical stuff than Gill.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, me too. It's just weird to see that these two don't get along as Morten seems to be a big fan of LCW.

6. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I think now he's in the job he has to think about the future of Malaysian badminton and maybe disregarded LCW.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

That's why BAM hired him instead of Gill...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

BAM technical director extends olive branch to Chong Wei

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...live-branch-to-chong-wei/#roIJkGDJ8FFqD837.99

KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost has extended an olive branch to world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei in a bid to defuse the escalating tension between the duo.

Frost has drawn up a proposal that is likely to redefine the roles of singles coaches Hendrawan, Tey Seu Bock and Indra Wijaya; tighten the men’s singles training structure and increase the frequency of sparring sessions between seniors and juniors.

BAM’s coaching and training (CNT) committee, under chairman Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria, will hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday to study the proposal.

The strained relationship between Chong Wei and Frost came out in the open when the shuttler slipped and fell on the slippery court at the Academy Badminton Malaysia two weeks ago.

Three-time Olympic silver medallist Chong Wei, who tore a medial collateral ligament (MCL), claimed that Frost did not act quickly enough to his request for the slippery mats to be replaced.

The shuttler also said that he was hurt by some “insensitive” remarks made by Frost. Chong Wei even threatened to quit the national team.

But Frost is confident that the long-drawn issue with Chong Wei will be resolved soon.

“I met with Datuk Norza today. This matter has to be treated seriously and carefully. I’ve given the chairman a proposal on how I think we can move forward,” said Frost.

“He has asked me to put the plan into writing and present it at the CNT meeting. I’m extremely sad at the way things have happened ... but let’s try to move forward.

“I’m confident that this problem will be resolved soon.”

Norza, who met Chong Wei and Hendrawan yesterday, said that BAM would tighten the men’s singles structure.

“The current arrangement in the singles department is not working because of these two persons (Chong Wei and Frost), but we’ll get some kind of agreement from them,” said Norza, who is also the BAM deputy president.

“We’ll strengthen the coordination among the singles coaches and communicate the separation of duties and responsibilities clearly.

“I’m happy with the feedback received from Chong Wei, Morten and the coaches. All parties have given their commitment to adhere to the decisions made by the CNT committee. Let’s see whether the tweakings will be workable and palatable to all.”

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...live-branch-to-chong-wei/#roIJkGDJ8FFqD837.99

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Why is he extremely sad all the time?

It's been ages since he is saying it.

Someone go and give him a hug.

Maybe a chair next to Gill Clarke will make him not so sad.

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I fully believe MFH and BAM knows and understand very well about the issue expressed by DLCW and trying their best to rectify it ASAP but for the good of Msia badminton scenario be it now and importantly in the future, DLCW also needs to be calm and tone down his voice and stop from continuously firing all cylinders.

Regardless of whatever unfavorable decisions and hard criticism that BAM has ever made during this many years of DLCW services with BAM, DLCW also must understand that the glory and mega status that he has achieved now can only be possible through the involvement of BAM and miraclely all of this started from MFH himself when he personally identified DLCW during his junior years and personally advice BAM to recruit him to the academy.

Whether DLCW still will not make peace with MFH or whether this drift will still continue , DLCW should look back and realize that this foreigner from Denmark was actually the instrumental person who insisted BAM to recruit him and thus his journey to become one or maybe the best Maia bdmnton player begins.

11. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

For BAM to solve this issue, it all depends on how far and how much of risks BAM willing to take for the future of the National Badminton. If they refuse to look into the future and wants to hang on to LCW and claim all his glory and credit, they can side with LCW and isolate MF like what they have been doing with all the great coaches that have offended the players. If BAM is willing to look into the future, they will need to keep MF longer as he can produce more internationally recognized malaysian players as this has been what he is working all along. But being BAM, i think they would want to keep the ONE AND ONLY CHAMPION now for the next 2years and then they can start the blaming game after LCW finally unable to keep the flag flying. Blame the coach, blame the players, set up a few more departments (high performance, super high performance, extra super high performance team) which consists of the same members in every department.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lee CW is the face of MAS badminton, its icon, for him to go ballistic against Morten Frost like that repeatedly shows not only disrespect to Morten, specifically, and BAM top officials as well but also a big embarrassment, esp when the BAM president has already announced he's settled the matter between them. I mean Lee CW's initial reaction is understandable but for him to go on and on without letting up while Morten refrains from responding in kind and remains silent throughout is really too much and is, unwittingly, casting himself (Lee CW) in a bad light.

On the contrary, from the beginning when Lee CW erupted publicly, Morten Frost has conducted himself in a respectable, admirable and wise manner, hats off to him. Now that he has even made peace overtures to Chong Wei and offered BAM a proposal to move forward for consideration, the ball is in Chong Wei's court to do the right thing, play his part and move on.

What's done cannot be undone, the damage is irreversible, we can only hope to let time heal. Let us wish Lee CW do himself a favour and help to take MAS badminton to the next level. All the best.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Before Frost taking the role as head coach for the second time Lee was the sole bread winner for the whole of the MAS team as far as majors are concerned.

Within a short period of Frost arrival he guided the team to the most successful OLY ever for the country with 3 silvers thus made Lee from “the One” to “one of the 3” that bought home silver.

Put yourself in his shoes wouldn’t you be a bit p***ed off?

justinloong and FeatherBlaster like this.
  14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LCW didn't do his reputation any good.
    Probably lost more fans.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just like a certain rival from China, all he has to do is win a few tournaments to get back on track. If he helps brings up a successful player or two, then he is set for life.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Quite likely true, an honest statement of yours.:)

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, three Olympic silvers, even without taking any credit for LCW's, is an excellent feat for Morten Frost, the Technical Director,in his first year of assuming the post.

It can't be helped if LCW felt his unchallenged preeminent position in BAM or MAS badminton threatened. Needless to say, for far too long, BAM has been over-reliant on him alone to deliver the goods and at the same time devoting a large part of their best resources on him specifically, including accolades, not to mention all the time, effort and special treatment accorded as for no-one else.

That's not to say he doesn't deserve it , of course he does in MAS situation, but even so it should be proportionate to his abilities and achievements as the years go by though initially there'd be a tendency to grant him much more, to overdo it, as he is the nation's sole and brightest prospects for Olympic gold and other major titles. Now, as Lee CW is in his twilight years and in view of that still elusive gold, it is high time for BAM to strike a proper and healthy balance for, obviously, MAS badminton is not only just one Lee CW.

The overall growth and development of the sport of badminton is equally if not more important than facilitating LCW to attain his personal goals which no doubt coincide with the nation's. What about the near future when LCW is no longer around ? Clearly, BAM is fully aware of the necessity and urgency of fostering the next generation of players for the post-LCW era or be caught terribly short.

I believe that's why BAM headhunted and poached Morten Frost as Technical Director, equivalent to Head Coach, and tasked him to bring the whole of MAS badminton to a higher level. For sure, that is the main contractual term signed with him, not so much to focus on helping LCW achieving his target. Naturally, Morten Frost knew where his priorities lie and he is duty-bound to carry out his responsibilities, work out a realistic time-table and set well thought-out plans towards meeting Key Performance Indicators as his own career depends on it, absolutely.

Unfortunately, as it turns out, Lee CW and him seem to be at cross purposes as they each pursue their individual aims, which sometimes overlap and occasionally clashes, presumably. The slippery mat incident is the spark that lit the fuse, so to speak, and the rest is history.

Unquestionably, Lee CW really shouldn't have anything to complain about BAM, his personal differences with Morten aside, as he is undeniably the greatest beneficiary of the MAS sport system and the state. In fact, he ought to think of how best to repay the nation. In my humble opinion, persevering to strive hard to clinch a major title, that elusive gold, is not the only way for him to do so.

justinloong likes this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    if i were a self-centered diva, yes.

where are the interviews of the other players on the team? exactly.

all we see is one man making malaysia look and feel like a one man team.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Very good point. I think the team spirit is important in grooming the young players into champions, because it motivates and gives discipline. By being so centred on one man, the Malaysian team is perhaps lacking in this aspect?

alien9113 likes this.
  20. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Ah, now this is where I enjoy your "putting down LCW" posts and again, I would love to give other people the other side of the coin, using your post as a basis. This civil discussion is really making me tick, some other forums go ballistic with personal attacks and insulting parents' when their favorite brand/player/whatever is being put down like that, but man, here I really enjoy the civility and really, neutrality in terms of feelings/hostility.

Didn't wanna type another essay but hey, why not.

Anyway I won't be doing any translation on the links I provide, I'm here to comment my views, not translate. But I would like to say whatever I type, aka the happenings, is as what's reported; nothing fantasy or plucked from air. My views, however, are.

http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/1615676/ (18 Feb) - This "OLIVE branch", hah, is essentially MF backtracking on whatever he thought would benefit the youngsters mentally by not getting their asses handed to LCW day in day out. Guess what, it's now reversing. MF messed with the standout of the lot; and now he's unstirring whatever he's done. Reeks of complete guilt and of course, stress from everybody above him to "pacify the star because your idea mucked it up big time from the start".

Next up on "what would MF do", this (20Feb): http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/1616274/
    Now this move to me is complete utter bullcrap, only trying to serve the purpose of him being "be all things to all men" and trying to unshit the shitstorm he brewed thus far. Asking NSI to help with custom insole making and forcing/mandating everyone to get customs done at this point is like "oh snap, fire's burning; quick; get me any liquid you can find" comedy that he's writing himself. Since the man himself said that the Danish national team mandates all players who are in the squad to use customs, why only choose now to segue this exact technical enforcement? This should have been from day 1! (or first month, benefit of doubt getting into the role and position)
    Cross inferring this mandate to the current mess; common sense would dictate that it's the OUTER RUBBER sole that is the main contact point to Victor's court mat, and the lack of friction/grip is what causes someone/LCW to slide and tear his MCL; so this inner insole malarky just reeks of "nice head guy PR" Frost undoing his own shitstorm by whatever he can, because he's in the position and has the power. If it was an ankle/ PF injury, I'll give MF all the credit by being the saviour to the disaster.
    If he is to show genuine care to remedy the situation, he should be grilling the manufacturer (Victor) or that cleaning lady in the closet to clean the surface much more often. From my own shallow inference, there is very little link between LCW's injury and this, so the move at this time just tries it's best to enforce what Justin L calls "respectable, admirable and wise manner" behavior that MF is trying to show everyone. I scoff.

And now; today (22 Feb), comes this: http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/1616804
    BAM stepping in and doing what I previously posted here (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...lee-chong-wei-李宗伟.39718/page-643#post-2530100) ; which is gather resources and polishing the diamond till it bloody blinds everyone (hopefully) as to what is essentially the most over-hyped tournament with no payout in August: the WC, aka Water Close.... I ,I... mean World Champs.

Crux of the story is this: Hendrawan & Tay Seu Bock to head a small special project group till August with 5 other MS guys to train and practice and help LCW get his crown this year; by-effect (hopefully,ideally) is that these youngsters who were already Hendrawan & TSB's disciples to start with would up their game as well.MF TO HAVE NO SAY OR AUTHORITY IN SAID GROUP while HDW gets promoted to part of the coaching committee and report directly to upper management on progress of group.
    Of note: this was MF's idea, BAM took it and fine-tuned it, with the 5 tournament planning and finances to be decided at a later date.

Now come on, COME ON. Tell me in my face this isn't someone micromanaging, ****ed up the equilibrium, and now just backing off and hoping the earthquake un-shaking itself and praying the good ol' days will come back. MF "messed" with Goh Jin Wei, she quieted down or got repressed (because newbie young'in), but who knew, next up; the biggest standout who happens to have so many medals and titles, overflowed and exploded like a bottle of Coke jammed with Mentos and can't stop ejaculating off the top after it started, now this is what I call getting your hands burnt after playing with fire (how apt, the fire of pride in Malaysians' hearts).
    I've had a similar incident in real life, new boss comes in and goes "everything is gonna change around here" and then within 2 weeks, a spectacular firework of dissent and words. Reverse gear follows immediately.

I guess MF has a stand of "everyone should progress together while no one should especially stand out", but does anyone else have a chance of winning even Grand Prix Golds consistently?

As a side note: if you came into work sick, and your supervisor says "quit if you can't take care of yourself better" compared to "how are you, oh my working while sick", would you go Vengaboys (boom boom boom boom) on him/her?

So since this was MF's idea, the 2 sides are "respectable, admirable and wise mannered" MF (*cough*), the other being "undoing his own shitstorm because he has the power". You choose?
    It's a cumulative blowout of everything MF has done (subjectively wrong) in the past 1.5 years, not just a stupid whining of not changing court mats, even the most introverted of types (especially them) when having a blowout, is the most spectacular.