DUBAI World Superseries Finals 2016 - DAY-1 : Group Stage Matches (14th December)

Discussion in 'BWF Superseries Finals 2016' started by CLELY, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Not sure how VA is gonna continue competing with a ankle injury, even a slight one- like a strain. Ankle pain can only get worse, never better without rest.

2. Vijay P.

Vijay P. Regular Member

It was an impeccable performance from TTY . She was in complete control over a hapless opponent. I hope TTY's form stays right up to the finals to clinch the gold.

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah, she was fab yesterday. I wish she reaches the finale and the same for PVS, i desperately want a rematch. Also, PVS will rematch screamlina in the group stages after the OG.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Screamlina or screamalina? :D

5. Vijay P.

Vijay P. Regular Member

I do hope PVS has a good run.She is one determined lady. But ha ha she cannot match CM's ear blasting scream. PVS celebratory yelp would be dwarfed.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sun Yu had a pretty good go at shouting out at the end of her match against Carolina.

7. Vijay P.

Vijay P. Regular Member

Yes the habit is getting contagious. RI too enjoys a happy shout. Sun Yu had to release the pent up emotions after that tense match. I suppose these different personalties make the game more colourful.

8. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    It seemed like she was giving it back to CM. Fun it was. One thing's for sure..cm's shrieks get on opponent's nerve. Hell, everybody's nerves! But she has one awesome style of play. WS is at the most exciting stage and will continue to be so for few years i guess.

Any updates on LXR?

nilesh123 and Cheung like this.
  9. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Yeah, in his own words:

Had to pull out of @BWFDubaiFinals today due to illness. Feel gutted right now, but not much else to do than try and recover asap. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

nilesh123 likes this.
  10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    The integrity thing is nice.

#230 nilesh123, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    No actually she can (that's if she wants too) the last couple of tourneys PVS's "come on" (s) were pretty loud and did the trick. For a player like her whose performance hugely depends on what's going in her head, for a player who can suddenly loose all self confidence, these shouts/shrieks works wonders no wonder.

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    :cool:OMG yes Im so happy THW beat Jorgensen again

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Too excited so I post in the wrong thread lol

14. FeatherBlaster

I can't believe you guys, really...

You were going all out, finding translators and stuff, when someone had misquoted Marin out of context from a radio interview...

Now, when she's the one on the receiving end, of more or less every dirty time delaying trick in the book, you still make her the bad guy.

I mean, everyone could see, that Sun was out, grasping for air, even a minute after each rally, desperately delaying time, to regain wind, settle down, and outright annoy Marin. Umpire lets her do it - in fact, he does the most stupid thing that most umpires often do in these situations, starts discussing with the player, without really doing anything - result: the time delay gets even bigger, and the player is not punished. In these situations, there's nothing better for Sun, than having the referee calling her to the chair, spending time, but not giving a red card. For Marin, that's almost like facing two people delaying the match.

Chen Jin knows exactly what's going on, and apart from Sun herself, he's probably the person on the entire arena, who knows how close Sun came to actually loose this match. He shouldn't argue with Marin at all, just let her pass by, and not respond. My best guess is that Chen Jin encouraged the time delays from the bench during the match - if anyone, he would have enough experience to know that was the only way to bag this one. And as the coach, he should see this, and push the limit.

Now, we had a very long discussion about faking injuries or the impact of such during matches - and so many of you China supporters had a lot to say.

This time, I'll just settle with an observation:
    I'm happy for Sun, that her knee injury at 20-19 (after having missed 6 matchpoints and being totally out of energy), was treated successfully in 1 minute, by spraying cold spray onto her neopren knee support and leg wrappings. It's good we have such skilled doctors, who knows exactly which cloths to cool down, to treat such a knee injury :)

Even GC said it during the live broadcast, that there were no problem with the knee or support, even 1-2 seconds after the rally was over, then all of a sudden....

------------------------------------

And before anyone starts talking about the new towel down rules - I'm pretty sure they don't allow you to spend so much time to towel down, every other point, AND THEN go around, drinking water, wandering around on court, taking instructions from the bench, followed up by raising your hand to the serve... Get real, if you really can't see what went down here, I take it that you have never played competitively yourselves, ever.

PS: My late reply is due to the fact, that I didn't see this match live - Sun's behavior was mentioned by Danish expert commentators yesterday, so I thought I'd take a look at it :)

PPS: I'd have much more respect for statements like: "Sun played her chance, by stretching her gamesmanship to the max, just within what's acceptable", or "I think it's OK that they use these tactics against Marin, given that her own behavior is not exactly textbook material". That would have been an honest opinion.

(This post is not 100% aimed at you Justin, it's also for the other guys who's posts you replied to).

Vijay P. and nokh88 like this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Obviously, the umpire concerned would take it that you're taking it out on him, issuing a verbal warning and then later a yellow card and not red card is a miscarriage of justice, to you that is. And your guessing Chen Jin actually encouraged it is simply gratuitous criticism.

Your PPS statements suggesting we should put it in a politically correct manner to be palatable though it'd be seen, at least by you, as no more no less than the blunt remarks we (not me alone) made calling a spade a spade as being unnecessarily harsh on poor Marin who for once seemed to be on the receiving end of what she often dished out to others which even you don't deny.

Finally, please don't mix the issue with her radio interview that has nothing whatsoever to do with this case. Well, I stand by what I've said on both counts. I can't think of any players who would confront the opponent's coach whose English is clearly wanting, the more so when it's the umpire that is in charge on court as well as the tournament referee indirectly; she's barking up the wrong tree.

Frankly, such a minor incident, almost commonplace if not for Marin's (over)reaction, our responses were short and sharp, no prolonged discussion, quickly over and done with. Really, there's no cause for further exchanges. Enough said.

16. FeatherBlaster

Wouldn't you agree, that Sun's injury here probably wasn't an injury?

Given what many people said about the radio interview (no Chinese players would ever fake an injury), I think it has a little bit of relevance.

But you're right - the radio interview has no effect to what happened here - I should have split my post in two parts, and posted them in separate threads.

Regarding the extreme time-delaying tactics behavior of Sun - no need to discuss further. I just wanted to post my opinion (at least so that Robert wasn't the only one with his view). Let's just agree to disagree.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Is it Sun's supposed injury or her not getting ready at serve that riled Marin to gripe about it to the umpire and Chen Jin ? Wasn't Marin herself 'injured' in her match with Sindhu (?) similar ?

As for delaying tactics, remember, say, the AE match involving Wang Shixian and Nozomi Okuhara, and we can easily point out a few other incidents involving other players, I mean, compared with which, what happened in the Sun Yu - Marin match pales in comparison. Don't forget Marin was involved in one case where she was red-carded not once but twice, the match with Sung JH sometime ago.

Anyway, we're not here to settle old scores. it's just one of those days where a particular player was warned and yellow-carded for a common rule violation. No big deal, no fuss about it. Let's move on. Frankly, if not for Marin's unwarranted outburst in her match with Sun Yu, some of us might even have a modicum of understanding,if not sympathy, for her. Fine, let's agree to disagree. Live and let live.

18. FeatherBlaster

Well, Chen just got away with more of the same in the WD final...
    Play.
    Play.
    Play.
    Come here (some talks, no cards, even further delay).
    Play.
    Play.

Umpire really need to coordinate their lines here. There are some umpires that are overcontrolling, not allowing players anything, while others are not strict enough on time delays, handling it in a way that benefits the player doing the time delay.

BWF should set out a clear line here - what's allowed and what's not. And then instruct all referees on how to handle this.

They should go:
    Play.
    Play.
    Yellow card. Play.
    (per haps on more Play).
    Red card. Play.

No discussions, no bull ****.

livewire and Cheung like this.
  19. Helix99

Helix99 Regular Member

Marin had blister on her feet, she immediately treated it on interval.

20. lisa bitch hannigan

lisa bitch hannigan Regular Member

2 out of 5 came true