DUBAI World Superseries Finals 2016 - DAY-2 : Group Stage Matches (15th December)

Discussion in 'BWF Superseries Finals 2016' started by CLELY, Dec 14, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Category
    : BWF Superseries Premier

Venue : Hamdan Sports Complex, Dubai-UAE

Total Prize-Money : US$1,000,000

Tournament Website : http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/destination-dubai/

Tournament Prospectus : http://system.bwfbadminton.com/uplo...erseries Finals 2016 - Players Prospectus.pdf

Knock-Out Stage Draw : 16th December 2016

Dubai time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=6765&forma=Find Time

Live Streaming : -

- http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=c2J2b2JoK2F0Y3ZsbmhZ&c=en&i=eWlhaXVidGd1bA№f№f

DAY-2 ORDER OF PLAY (09.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...94939C-80B9-42B5-9BCB-97B1F842B8F1&d=20161215

*Match Highlights :
    - Son Wan Ho (KOR) v Viktor Axelsen (DEN)
    - Tai Tzu Ying (TPE) v Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
    - Sun Yu (CHN) v P.V. Sindhu (IND)
    - Akane Yamaguchi (JPN) v Carolina Marin (ESP)
    - Gideon/Sukamuljo (INA) v Conrad/Kolding (DEN)
    - Goh VS/Tan WK (MAS) v Li JH/Liu YC (CHN)
    - Juhl/Pedersen (DEN) v Chen QC/Jia YF (CHN)
    - Ko SH/Kim HN (KOR) v Jordan/Susanto (INA)

Three stunning defeats of first day tournament involved prominent names, world number one Lee Chong Wei, two Olympic Champions, Carolina Marin and Ahmad/Natsir that indicating highly competitve event started from very early round.

Back from hamstring injury after two months break made Lee Chong Wei looked sluggish and surprised by superb Son Wan Ho, the Korean played his best badminton to overcome tournament strong favourite despite limping head to head statistics favours to Malaysian hero. Lee was struggling and followed Son's rhythm in first game that ended with 21-10. In second game, trade points between two players happened until 15-15 then the Korean injected pace with his cross-court smashes several times to seal the match, 21-16. This winning is definitely will boost Son's confidence to go further here. Both Danish stars, Viktor Axelsen and Jan O Jorgensen also have good start to dispose HKG qualifiers, Ng Ka Long and less-prepared Hu Yun respectively. The left-handed Tian Houwei demolished Marc Zwiebler in two quick games and he will see Hu Yun in second group match.

Two-time World Champion Carolina Marin must work extra effort in next ties to keep her chance alives in Dubai as she swallowed dramatic defeat in opening match against Sun Yu despite the Spaniard saved 8 match point after trailed behind 13-20. Another clash in group B, Rio silver medalist P.V. Sindhu dropped first game before tuned her attacking style in next two games to beat 2014 Dubai semifinalist Akane Yamaguchi. World number one Tai Tzu Ying continued her fine form to outmaneuver Chinese teenager He Bingjiao also newly-crowed Korean Master champion the on-fire Sung Ji Hyun downed Ratchanok Intanon.

Men's doubles discipline saw Danish veterans Boe/Mogensen pulled out due to Mathias Boe illness, leaving only three contenders in group B to hunt semifinal ticket. Last year beaten finalist Chai/Hong scored victory over their younger teammates, Li/Liu who will take on Rio silver medalists Goh/Tan today. In group A, Denmark pair Conrad/Kolding and Indonesians Gideon/Sukamuljo manage top two in group standing after defeated Pratama/Suwardi and Kamura/Sonoda respectively.

It's heavy task for defending champion Luo twin sisters to defend their crown, lost to Chang/Lee in opening match and the Chinese will up against top contender, Olympic Champion Matsutomo/Takahashi today. Chang/Lee have bright prospect to book final four spot if they can pass Japan number two Fukuman/Yonao. China new hopefuls in women doubles category, Chen/Jia prove their potential to dispose Korean number one Jung/Shin and another high profile pair await them this morning, Juhl/Pedersen who outplayed Malaysian pair Vivian Hoo/Woon yesterday.

A gruelling opening tie in group of hell witnessed Fischer/Pedersen booked crucial winning over top-seed Ko/Kim. Reigning All England Champion won easily over their more illustrious compatriots Ahmad/Natsir as Liliyana Natsir is still hampered by knee injury, hard chance for the Olympic Champion to move into next stage. China talented duo Zheng/Chen are favoured to top group B after defeated their seniors Lu/Huang in three games, today the world number three will be challenged by last year winner Adcock/Adcock. The English married couple made perfect start to destroy Japanese combination Kazuno/Kurihara.

LIVE TV COVERAGE (01.00pm, Court 1) :

1) Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN) v Luo Ying/Luo Yu (CHN)
    2) Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong (MAS) v Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen (CHN)
    3) Tai Tzu Ying (TPE) v Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
    4) Son Wan Ho (KOR) v Viktor Axelsen (DEN)
    5) Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen (DEN) v Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir (INA)
    6) Sun Yu (CHN) v Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND)

Master and roy7497 like this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I love how it's always WD to start the day. How cute.

I mean it's not that I will change the channel if a MS match opens the show.

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    C´mon Zwiebler, please win

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I didn't know Kamura/Sonoda are so far ahead of Pratama/Suwardi.
    What a pair !

5. 124windsor

124windsor Regular Member

badminton coach
    We are at the end of this Olympic year, and watching the first day of the Dubai finals, I have to raise the question about the current standing of the BWF. Badminton not being an Olympic sport needed, quality injection to qualify, and stand up with the more traditionally accepted disciplines, and really reached the plateau during the Beijing Olympics.
    As I see the current Danish dominated leadership, heavily working on bringing mediocrity in the sport, and I don't like it.
    First they brought an unqualified commentator to lead the YouTube broadcaster. I say banal self explanatory things. while watching tournaments too, but at least there is no microphone front of my mouth. With big financial backing BWF cannot find a qualified broadcaster is ridiculous.
    Then they legalized one of the mix double Danish players double motion service, and his partners unreasonable extended time to take the service, after in ready position.
    Next was under the name of international expansion, and exposure, give priority unqualified players to enter
    top level tournaments, and hiring umpires making the most ridiculous decisions during super series tournaments.
    Then came the proposal reducing the games to 11 points, that they want to experiment after the last Olympics.
    The intention is clear. Allowing unprepared, unfit players to entertain us viewers.
    The last year Dubai finals matches already carried features of mediocrity, and seeing the first day matches in 2016,that was very apparent in all the matches yesterday.
    BWF should revamp the current leadership, because with this trend, I'll rather play on my level, than watching somebody else who perhaps little better player than I.
    Badminton is a tough sport, and mediocrity balanced by irritating ranting, legalized unsportsmen like conducts, or providing extra rest as this current leadership's intention leads to loosing fan base, and the Olympic berth.
    Think about it!

visor, SibugiChai and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The energetic Kamura/Sonoda score first ever victory over Pratama/Suwardi, 21-15 / 21-9, tough chance for the Indonesians to stay in competition after suffer losing twice.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He Bingjiao was under par yesterday, I hope she performs better today. But Sung JH is a tricky proposition, her height and reach just like Sindhu can be difficult to deal with if you're not up to it.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

HBJ's body language is concerning.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    no doubt lot of players not taking this seriously, i dunno why?

but i can see the danish players taking it seriously

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Since winning the JPN,French and Bitburger titles, He Bingjiao is struggling to reproduce the same form lately. Disappointing.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

HBJ's deft touches are on and off

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Something's not right with He Bingjiao, her body language is telling.

13. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    I agree with your observation. She was totally not focused and had no will to win. I will just accept that she lost to the better player today.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, both Tai TY and Sung JH are certainly top notch players, highly experienced, no doubt about that.

I'm just concerned that He Bingjiao is strangely not showing much intensity, and little or no sense of urgency, so unlike her recently that it makes me wonder what's wrong with her. Is she beginning to feel the pressure of the burden of expectation thrust upon her by the sudden absence of her three illustrious seniors, LXR, WYH and WSX ? Perhaps I expected too much from her, she needs time to mature and progress, accumulate experience, gain more exposure and find her footing now that she is fully transited into the senior pro circuit.

The problem is CHN WS is facing a crisis of sorts, a deficit in talents to quickly fill the void or shortfall , and there's no way of knowing with any certainty when or how LXR will perform in her comeback sometime next year. So for the time being, the heavy responsibilities of stepping up to the plate fall squarely on the relatively young shoulders of Sun Yu and He Bingjiao with their shortcomings and vulnerabilities evident and exposed now and then, clearly lacking in stability and consistency. Whether it's themselves or their coaches pushing them hard, their current uneven form is both concerning and revealing, either they rise to the occasion in good time or crumble under the weight suddenly much to the detriment of their young career.

In my humble opinion, neither Sun Yu nor He Bingjiao seem fully ready to take up the mantle yet, apparently the unexpected predicament they suddenly find themselves in are more than they can handle at the moment. Quite naturally, this kind of trying situation often happens whenever you don't have a smooth transition between the old guards and the new. Just my musings.

Paul Hand likes this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The afternoon session is now beginning.

16. lisa bitch hannigan

lisa bitch hannigan Regular Member

i still think SUNG Ji Hyun is the weakest of 8 ws

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Today, Lee CW is not on TV court.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To me, the most improved WS are P V Sindhu, He Bingjiao, Akane Yamaguchi - in that order.

For Tai Tzu Ying it's more like her returning to top form, for the time being.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It is inconceivable that Lee CW is going to upset us today.:p:D

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Matsutomo/Takahashi in devastating form